ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

1,500 migrants arrive in UK daily

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dawie
Diamond Member

1,500 migrants arrive in UK daily

Post by Dawie » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:41 pm

In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

British

Post by British » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:04 pm

Hmm - But hte govt. must understand that if legal immigrants don't come into the country, how will the govt. fund things like feeding british citizens with "benefits" (i.e. the ones that they get without working and paying tax), the potential up-comming cost of implementing the £100M worth border security enforcement stuff, etc.

Legal immigrants pay loads of taxes and NICs, but cannot claim any benefit for upto 5 years at a stretch, that British citizens have right to!

Also legal immigrants add to the wealth and capital creation in the UK.

So all in all, legal immigration rise is not a problem for UK but a boon!

Illegal immigration is bad, anyway! That needs controlling.

News items like this in media, makes British people think that in general immigrants are bad for the economy! And this affects badly, the legal immigrants image, who are really a boon to this country for reasons i have mentioned above.

If at all there has to be a big cry/talk in the media, they should only talk about illegal immigration and not immigration in general.

Having said that, if illegal immigration is in rise, its the government's fault! Not anybody else's.

Incidentally there is this new cost rise of immigration services and on that front, asking legal immigrants to pick up the total cost of this £100M border security thingy is absolutely horrendous, becuase the border security issues are not created by the legals, but the illegals.
Having said that the issue of illegals is to be resolved by the Government and not legal immigrants.

I don't understand why anybody fails to understand this.

Anyway... :-) Just some random thoughts!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:33 pm

Legal immigrants pay loads of taxes and NICs, but cannot claim any benefit for upto 5 years at a stretch, that British citizens have right to!
It's rather ironic, I think, that for all the complaints that British people make about benefit-scrounging immigrants, it's actually legal immigrants who pick up the tab for British people who scrounge benefits. In reality very few immigrants are entitled to benefits.

And where immigrants are illegally claiming benefits, who do you blame? The British government for their incompetent management of their benefits system or the immigrants who are taking advantage of the government's incompetence?
Illegal immigration is bad, anyway! That needs controlling.
More control just leads to more black-market activity. Look what's happened with drug control. It's an absolute failure because all that's happened is that drug production has been driven underground where it's out of the control of the government and in the hands of drugs gangs.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:22 pm

What I personally find ironic is the fact that we, immigrants, CHOOSE to come to the UK and then start slagging off the locals who are on benefits, which they are entitled to.

Maybe then we should decide to migrate to a country where there is no social security net for people to fall on.

British

Post by British » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:20 pm

:-) Well... its even more ironical to see the British people/media, etc moaning about legal immigrants being here in the country, who are actually "entitled" to be here because they were allowed to enter the country by the UK government, in the first place.

So what are they moaning about then? :-)

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:25 pm

Rogerio wrote:What I personally find ironic is the fact that we, immigrants, CHOOSE to come to the UK and then start slagging off the locals who are on benefits, which they are entitled to.

Maybe then we should decide to migrate to a country where there is no social security net for people to fall on.
I think the point we are making is that we are slagging off British people who are NOT entitled to benefits, i.e. those who falsely claim disability benefits when they are not disabled and those who falsely claim unemployment benefits when they are employed or are too lazy to find employment. The irony part comes into it when these very same people falsely claim immigrants are stealing their benefits when in fact immigrants are actually contributing to their benefits through the taxes that they pay.
Last edited by Dawie on Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:40 am

Welcome to those 1500 who entered UK TODAY!! :!: :lol:

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:00 am

And goodbye to the 1000 that left!

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:14 am

dont forget that these are 'Statistics"!
Where there is a will there is a way.

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:19 am

Don’t forget this is Sarcasm!

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:13 pm

I don't think there is any public funding system in the world that is abused to this degree.

Fact of the matter is, they "started discovering" the truth lately in the mid 90s that immigrants especially those from South Asia( legal or illegal) represented a major chunk of the population who abused the benefit system.

