ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right of entry as BC but non-BC/EU passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

friendinneed

Right of entry as BC but non-BC/EU passport

Post by friendinneed » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:21 am

Had an issue at the airport with the immigration officer saying that the PR stamp/ card in non-EU passport wasnt the right class of visa.

After some arguing at the stand, moved off into what I can only call a holding pen full other latins. Waited 30 minutes and get called back to the stand passport stamped and allowed through. No word of apology or explanation.

Having BC ceremony next week and traveling again almost straight afterwards so no time to apply for the British Passport.

As a British Citizen but traveling on a non-EU passport is there any way to help avoid a repeat of the above? Presumably as a BC they cannot deny entry? Is the certificate from the ceremony enough to prove BC?

Smallfamily

Re: Right of entry as BC but non-BC/EU passport

Post by Smallfamily » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:51 am

Once you neutralized as a british citizen i.e. after attending a BC ceremony ur PR stamp will automatically get expired/cancelled. On the airport you can't get through showing ur BC certificate as u are suppose to use a british passport to travel.
If immigration staff put any note on their system then ofcourse when u travel again its a greater chance that they may stop u again...might chk ur status that you are british now and ofcourse they can throw their questions regarding why you didn't apply for ur passport.

So my advice would be to wait and apply for passport and then travel...

Also note...

Technically they can't stop u when u british but ...technically they can stop you when you don't have a valid british travel document on you i.e. ur passport.

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:11 pm

Many thanks, didnt realise that :(

Spoke to UKBA Nationality team who say exactly the same as you but suggested speaking to the Immigration team at the port of return.

The chief immigration officer there say's they've never heard of such a thing and of cause a BC would be allowed in even if they only have a non-EU passport. He said he'll put notes on the system and it will be ok.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:55 pm

Smallfamily wrote:Once you neutralized as a british citizen i.e. after attending a BC ceremony ur PR stamp will automatically get expired/cancelled. On the airport you can't get through showing ur BC certificate as u are suppose to use a british passport to travel.
If immigration staff put any note on their system then ofcourse when u travel again its a greater chance that they may stop u again...might chk ur status that you are british now and ofcourse they can throw their questions regarding why you didn't apply for ur passport.

So my advice would be to wait and apply for passport and then travel...

Also note...

Technically they can't stop u when u british but ...technically they can stop you when you don't have a valid british travel document on you i.e. ur passport.
Permanent residence is not 'cancelled' when a person is granted citizenship. there should be no problem with travelling on the non-EU passport with the permanent residence card/stamp following naturalisation.

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Greenie wrote:Permanent residence is not 'cancelled' when a person is granted citizenship. there should be no problem with travelling on the non-EU passport with the permanent residence card/stamp following naturalisation.
According to the chap on the UKBA Nationality helpline it is invalidated by the fact you are British and therefore as a British person you cannot hold a visa to visit Britain.

According to the CIO I spoke at the airport to he has never heard the above before but says it could/ should be true but he thought it was "unfair" hence stating its noted permission will be given without unnecessary delay.

Will see how we get on in reality in 2 weeks time :?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:38 pm

friendinneed wrote:
Greenie wrote:Permanent residence is not 'cancelled' when a person is granted citizenship. there should be no problem with travelling on the non-EU passport with the permanent residence card/stamp following naturalisation.
According to the chap on the UKBA Nationality helpline it is invalidated by the fact you are British and therefore as a British person you cannot hold a visa to visit Britain.

According to the CIO I spoke at the airport to he has never heard the above before but says it could/ should be true but he thought it was "unfair" hence stating its noted permission will be given without unnecessary delay.

Will see how we get on in reality in 2 weeks time :?
If the person has Permanent Residence under the EEA regulations, this is not a visa and is not invalidated by the holder being granted citizenship