ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Biometrics for kids at post office

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tier_2_applicant

Biometrics for kids at post office

Post by tier_2_applicant » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi All,

I received invitation to submit biometrics for myself and dependants at post office.

While I and my wife were fine, my 15 month old daughter kept moving her face, hence her photograph could not be taken. Post office guys told me that I should go to a PEO.

I tried booking a PEO appointment for her but her case ID is not being recognised by the system (I and both dependents got different case IDs)

I tried booking a family appointment but am unable to do so as I have already submitted my biometrics.

Not sure if someone has been in this situation before?

1. Could someone suggest any best practice (!) for giving biometrics for kids?

2. Should I go to a PEO without booking an appointment and request them to help me?

Thanks a lot.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Biometrics for kids at post office

Post by Greenie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:15 pm

tier_2_applicant wrote:Hi All,

I received invitation to submit biometrics for myself and dependants at post office.

While I and my wife were fine, my 15 month old daughter kept moving her face, hence her photograph could not be taken. Post office guys told me that I should go to a PEO.

I tried booking a PEO appointment for her but her case ID is not being recognised by the system (I and both dependents got different case IDs)

I tried booking a family appointment but am unable to do so as I have already submitted my biometrics.

2. Should I go to a PEO without booking an appointment and request them to help me?

Thanks a lot.
try going to the PO to try again?

ashehzi

Post by ashehzi » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks a lot.
can we conclude that UKBA has started giving post office appointments for Biometrics data registration, even for families with kids? Its good news then. Someone with 4-5 years age kid should be ok then with picture process at post office provided the whole family recvd letter to give details at post office.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:19 pm

ashehzi wrote:

Thanks a lot.
can we conclude that UKBA has started giving post office appointments for Biometrics data registration, even for families with kids? Its good news then. Someone with 4-5 years age kid should be ok then with picture process at post office provided the whole family recvd letter to give details at post office.
yes they have - according to recent biometric letters i have seen - children can give biometrics at Post offices since 1st march. It appears from 5th April that the option of making an appointment at the PEO to give biometrics will no longer be possible apparently due to the roll out of participating PO branches.

tier_2_applicant

Post by tier_2_applicant » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks Greenie.

I tried at Earls Court post office, where the lady operating the system was very supportive. She accepted a photo in which my kid's eyes weren't exactly focussed at the camera (Saying that you can’t expect a 15 month old child to know where the camera is!).

Two points to note from my side:

If a child’s biometric letter says ‘No responsible adult found’, the post office will not be able to scan the bar code. I saw two such cases at Earl’s Court post office, in both the cases the father was the main applicant but in the child’s application form the mother’s name was given as the responsible adult.

Infants have to be carried on the lap by the responsible adult for the photograph to be taken (as the camera can not be moved down to reach the child’s face). As only the child should be seen in the photograph and not the adult carrying him, a white cloth is provided which the adult has to drape around himself. To avoid the hassle, wear a white shirt/top – this should make the process more convenient.

gprao2010

Quesiton

Post by gprao2010 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:25 am

Hi tier_2_applicant,

Could you please provide clarification on your note above: You have mentioned that you saw two cases were mother's name was given as responsible adult and they could not scan the bar code. Did you also see cases where it was mentioned as ‘No responsible adult found’ and post office was unable to scan the bar code?

Also, what was mentioned in your kid's biometric enrollment letter?

Thanks,

abby92

Post by abby92 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:57 am

What if you have already provided biometrics for the child in his/her last application? Would you still be required to do it again for extension or you are exempt?

tier_2_applicant

Re: Quesiton

Post by tier_2_applicant » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi gprao2010,

For the cases that I mentioned (father was the main applicant and mother’s name was given as responsible adult), the biometric letter said ‘No responsible adult found’ and the bar code could not be scanned.

It can be a coincidence that in both the cases a dependant (and not the main applicant) was mentioned as the responsible adult. But it can also be a glitch in UKBA’s system.

gprao2010 wrote:Hi tier_2_applicant,

Could you please provide clarification on your note above: You have mentioned that you saw two cases were mother's name was given as responsible adult and they could not scan the bar code. Did you also see cases where it was mentioned as ‘No responsible adult found’ and post office was unable to scan the bar code?

Also, what was mentioned in your kid's biometric enrollment letter?

Thanks,

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:19 pm

abby92 wrote:What if you have already provided biometrics for the child in his/her last application? Would you still be required to do it again for extension or you are exempt?
You need to do it everytime.
Give me more Karma (+)

shahjee11

Post by shahjee11 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:43 pm

QuickSam wrote:
This is disgusting. the whole system stinks. I see no bloody reason behind registering your biometrics every time you apply for an extension. All they could do is just change the leave period or leave category where there is no major change to the facial features etc. But why would they do it? by extending the biometrics registeration to all categories, its very likely that they stop getting these done in PEOs for postal applicants and thus generating more revenue through post offices.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:07 pm

shahjee11 wrote:
QuickSam wrote:
This is disgusting. the whole system stinks. I see no bloody reason behind registering your biometrics every time you apply for an extension. All they could do is just change the leave period or leave category where there is no major change to the facial features etc. But why would they do it? by extending the biometrics registeration to all categories, its very likely that they stop getting these done in PEOs for postal applicants and thus generating more revenue through post offices.
they have to make sure it is the same person applying, at that that person has not made other applications in different identities.

shahjee11

Post by shahjee11 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Yes I can understand that but why cant they check this by using the information they already have once the biometrics are taken?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:03 pm

shahjee11 wrote:Yes I can understand that but why cant they check this by using the information they already have once the biometrics are taken?
Well because they way they check is by taking biometrics again to make sure it is the same person. Just another passport sized photo is more susceptible to fraud.