Now we have a government who is forced to spend millions and millions in combating benefit fraud. Again - from the tax payers hard earned money.

Keeping all this in mind -How can taxpaying native born British welcome
immigrants with a whole hearted & openmind. If they still do, they are not living in the 21st century!!

We ourselves dug the ditch and now there is no point in complaining immigration fees will rise to 1K or 10K or about the border controls. This is just bound to happen.

Take it or leave it and there is no way forward other than changing the "eat the cake free" attitude to come to this country and live without contributing to the public funds - thats the only way and better way of integrating to a society as far as I see it.

As I look back, the root cause of all these problems for immigrants is created by us - none other than our ancestor immigrants! Well done - atleast you have got us talking here.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:37 pm

Fact of the matter is, they "started discovering" the truth lately in the mid 90s that immigrants especially those from South Asia( legal or illegal) represented a major chunk of the population who abused the benefit system.
It is a common and popular misconception that immigrants are benefit cheats. The major chunk, as you put it, of the population who abuse the benefits system are British citizens, not immigrants, legal or otherwise.

The small minority of immigrants who somehow manage to abuse the system are a drop in the ocean compared to hundreds of thousands of British citizens who abuse the system regularly.
Keeping all this in mind -How can taxpaying native born British welcome immigrants with a whole hearted & openmind. If they still do, they are not living in the 21st century!!
Bear in mind that all "native born" British people ultimately all decended from immigrants themselves. There is also an argument, I believe, that the British public have a moral duty to welcome immigrants, especially immigrants from previous British colonies. Don't forget that the prosperity that the UK now enjoys was built off the back of the old British empire who raped, pillaged and plundered the natural resources of the countries that immigrants are now coming from. In addition, the British empire is mostly responsible for the dire state of most of these countries.
We ourselves dug the ditch and now there is no point in complaining immigration fees will rise to 1K or 10K or about the border controls. This is bound to happen for their miscreed.
I find your "Uncle Tom" mentality disturbing. It's like you have Stockholm Syndrome or something. We have dug no ditch. All immigrants are human beings who aspire to something better. We cannot be blamed for wild hysteria and popular misconception spread about us. It's not our fault that the UK government wants to spend millions combatting some perceived immigration "problem" when in reality there is no problem at all except for the narrow-mindedness of some people.
Take it or leave it and there is no way forward other than changing the "eat the cake free" attitude and without contributing to the public funds - thats the only way and better way of integrating to a society as far as I see it.
The only immigrants not contributing to public funds are those who have been pushed underground to work in the black market not because they want to, but because they have been forced to by draconian immigration laws. Given the choice most illegal immigrants would welcome the chance to become law-abiding, tax-paying members of society.
As I look back, the root cause of all these problems for immigrants is created by us - none other than our ancestor immigrants! Well done - atleast you have got us talking here.
Again, an utterly outrageous statement. I'm guessing you're the sort of person who blames rape victims for their misfortune because they were wearing a short skirt.

captain74

Post by captain74 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:06 pm

Bravo dawie! well said!

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:20 pm

Dawie, I atleast got you to do a quick-quote on my statements, now lets get on:

I don’t need a PhD in psychology to analyze your attitude, but you have thoroughly lost the point I was trying to make.

The points you have quoted could be classified as "Classic Repurcsions" which is not a highly uncommon phenomenon for forum addicts. So let me revert
The major chunk, as you put it, of the population who abuse the benefits system are British citizens, not immigrants, legal or otherwise.
If you rather quoted to say British citizens are football hooligans - I might have given an attempt to take your point :-)
British people ultimately all decended from immigrants themselves
Yes, so probably they cheated the benefit system there too where they decended, ha?. And may be we are seeing an avalanche of cheat tricks inspired from their anthropology anecdots. Come on - if you dont get inspired, atleast get something that will make you perspire.
I find your "Uncle Tom" mentality disturbing
Yes of course - if you keep reading between the lines especially when the book is in an inverted position.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:42 pm

vin123 wrote:Dawie, I atleast got you to do a quick-quote on my statements, now lets get on:

I don’t need a PhD in psychology to analyze your attitude, but you have thoroughly lost the point I was trying to make.

