ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can i apply 2 years before???

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hikz
BANNED

can i apply 2 years before???

Post by hikz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:27 pm

hiya,
basically i was given a 5 years leave to remain last year, based on both; my asylum claim and my humanitarian case. before i sought asylum or i went through the whole immigration process i was married and i am still married, and my wife is British, and i thought that I'd have to wait another 5 years in order to apply for an indefinite leave to remain or for British passport until i read something about being able to apply for that just after 3 years from obtaining your definite leave if you're married to a British citizen, so my question is: is it true that i can apply for the indefinite leave just after three years as im married to a British citizen???

MelC

Re: can i apply 2 years before???

Post by MelC » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:30 pm

hikz wrote:hiya,
basically i was given a 5 years leave to remain last year, based on both; my asylum claim and my humanitarian case. before i sought asylum or i went through the whole immigration process i was married and i am still married, and my wife is a British, and i thought that I'd have to wait another 5 years in order to apply for an indefinite leave to remain or for citizenship until i read something about being able to apply for that just after 3 years from obtaining your definite leave, so my question is: is it true that i can apply for the indefinite leave just after three years as im married to a British citizen???
5 years leave to remain isn't INDEFINITE LEAVE TO REMAIN?

when you were first married where were you? how long have you been in the UK?
MelC

hikz
BANNED

Re: can i apply 2 years before???

Post by hikz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:35 pm

MelC wrote:
hikz wrote:hiya,
basically i was given a 5 years leave to remain last year, based on both; my asylum claim and my humanitarian case. before i sought asylum or i went through the whole immigration process i was married and i am still married, and my wife is a British, and i thought that I'd have to wait another 5 years in order to apply for an indefinite leave to remain or for citizenship until i read something about being able to apply for that just after 3 years from obtaining your definite leave, so my question is: is it true that i can apply for the indefinite leave just after three years as im married to a British citizen???
5 years leave to remain isn't INDEFINITE LEAVE TO REMAIN?

when you were first married where were you? how long have you been in the UK?
i know that, basically i was married here in the uk, and after my marriage i sought asylum and i was permitted to stay in the country for 5 years based on my asylum claim and the fact that deportation or case refusal would violate my family, namely my wife. my leave is definite: 5 years. however recently i read something on the HO website that says that if you're married to a british citizen then regardless of you're status u can apply for an indefinite leave to remain just after three years of being granted you're leave to remain

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:41 pm

Can you give us a link from the UKBA website stating that?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

hikz
BANNED

Post by hikz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:43 pm

vinny wrote:Can you give us a link from the UKBA website stating that?
i really can't remember, that's the problem cz if had right in front of me i wouldn't have posted my question here, and when i read it i wasn't really sure that i understood correctly as im not really good with the law side,,,,,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:08 pm

I think this is the link referred to : http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ettlement/

and this one is also relevant : http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ofcitizen/

I am currently in the process of applying for Set M(23rd March PEO) and have been in the uk for 3 years and 3 months. Orignially entered uk on ancestry visa and switched to spousal in april 2010 after 2.5 years marriage.

Because i entered on ancestry, this counts towards my qualifying period for British Citizenship, which means that i can do this application as soon as my ILR is granted (23rd March) as i have been here for 3 years (2 years of which on the spousal category which is the only category that these rules apply to (2 yrs, then ILR, then 12 months which is the 'free from immigration' period, then BC) but because ancestry is recognised and i was married when i entered the uk, once i have ILR, i have met the residential requirements for BC on 24th March and can apply as i will be free from immigration control.

ILE for 5 years does not fall into this category and asylum applications do not qualify as cannot be counted towards the qualifying residential requirement as asylum is considered in breach of the immigration rules.

Hope this helps.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:33 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

hikz
BANNED

Post by hikz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:34 pm

CR001 wrote:I think this is the link referred to : http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ettlement/

and this one is also relevant : http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ofcitizen/

I am currently in the process of applying for Set M(23rd March PEO) and have been in the uk for 3 years and 3 months. Orignially entered uk on ancestry visa and switched to spousal in april 2010 after 2.5 years marriage.

Because i entered on ancestry, this counts towards my qualifying period for British Citizenship, which means that i can do this application as soon as my ILR is granted (23rd March) as i have been here for 3 years (2 years of which on the spousal category which is the only category that these rules apply to (2 yrs, then ILR, then 12 months which is the 'free from immigration' period, then BC) but because ancestry is recognised and i was married when i entered the uk, once i have ILR, i have met the residential requirements for BC on 24th March and can apply as i will be free from immigration control.

ILE for 5 years does not fall into this category and asylum applications do not qualify as cannot be counted towards the qualifying residential requirement as asylum is considered in breach of the immigration rules.

Hope this helps.
thanks a lot it really helped, although I'm really grateful for being able to stay here with my wife but at the same time i find it frustrating that i have to stay for another 5 years in order to obtain an ILR.. I'm planning to work abroad and i have been offered many jobs however I'm stuck here due to my immigration status and i cant leave the country for more than 3 months as far as I'm concerned...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:41 pm

Can you not switch to spousal visa?? if you can, this will be issued for 27 months, but you can apply for ILR after 24 months and then you will need to do 12 months on ILR before applying for BC.

hikz
BANNED

Post by hikz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

CR001 wrote:Can you not switch to spousal visa?? if you can, this will be issued for 27 months, but you can apply for ILR after 24 months and then you will need to do 12 months on ILR before applying for BC.
i don't really know whether its possible to switch.... i know it takes a year but at least with an ILR you wouldn't be under the same conditions...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:47 pm

If i was you, i would find out if i can switch to the spousal visa in country, which is what i did. then after 24 months on spousal, apply for ILR which you will be on for 12 months before applying for BC. Takes 2 years off your waiting time at least.

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:40 pm

I thought the rules for getting citizenship were:
- Tier 1 (4 or 5 years depending on JR or not) + ILR (1 year) -> passport in 5 or 6 years (depending on JR)
- Marriage (2 or 3 years on spouse visa, not sure of rules) -> passport

If I am on Tier 1 and get married my options would be:
- Stay on Tier 1 and get citizenship after 5 or 6 years (first option above)
- Change to spouse visa, in which case clock "resets" to zero when visa changes and the whole qualifying period for spouse visa (2 or 3 years) has to be completed.

But from the posts below it seems that this isn't correct. If you qualify for ILR on Tier 1 and you are married, you could immediately apply for citizenship on the basis of your marriage. Is this correct?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:31 pm

goldfish wrote:I thought the rules for getting citizenship were:
- Tier 1 (4 or 5 years depending on JR or not) + ILR (1 year) -> passport in 5 or 6 years (depending on JR)
- Marriage (2 or 3 years on spouse visa, not sure of rules) -> passport

If I am on Tier 1 and get married my options would be:
- Stay on Tier 1 and get citizenship after 5 or 6 years (first option above)
- Change to spouse visa, in which case clock "resets" to zero when visa changes and the whole qualifying period for spouse visa (2 or 3 years) has to be completed.

But from the posts below it seems that this isn't correct. If you qualify for ILR on Tier 1 and you are married, you could immediately apply for citizenship on the basis of your marriage. Is this correct?
See Q1 in FAQ - most common questions.

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks Jambo, have never had to consider this question so missed the FAQ.