ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for UK Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

parikhvishal
Newly Registered

Applying for UK Citizenship

Post by parikhvishal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:36 pm

Hi,

I have received my ILR last year 14th March 2011 along with my wife. I came to UK on 19th March 2006 and my wife came to UK on 8th April 2006. We both received ILR without issue and we don't have much of gap (mainly for holidays).

My question is - can we both apply for british citizenship from 15th March 2012 or I can apply after 19th March 2012 and my wife need to apply aftter 8th April 2012. I am confused as I read some where that I need to finish 5 years and 1 year need to be out of immegration contol so that mean I need to finish full 6 years (with strict start date to end date). Am I correct or we both can apply for British citizenship from 15th March as we both have completed 5 years in UK on that date? Does 1 year out of immegration control is counted in 5 year period?

Can you please help and suggest if there would be any issue applying from 15th March 2012 for both of us or we need to apply post 8th April to finish full 6 years?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:08 am

14th March 2012. See Q1 in FAQ - most common questions.

The 5 years residence period for naturalisation includes the 1 year free from immigration control.