The points you have quoted could be classified as "Classic Repurcsions" which is not a highly uncommon phenomenon for forum addicts. So let me revert
The major chunk, as you put it, of the population who abuse the benefits system are British citizens, not immigrants, legal or otherwise.
If you rather quoted to say British citizens are football hooligans - I might have given an attempt to take your point :-)
British people ultimately all decended from immigrants themselves
Yes, so probably they cheated the benefit system there too where they decended, ha?. And may be we are seeing an avalanche of cheat tricks inspired from their anthropology anecdots. Come on - if you dont get inspired, atleast get something that will make you perspire.
I find your "Uncle Tom" mentality disturbing
Yes of course - if you keep reading between the lines especially when the book is in an inverted position.
Haha, I may not agree with you, but at least your mangled English and bad grammar make for funny reading. Keep it up, that's the best laugh I've had all day!

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:40 pm

Guys,

with all due respect to all, everyone's entitled to their own opion. When we state our views in a public forum, we are surely opening up for discussion (or at least opinions we don't necessarily agree with), and should accept the fact that there are (or respect) different points of views.

And comments about English proficiency are a bit below the belt, in my humble opinion.

Let's not lower the "politeness" bar...

;o)

Rogerio

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:50 pm

I retract my last statement, however I am still no closer to understanding the honourable member's last statement as his language usage is somewhat confusing.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:56 pm

Well said, Rogerio...

Attack an argument, by all means, but don't attack or insult the person making the argument.

Holding a particular view doesn't mean that a person is an Uncle Tom, a quisling, a net addict or anything else.

Please step back from the line.

[Added later] Oh, and Dawie - I've just seen your claimed retraction. Sarcasm doesn't help either.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:01 pm

Dear Dawie,
No offence taken - after all I am one among those million immigrants who landed at Heathrow with no English degree in hand or a grammar school honors. But does that stop me talking here with respectable members like you.

It would have been so helpful had you been more communicative rather writing a stiff necked reply. In other words, be "just and tolerant" (as our HomeOffice moto) to point out or ask it out the difficult part that sounded confusing.

Have a good weekend, Dawie.

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:28 pm

vin123, may I clarify something? If it's your assertion that people from South Asia account for a disproportionately large percentage of benefit fraud - the corollary of which is that they are inherently more dishonest - is there some evidence you have to back it up, or is it just a gut feeling?

There was a survery a couple of years ago testing honesty across different nations (I'm sorry it's not on the telegraph.co.uk site anymore). Sadly, Britons came near the bottom of the league. Dishonesty comes in various forms: Keeping the wrong change at a till, not pointing out when a sales assistant has made a pricing mistake, going to court to force a retailer to sell you a £99 product for 99p because he made a pricing mistake on his poster, claiming sexual discrimination/compensation at work just to "get back" at a boss you don't like... and a large section of the so called "personal injury" market, to name a few. It never ceases to amaze me how people here considered paragons of virtue, in positions of great trust, or otherwise "upholders of standards and decency" wouldn't flinch in the slightest to pad an insurance claim.

I make no excuses for any crime but when a man resorts to lies and fraud to feed his kids is he to be despised a bit less than the comfortably off middle class family who do it just because they can?

Cheats come in all colours. They are found in all countries. And some countries have more than others only when you use a yardstick that's tarnished by your own cultural references.

That the government spends millions on combating benefit fraud is indeed bad (or good, depending on how you look at it), but what does that have to do with immigration?

Never mind the "native born British"; do you welcome immigrants with open arms? Does this apply to all immigrants including senior bankers from the US, nurses from Australia, consultant surgeons from Canada, much needed plumbers from Poland, and IT staff from India? Or is there a particular nationality/region you'd prefer not to have immigration from?

