ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is exactly a DURABLE relationship

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

spike_UK

What is exactly a DURABLE relationship

Post by spike_UK » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi all,,,,,,could you please explain. How do you prove a durable relationship?

If the couple(non EEA+EEA) not married but live together and EEA exercise treaty right and have all the evidence..... is this called family member of EEA?
What is exactly a durable relationship?
Last edited by spike_UK on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Applied for EEA4 on 24/02/2012.
HO received on 27/02/2012.
Refusal received on 16/08/2012 dated 11/08/2012
At the court, the HO REP withdrawn the decision and asked me to send the DOC for the time before marriage.
PR dated 05/03/2013

Samelamin
Member of Standing
Sudan

Post by Samelamin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:16 pm

a durable relationship is when you have lived with your partner for 2+ years and have the documents to prove it

best practice is to have 3 sets of papers cover the 3 year period

bank statements+bills+lease or contract

spike_UK

Post by spike_UK » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanks for reply,
So documents can be bills and the paper with both names u have mentioned.
So does these 2 years before marriage + 3 years marriage = PR ?

2 yrs living together and then get married and continues marriage for 3 yrs is 5 yrs for PR.
I believe it is must so many different opinion on this forum which all good to know, so what do u think?
At the court, the HO REP withdrawn the decision and asked me to send the DOC for the time before marriage.
PR dated 05/03/2013

Samelamin
Member of Standing
Sudan

Post by Samelamin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:49 am

spike_UK wrote:Thanks for reply,

2 yrs living together and then get married and continues marriage for 3 yrs is 5 yrs for PR.
I believe it is must so many different opinion on this forum which all good to know, so what do u think?
It doesnt work that way mate :(

You will have to apply to EEA and get it for 5 years then stay under that visa for the full 5 years before you can apply for the PR

eother that or stay in the country for 10 years, my understanding is your clock restarts, but others feel like whatever is the shortest route will get you the PR

but you cant be married for 5 years under a different visa then apply for PR

spike_UK

Post by spike_UK » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:52 pm

Last edited by spike_UK on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spike_UK

Post by spike_UK » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi again, please pay ur attention, do u have any knowledge.

They say by having a RC or Family permit then u r a family member of EEA, so how come a lot of cases after they have refusal for PR they appeal and they win, based on they lived together and exercising treaty for 5 yrs and the unmarried non EEA only had work permit then Tier 1 from HO during these 5 yrs, many thanks
PR dated 05/03/2013

MarksGrace
Newly Registered

EEA2 - durable relationship?

Post by MarksGrace » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:51 pm

Hi I need help... I'm a non-eu partner of an EEA excercising treaty rights in UK. We've been in the relationship January 2010 but only lived together since November 2010. We now have a son born January 2012... will I be eligible for a RC based on durable relationship since we have a son now... ( we have plans to get married but not the near future) I have a student visa expiring December 2012. Any help would be appreciated... Thanks :D

MelC

Post by MelC » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:16 pm

if you are in the UK as non eu partner of EEA national then after 5 years residence you would be elegible for PR.

your proof would be that of the FULL 5 years.
MelC

MelC

Post by MelC » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:19 pm

Samelamin wrote:

It doesnt work that way mate :(

You will have to apply to EEA and get it for 5 years then stay under that visa for the full 5 years before you can apply for the PR

eother that or stay in the country for 10 years, my understanding is your clock restarts, but others feel like whatever is the shortest route will get you the PR

but you cant be married for 5 years under a different visa then apply for PR
the clock would restart? i like that lol

whatever visa the non eu was on to start with, once they formed a relationship with an EEA national from that point on its the beginning of a durable, and possible later marriage.
MelC

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:28 am

Durable relationship is a "Community Law Term" which cannot be defined by national legislation. National law requiring a relationship to have subsisted for two years and cohabitation during this period, are taking a restrictive approach to this broad term.

To determine whether or not a relationship is durable, an extensive examination of the relationship should be undertaken, taking into account the length (which is not absolute), joint financial committment, whether there are children in the relationship, fututure intention of the couple, joint mortgage. Evidence from friends or relative attesting to the strength of the relationship, cultural norm, level of emotional dependancy. All or these has to be considered before a conclusion can be drawn on whether the relationship is durable in nature.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

MelC

Post by MelC » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:38 am

Obie wrote:Durable relationship is a "Community Law Term" which cannot be defined by national legislation. National law requiring a relationship to have subsisted for two years and cohabitation during this period, are taking a restrictive approach to this broad term.

To determine whether or not a relationship is durable, an extensive examination of the relationship should be undertaken, taking into account the length (which is not absolute), joint financial committment, whether there are children in the relationship, fututure intention of the couple, joint mortgage. Evidence from friends or relative attesting to the strength of the relationship, cultural norm, level of emotional dependancy. All or these has to be considered before a conclusion can be drawn on whether the relationship is durable in nature.
nicely said Obie!

do they not use 2 years as a benchmark?

i always think what about a couple that have met, been in a relationship for 6 months, but have already set plans for the future? perhaps a wedding booked for a year or so ahead, saving together for a home of thier own etc, how much does "diatta" come into it? in respect of cultural norms? what about religious norms? or plain and simple a couples personal choice?

i think there is too much rigidity in many area's, where member states latch onto a phrase, a sentence and apply it rigidly when there clearly should be flexibility and the rare common sense that is so lacking in so many cases!
MelC

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:20 am

I believe the 2 years rule was created by UKBA purely for internal consumption.
They claim the 2 years rule is a benchmark, but in some refusals i have seen, it looks more like a law, or a Statutory requirement or treaty requirement. And this has to be wrong, without a doubt in my not so perfect mind.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

MelC

Post by MelC » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:22 am

Obie wrote:I believe the 2 years rule was created by UKBA purely for internal consumption.
They claim the 2 years rule is a benchmark, but in some refusals i have seen, it looks more like a law, or a Statutory requirement or treaty requirement. And this has to be wrong, without a doubt in my not so perfect mind.
I don't think your mind is so bad :wink: and I would agree that the UKBA hav a way of making something "sound" like its statutory/law/requirement when its not, the EEA/fp being the prime example with its excess questioning!

I have not had the pleasure of reading specific EEA/fp refusals, those that i have assisted im happy to say got theirs.
MelC

spike_UK

Post by spike_UK » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:43 am

All I was asking was,,, been in a relation with EEA for 2 years before marriage counts for 5 yrs regulations for PR or not,,,,some people just had work permit(lived together 5 yrs) and after refusal they got the PR.
That is not family member but partner in relationship.
PR dated 05/03/2013