ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 4 EUFam - out of country for 2 years

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

abz7890
Newly Registered

Stamp 4 EUFam - out of country for 2 years

Post by abz7890 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Hi,

I hope someone can advise me.

I have a Stamp 4 EUFam GNIB card issued by Garda,Ireland as my husband is an EU national. This card is valid till December 2013 but me and my husband has been out of Ireland for 2 years now.
We are going back to Ireland in May due to my husband's job.

My question is, is my EUFam card still valid and I can just buy ticket and fly with my husband to Ireland or do I need to re-apply for entry visa etc?

Thanks for your help

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: Stamp 4 EUFam - out of country for 2 years

Post by ca.funke » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Hi abz7890,

Officially the validity ends after 6 monhs of non-presence.
>>2004/38/EC, Article 11, Section 2<< wrote:Validity of the residence card

The validity of the residence card shall not be affected by
temporary absences not exceeding six months a year, or by
absences of a longer duration for compulsory military service
or by one absence of a maximum of 12 consecutive months
for important reasons such as pregnancy and childbirth, serious
illness, study or vocational training, or a posting in another
Member State or a third country.
Due to the lack of an Irish registration system, I´m pretty sure no-one will ever notice.

I think you cannot run into severe problems anyway: You have the right to reside and work in Ireland based on your marriage to an EU-citizen in any case! The 4EUFam card is merely a way to prove that you have mentioned rights. Since you still hold the rights, the fact that you were away shouldn´t really matter.

Rgds, Christian
Last edited by ca.funke on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

adlexy

Re: Stamp 4 EUFam - out of country for 2 years

Post by adlexy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:26 pm

abz7890 wrote:Hi,

I hope someone can advise me.

I have a Stamp 4 EUFam GNIB card issued by Garda,Ireland as my husband is an EU national. This card is valid till December 2013 but me and my husband has been out of Ireland for 2 years now.
We are going back to Ireland in May due to my husband's job.

My question is, is my EUFam card still valid and I can just buy ticket and fly with my husband to Ireland or do I need to re-apply for entry visa etc?

Thanks for your help
Not sure why you are so worried; no one in GNIB will notice that you ever left :)

Go ahead, buy your tickets and walk in and continue your life as normal. Though the EU Directive expects this to "expire" after about 6months or 12months depending on the circumstances, in Ireland, there is no tracking method to enforce this.

I don't think it will be "reasonable" to walk into GNIB and tell them you have been gone for 2years. And if you dont tell them, I can assure you that I wouldnt! Cross my heart :)

I think you have nothing to worry about :)

All the best