ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council Tax Benefit vs Single Person Discount

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

t-bag

Council Tax Benefit vs Single Person Discount

Post by t-bag » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi,

Is a single person discount considered to be a council tax benefit??

I'm asking this because i need to apply for ILR and my wife and I been leaving in the flat for quite sometime and i've only paid a dscounted council tax.

Need help asap - as if it is, i'll have to tell them that she's now leaving with me so i can get the right invoice.

Thanks!!

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:23 pm

single person's discount is not a benefit, how you are commiting an offence by not declaring that your wife is living with you and you should do so immediately.

t-bag

Re :

Post by t-bag » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:47 pm

Greenie, thanks a million for the clarification!! Guess that's all i needed to know. Yes, i'll tell them asap - A bit of an akward question but will they make me pay the previous months?? As she's been with me for quite some time (ie : 2yrs)

Thanks again!!

Glad to know that single person isn't tax benefit Whew!!

push
United Kingdom

Re: Re :

Post by push » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:29 pm

t-bag wrote:Greenie, thanks a million for the clarification!! Guess that's all i needed to know. Yes, i'll tell them asap - A bit of an akward question but will they make me pay the previous months?? As she's been with me for quite some time (ie : 2yrs)

Thanks again!!

Yes, they will.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Re :

Post by Greenie » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:30 pm

t-bag wrote:Greenie, thanks a million for the clarification!! Guess that's all i needed to know. Yes, i'll tell them asap - A bit of an akward question but will they make me pay the previous months?? As she's been with me for quite some time (ie : 2yrs)

Thanks again!!

i wouldn't breathe a sigh of relief just yet - you may not have had recourse to public funds but you have been fraudulently claiming council tax discount for two years - this can be taken quite seriously.

t-bag

Re

Post by t-bag » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:09 pm

Thanks and yes - i agree. Thing is : the fact that im being honest and want to do right, willing to pay back what i owe ; should that show a goodwill from my part? just a thought.

Thanks a lot for listening and answering.

Thx!!