What would be good is if you could come up with some facts to back up your position that Britain is a net economic loser from all this immigration. That doesn't seem to match either the official UK government position nor that of world economic fora.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:50 pm

ppron747 wrote:Well said, Rogerio...

Attack an argument, by all means, but don't attack or insult the person making the argument.

Holding a particular view doesn't mean that a person is an Uncle Tom, a quisling, a net addict or anything else.

Please step back from the line.

[Added later] Oh, and Dawie - I've just seen your claimed retraction. Sarcasm doesn't help either.
Firstly, analogy time - would you attack George Bush's policies or the his character? What if the two are inextricably linked? I don't think you can separate the view that someone holds from their character. If someone feels so strongly about an opinion that they are willing to air it in public then they should accept that both their opinion and themselves are fair game for an attack. I accept and take this risk when I air my opinions. It's part of the game.

Secondly, there's nothing in the least bit sarcastic about my retraction. Calling my retraction "sarcastic" implies that it was in some way ironic or said in jest. Unfortunately sarcasm does not lend itself to being easily expressed in written form. If indeed I was intending to be sarcastic I would have used some sort of visual marker to do so. However it was not sarcastic at all so I did not.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:48 pm

Dawie wrote:
I don't think you can separate the view that someone holds from their character. If someone feels so strongly about an opinion that they are willing to air it in public then they should accept that both their opinion and themselves are fair game for an attack. I accept and take this risk when I air my opinions. It's part of the game.
I read this is being unnecessarily rude, judgemental, offensive, pointless, and most certainly not in any way contributing to the common good this forum tries to enable.
Dawie wrote:... honourable member's last statement as his language usage is somewhat confusing.
And I think that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, as I said before...

I feel that this post should be locked.

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:11 am

I read this is being unnecessarily rude
Rogerio, your standards on rudeness are, er, interesting. People can insinuate that Asians are largely crooks and you let that pass but if someone maintains that a person can't be separated from his opinion you call that rude? The other adjectives are too ridiculous in this context to even comment on.

Why lock the thread? You seem to show a disproportionate interest in locking threads when the discussion isn't going your way. Now, if I say something about babies, prams and toys would that be insulting or sarcastic?
If someone feels so strongly about an opinion that they are willing to air it in public then they should accept that both their opinion and themselves are fair game for an attack.
Nah, there are certain categories who are exempt. Politicians, for example :)

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:32 am

Rogerio wrote: I read this is being unnecessarily rude, judgemental, offensive, pointless, and most certainly not in any way contributing to the common good this forum tries to enable.
Dawie wrote:... honourable member's last statement as his language usage is somewhat confusing.
And I think that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, as I said before...

I feel that this post should be locked.
Rogerio, your altruism is to be commended. If only you could channel all that self-rightousness into issues like global warming and world peace the world might just stand a chance.

Thank goodness we have you to protect the poor readers of this forum from my acidic tongue.

Now that's real sarcasm!

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:42 am

OL7MAX wrote:Why lock the thread? You seem to show a disproportionate interest in locking threads when the discussion isn't going your way.
Ol7max, discussions certainly don't have to go my way - but I suppose they have to kept to a certain degree of cordiality between the interested parties. I don't see what good there is in abusing someone because of their proficiency in English. If anything, I think it's utterly rude, to say the least. My understanding is that the key objective of this forum is to provide help to people and to discuss matters that are of benefit/interest to all. I'm old enough to know (as you, I suppose), that when you post on a forum, there is bound to be different opinions, and I am entitled to mine as well. I do not feel we, as a group, are producing anything of "value" in this discussion - just a pointless rude discussion whether one's capability of English is good enough to be taken seriously, and sarcastic commenting.
OL7MAX wrote: People can insinuate that Asians are largely crooks and you let that pass but if someone maintains that a person can't be separated from his opinion...
With all due respect, I don't think that by not replying to a particular opinion I subscribe to it. Please do not read my silence as agreement.
Dawie wrote: Thank goodness we have you to protect the poor readers of this forum from my acidic tongue.
Someone's got to do the job - thank you for appreciating.