ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

naturalisation benefit?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mrsi

naturalisation benefit?

Post by mrsi » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi everyone just a quick question i have got my cermoney done and got my naturalisation certificate it says from the date of issue i am granted british citizenship so if i dont apply for my passport am i still british citizen and should i write in any forms now british citizen in nationality column ?
also this naturalisation certificate is valid for life or you have to apply for passport to stay british citizen for good ?
can anyone please explain it with detail

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:03 pm

You are confusing between nationality (a fact - you are a British citizen) and passport (a proof - the travel document is a proof that the holder is a British citizen).

It's the nationality that grants your the right for a passport and not vice versa. In fact, there are several million Brits who don't hold a British passport. If they never travelled outside the UK, they don't really need one.

mrsi

Post by mrsi » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:40 pm

Jambo wrote:You are confusing between nationality (a fact - you are a British citizen) and passport (a proof - the travel document is a proof that the holder is a British citizen).

It's the nationality that grants your the right for a passport and not vice versa. In fact, there are several million Brits who don't hold a British passport. If they never travelled outside the UK, they don't really need one.
sorry jambo for confusing you just making sure so i am british citizen now since i have naturalisation certificate so even if i dont apply for british passport now i will remain british citizen for good ?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:48 pm

Correct.

saketjalan
Newly Registered

Post by saketjalan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:11 pm

HI Jambo.
Does taht mean that even after naturlisation I can travel to india on my Indian Passport and return on it.
also after I have had the naturliasation, does the 3 month limit on absence hold effective when I go to apply for passport

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:32 pm

saketjalan wrote:HI Jambo.
Does taht mean that even after naturlisation I can travel to india on my Indian Passport and return on it.
This question related to the Indian laws on nationality not the British ones. India doesn't allow dual nationality which means that once you become a BC at the ceremony (even without applying for a passport), you lose your Indian citizenship and should surrender your Indian passport back to the Indian government.
also after I have had the naturliasation, does the 3 month limit on absence hold effective when I go to apply for passport
There are no restrictions when applying for a passport if you are British. You can apply whenever you wish whereever you wish.