ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 yr ILR at PEO

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

miyoco
Newly Registered

10 yr ILR at PEO

Post by miyoco » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:03 am

I am planning on applying for a 10 year ILR at the Croydon PEO.

I plan to do this on my own, but I was wondering whether doing it through an immigration lawyer would confer any advantage. I know that some OISC firms have a dedicated one day service. Would utilizing those services make it more likely for the immigration officers to be more lenient, or would the decision be no different from me going to Croydon alone?

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:04 am

Provided that you have all supporting docummentation of your legal 10 year stay period, I do not see why you should pay an additional amount of money for something that you can do.

And the immigration officers will certainly not be any more lenient because you're applying via an agent.

Other views?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:48 am

I'd agree. The system is designed so that applications do not need to go through agents or lawyers, and in straightforward cases it isn't necessary to use an agent.

I believe that you can get a one-day turn-around, if your case is straightforward, and you're prepared to go to the PEO yourself, and you're prepared to pay the fee.

Your case will not be dealt with more leniently if you use an agent or lawyer.

What an agent can do, of course, is ensure that your documentation is all present and correct.

The other thing that using an agent or lawyer will certainly do is to make it much more expensive.

Personally, I wouldn't think it worth it for most people, but others might have different views...

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:51 pm

I would add one more thing: read the guidance notes for the type of leave you applying for! And then read them again and again and again and make sure you are entitled to apply for that leave and that you have exactly what they ask for and more if you can.

The vast majority of rejected applications are because people apply for leave they are not entitled to, or apply for leave without having the correct documents because they didn't bother to prepare their application properly.

Unless your case is overly complicated you are just wasting good money using an agency or lawyer. (sorry workpermit.com!)
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Desperado2006
Newly Registered

Post by Desperado2006 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:53 pm

If you have all the stamps in the passport for the last 10 years, don't waste your money on agents. I did mine as 10 year legal stay and got my ILR 2 years ago.

ronnng

Post by ronnng » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:45 pm

Desperado2006 wrote:If you have all the stamps in the passport for the last 10 years, don't waste your money on agents. I did mine as 10 year legal stay and got my ILR 2 years ago.
Hi Desperado2006 ,

Do they only checked the stamps on the passport? What else would they be looking at.. ?

Thanks