ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Going to apply for PSW on Provisional results - Help

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

envisageamit0024
Newly Registered

Going to apply for PSW on Provisional results - Help

Post by envisageamit0024 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:12 pm

Hello there,
I had a resubmission of my dissertation on 31st Dec. My Results are already out and I have cleared my dissertation according to the university. But they are not ready to finalize my results as the Board that finalizes everything won't be meeting until May. I am very sure I will graduate in June. But since the PSW is being cancelled and I have only provisional results to support my case, I have no other option but to try. What do I do? I was asked to involve an immigration lawyer by my Career advisory services will that help? Thanks Amit. Does applying from outside UK make any difference on your application.

P.S What If I attach transcripts and a letter detailing all the situation along with my application, Will they consider this? Please advice

I appreciate any help.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:25 pm

Nothing in the rules or guidance suggests that it is permissible to be granted PSW in situations where the outcome of a degree award is pending and subject to conditions, rather than actually awarded. So logic would demand that if you don't have the award by the date PSW closes then you can't meet the requirements.

If you want to make an application on the basis of your current situation and what I have stated then you are at liberty to do so.

RandomPasserby
Newly Registered

Post by RandomPasserby » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:10 pm

You cannot apply for PSW with provisional results. You will end up wasting a huge sum of money and being rejected anyway. Your only option right now is to talk to your supervisor and your international students department and see if there's anything they can do in your case. If not, too bad for you.

envisageamit0024
Newly Registered

Got my letter..now what?

Post by envisageamit0024 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:09 pm

Hello all,

Thanks for all the inputs.
I recently recieved the letter with which I will be applying . It goes something like this:

'I can confirm that your Msc project has been marked and recieved a pass.
This is to certify that (name) submitted a project which has been marked as a pass by the examiners. At the Msc award board in May 2012 (Name) will therefore be recommended for the award of M.Sc in Brewing and distilling from Heriot Watt University. The student was informed of this by email on the 28th Feb 2012. This is a postgraduate qualification, above the level of a Uk bachelor's degree. Heriot Watt University is a recognised degree awarding body'

Now what do you guys think? Is there a way that I can appeal if I am rejected. Can I attach my tuition fee receipts to show I have paid all my dues to the UNIVERSITy?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:20 pm

It still remains that you are going to be awarded a degree in May and do not have that now. I reiterate that the guidelines are clear on the date of award. However, given that you have no other choice if you want to remain in the UK, it's absolutely fair to say that you should apply and hope for the best and appeal if necessary.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:20 pm

this letter does not say you have been awarded your degree, it says you will be recommended for an award in May 2012.

RandomPasserby
Newly Registered

Post by RandomPasserby » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:28 pm

That letter is not enough. You need one that says when you started your program, when it ended, when your award was given, the sponsor number of the institution, etc.

Nefertiiti
American Samoa

Re: Going to apply for PSW on Provisional results - Help

Post by Nefertiiti » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:41 am

envisageamit0024 wrote:
Hello there,
I had a resubmission of my dissertation on 31st Dec. My Results are already out and I have cleared my dissertation according to the university. But they are not ready to finalize my results as the Board that finalizes everything won't be meeting until May. I am very sure I will graduate in June. But since the PSW is being cancelled and I have only provisional results to support my case, I have no other option but to try. What do I do? I was asked to involve an immigration lawyer by my Career advisory services will that help? Thanks Amit. Does applying from outside UK make any difference on your application.

P.S What If I attach transcripts and a letter detailing all the situation along with my application, Will they consider this? Please advice

I appreciate any help.

Hi Envisageamit, unfortunately as the visa is points based, it doesn't matter what your status is, what matters is if you have the requisite documents to prove your status. The degree has to be conferred, not recommended, with the date of conferral clearly stated.
I think your uni should make a few exceptions for international students and perhaps convene an exam board at an earlier date than May. However this is up to the university's discretion and if they don't do so, then you might be looking at applying for the tier 2 sub category (which is yet to be fully explained). But whatever you decide good luck with it.
Nefertiiti

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:56 am

there is not going to be a tier 2 sub category. Tier 4 graduates with relevent qualifications will be able to apply under tier 2 (general) as they can currently but will now be exempt from the RLMT from 6th April.

OP - if you want to try PSW then your only option is to apply with the letter you have and hope that you are awarded your degree before the UKBA makes a decision - in which case you can send the correct letter from the university which confirms this, in accordance with the requirements set out in the policy guidance.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:09 am

Greenie wrote:OP - if you want to try PSW then your only option is to apply with the letter you have and hope that you are awarded your degree before the UKBA makes a decision - in which case you can send the correct letter from the university which confirms this, in accordance with the requirements set out in the policy guidance.
Agree.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Nefertiiti
American Samoa

Post by Nefertiiti » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:12 pm

Greenie wrote:there is not going to be a tier 2 sub category. Tier 4 graduates with relevent qualifications will be able to apply under tier 2 (general) as they can currently but will now be exempt from the RLMT from 6th April.

OP - if you want to try PSW then your only option is to apply with the letter you have and hope that you are awarded your degree before the UKBA makes a decision - in which case you can send the correct letter from the university which confirms this, in accordance with the requirements set out in the policy guidance.
I think the tier 2 visa wherein tier 4 holders may apply without being subjected to a labour market is in a sense a sub category as it deviates from the standard tier 2 conditions. Some universities do state that there is a tier 2 sub category being introduced, but that the guidance notes will only be published after PSW closes in April. Only then can students apply. This is what I understand.
Nefertiiti

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:18 pm

Nefertiiti wrote:
Greenie wrote:there is not going to be a tier 2 sub category. Tier 4 graduates with relevent qualifications will be able to apply under tier 2 (general) as they can currently but will now be exempt from the RLMT from 6th April.

I think the tier 2 visa wherein tier 4 holders may apply without being subjected to a labour market is in a sense a sub category as it deviates from the standard tier 2 conditions. Some universities do state that there is a tier 2 sub category being introduced, but that the guidance notes will only be published after PSW closes in April. Only then can students apply. This is what I understand.
its not a sub category. Its just a way to score points for the cos. Like at the
moment a person switching from psw is exempt from the rlmt if he has worked for the employer for 6 months, the exception for tier 4 switchers will work in a similar way.