ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Which ESOL?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mghe

Which ESOL?

Post by mghe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Dear Friends,

I want to know that if my wife can take any ESOL exam(Key/prime or flyer etc) and just score above A1, would this suffice the English language requirements for FLR(M)? Is ESOL the most easiest or is there any other one that the wider community prefers? Please Advice. I just weighing options against the NARIC route as her Bachelors is not recognised in the PBS calculator.

Rgds,
mghe

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi

Yes that is correct, as long as the qualification is in the approved English language tests:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

mghe

Post by mghe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:01 am

Hi Harv,

That`s great , any suggestions on which one is easy, and can be taken in a short prep time.

-mghe

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:13 am

Hi mghe

Sorry I do not know an answer to that.

When applying from outside the UK the two most common exams people take are IELTS and TOEIC. Amongst these two TOEIC is the easiest to take.

From inside the UK, I think you should contact the awarding body or the institute to get any information you require on the course/qualification i.e. ESOL etc.

PS - IELTS and TOEIC certificate has an expiry date of 2 years, ESOL in some cases has no expiry date.
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:37 am

mghe wrote:Hi Harv,

That`s great , any suggestions on which one is easy, and can be taken in a short prep time.

-mghe
if your wife has a degree taught in English why would she need that much prep or the easiest test? It depends on where she is taking it as to which tests are available.

DieselD

Post by DieselD » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:56 am

I took the ESOL test Level A1 in the UK. It is very simple speaking and listening only. If you can speak basic English then you will pass. Takes 4 to 6 weeks to get the certificate.

mghe

Post by mghe » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:03 am

Hi,

Yes, she is scared too much!!! I think some one told her that the requirement is IELTS level 7. Thanks for the advice guys, below is the response I got from ESOL. Its just every time we have contacted the university they dont treat alumni well and make the whole process frustrating...hence I thought it will be easy just to take the exam and forget about NARIC etc.

-mghe

Thank you for your enquiry.

The following Cambridge ESOL awards are recognised by the UK Border Agency for the language requirement for A1 Level visas:

Key English Test (KET)
Preliminary English Test (PET)
First Certificate in English (FCE)
Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
Business English Certificate (BEC) - all levels.
International Legal English Certificate (ILEC)
International Certificate in Financial English (ICFE)
ESOL Skills for Life (all levels - available in the UK only)
International English Language Testing System (band score 4 or above)
Business Language Testing Service (BULATS)

You can find further information regarding all of our awards on the following page:

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/index.html

Of these awards, KET is the mapped lowest on the Common European Framework, so might be considered the easiest. You can find a table showing how all of our exams are aligned to the Common European Framework (A1 - C2) on the link below:

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/exams-info/cefr.html

If you need to enter for one of these awards, you will need to contact an approved examination centre. You can search for centres near you on the following page:

http://cambridgeesol-centres.org/centres/index.do

To search for an IELTS centre, please visit http://www.ielts.org

To search for a Certificated BULATS Agent, please visit: http://www.bulats.org/Bulats/certificat ... nline.html

You will need to contact your chosen centre directly regarding fees and registration dates, as these vary from centre to centre. Please note that only Open centres will accept candidates who have not undertaken a course at their institution. Please also note that the Cambridge ESOL exams are not available to be taken online, and if there is no centre in your immediate area it will be necessary to travel in order to take the exam.

Please be aware that for our main suite exams Statements of Results are normally available online around 5–7 weeks after the exam for paper-based exams and two weeks after the exam for computer-based tests. You can see the exact release date on your Confirmation of Entry, which your centre should provide you with. Certificates are normally sent to exam centres within three months of the exam. Please contact your centre if you need to know the specific date.

The IELTS examination results are issued 13 days after the test date and the Certificated BULATS certificates can also be released 7-10 working days after taking the exam depending on how quickly the Agent arranges the marking. However, please note that both awards are only valid for 2 years.

I hope that this is of assistance.

Kind regards,

Stephanie Desveaux
ESOL Helpdesk
Cambridge ESOL

kamaljit kaur
- thin ice -

ESOL LEVEL A1 TEST FOR UK SETTLEMENT VISA

Post by kamaljit kaur » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:58 am

Married in UK??????
Looking for valid English Language Test for UK??????
Solution is HERE!!!!!!!!
A Benchmark
We deals in all UKBA approved testing and training of English Language Courses. Whether it is ESOL Level A1 test for UK spouse visa/settlement visa or B1 and B2 test (Level 6+) for UK student visa. We are highly experienced in teaching all level of students. Even a weakest student can clear these tests without much effort under our expertise training. We have our Head office in JALANDHAR & branch office in LUDHIANA. So students can join either in JALANDHAR or in LUDHIANA.
We are authourized from City & Guilds, London to take this test in our office premises in Ludhiana.
Edited by moderator.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: ESOL LEVEL A1 TEST FOR UK SETTLEMENT VISA

Post by Greenie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:07 am

[quote="kamaljit kaur"]Married in UK??????
Looking for valid English Language Test for UK??????
Solution is HERE!!!!!!!!
A Benchmark
We deals in all UKBA approved testing and training of English Language Courses. Whether it is ESOL Level A1 test for UK spouse visa/settlement visa or B1 and B2 test (Level 6+) for UK student visa. We are highly experienced in teaching all level of students. Even a weakest student can clear these tests without much effort under our expertise training. We have our Head office in JALANDHAR & branch office in LUDHIANA. So students can join either in JALANDHAR or in LUDHIANA.
We are authourized from City & Guilds, London to take this test in our office premises in Ludhiana.

why would anyone want to learn English from someone who can't write it themselves?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:59 am

Exactly Greenie. I've removed the contact to protect the members.

piogau88
Newly Registered

Post by piogau88 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:53 pm

When applying from outside the UK the two most common exams people take are IELTS and TOEIC. Amongst these two TOEIC is the easiest to take. Image