ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to Denmark without Spouse?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chursy

Travelling to Denmark without Spouse?

Post by chursy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:45 pm

Hi

I am a Non-Eu Spouse of a British National, currently residing in Malta on a resident card valid for 5 years.

I would like to travel on my own without my spouse, can this be done on the existing visa? If not, am i required to apply for a normal Visit visa?

Also provided my spouse travels with me to denmark on the way out, but upon my return can i travel on my own back to Malta, or am i required to travel with spouse?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: Travelling to Denmark without Spouse?

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:06 am

chursy wrote:Hi

I am a Non-Eu Spouse of a British National, currently residing in Malta on a resident card valid for 5 years.

I would like to travel on my own without my spouse, can this be done on the existing visa? If not, am i required to apply for a normal Visit visa?

Also provided my spouse travels with me to denmark on the way out, but upon my return can i travel on my own back to Malta, or am i required to travel with spouse?
Put your details into this website for the particular journey you wish to make. You should be fine. Print the result.

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/home.htm

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:07 am

Hi chursy,

since both Malta and Denmark are in the Schengen-Zone, you may travel. This is a standard-case, 100% legal, and you will not encounter any problems.

Usually, between Schengen-countries, there are no checks, so on arriving in Kopenhagen from Luqa there should not even be passport-control. Even if they check, either in the airport or elsewhere, you will not encounter any problems.

Rgds and enjoy Denmark,
Christian

docteurbenway

Post by docteurbenway » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:38 am

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:

Put your details into this website for the particular journey you wish to make. You should be fine. Print the result.

Hello, actually IATA is not very clear when it comes to EEA Family Member Resident Cards.

When you put your information in, say you are from Vietnam married to an Italian and living in France. It will ask you to enter your current country of residence, so you put France, you will then get a drop down menu to chose the type of residency document you have.

You can chose between, residence permit, re-entry permit, alien resident permit and permanent resident permit. All of these options are based on national immigration laws. So you say like, uhm...residents permit, it will then spit out the results saying that you can travel without a visa. These results will be based on the fact that you chose a national French residents permit and not a Family Member Card.

The only country where the information shown by the IATA is 100% accurate is the Rep. of Ireland where the Family Member cards are clearly specified.

Cheers.

chursy

Post by chursy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks guys

I have tried inputting the info on the IATA website and it seems to give me three different answers on three different tries.

I understand that the document i have is in line with the EU Direction , hence visa free travel is ok provided one is travelling with a Spouse ONLY. However i have my doubts considering Malta is in Shenghan and Denmark being one of the Shenghan states i am merely trying my luck here so i dont have to get a visa! To be honest getting a visa is cheaper then getting a ticket for the hubby!

Again would appreciate if anyone of you can clarify the situation. On another i also have a Resident Card from Republic of Ireland which is again valid for 5 years. Wouldn't assume this is of any help?

ca.funke
    Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi chursy,

I can only tell you the fact that you may travel without visa, and that you won´t experience any trouble. It is of course entirely up to you not to believe me.

Maybe you believe the Commission:
    >>europa.eu<< wrote:For non-EU citizens
    (...)
    Visa
    ...If your visa is from a country fully applying the Schengen rules (which Malta is), it automatically allows you to travel to the other Schengen countries as well. Moreover, if you have a valid residence permit from one of those Schengen countries (yours is issued by Malta), it is equivalent to a visa (i.e. you don´t need one, or you already have one, whichever you prefer)....
    chursy wrote:Thanks guys

I have tried inputting the info on the IATA website and it seems to give me three different answers on three different tries.
    IATA´s TIMATIC is a bit weird and not always correct.
    chursy wrote:I understand that the document i have is in line with the EU Direction , hence visa free travel is ok provided one is travelling with a Spouse ONLY.
    It doesn´t matter if your Maltese Schengen-permit is in line with Directive 2004/38/EC, as this law doesn´t apply. Since your planned trip concerns only Schengen-countries, it´s the Schengen rules which apply.
    chursy wrote:However i have my doubts considering Malta is in Shenghan and Denmark being one of the Shenghan states i am merely trying my luck here so i dont have to get a visa! To be honest getting a visa is cheaper then getting a ticket for the hubby!
    I have no idea what you mean here, but both >>Malta and Denmark are Schengen states<<.
    chursy wrote:Again would appreciate if anyone of you can clarify the situation. On another i also have a Resident Card from Republic of Ireland which is again valid for 5 years. Wouldn't assume this is of any help?
    Well, as you can see above you may travel to Denmark with the Maltese Residence Permit because of Schengen-rules.

With the Irish 4EUFam card you would also be allowed to travel to Denmark, however this would be covered by 2004/38/EC. But since Schengen-internal rules are easier, just take the Maltese ResidencePermit with you.

On the journey from Luqa to Denmark you will not see any immigration officials, so the only person who will look at your passport will be airline staff on checkin.

Enjoy Denmark!

chursy

Post by chursy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Thank you mate, you are a legend!! thats exactly what i was looking for!!!

Appreciate the advise given by everyone here, you guys are doing a great job!! i have referred to this forum for all my immigration queries and never been disappointed!! :)

chursy

Post by chursy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:10 pm

Lastly , having just read the post again,

I understand that i can travel within the EU, but on my own is my worry? As the Resident permit is usually applicable to travel with spouse only!!

Unfortunately , there is no mention of the fact that on the EU website that i can travel without the spouse....

I have also send an email to the embassy here to get their thoughts on this too..

ca.funke
    Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:15 pm

chursy wrote:I understand that i can travel within the EU, but on my own is my worry? As the Resident permit is usually applicable to travel with spouse only!!
    On your own is not allowed, if you want to cross from Schengen to non-Schengen or vice versa.
    chursy wrote:Unfortunately , there is no mention of the fact that on the EU website that i can travel without the spouse....
    Within Schengen this is never a problem, as any Schengen-Residence-Card is equivalent to a ("permanent") Schengen-Visa (just as it sais on the quoted website). Also, there are simply no checks between Schengen-countries. Travelling from Luqa to Denmark, you will not see any border-officials. So if there´s no-one, who should stop you?
    chursy wrote:I have also send an email to the embassy here to get their thoughts on this too..
    Danish Embassies have a good track-record to reply. You should receive a reply from them within a few days. They will tell you more-less the same as I´m writing here.

chursy

Post by chursy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:54 pm

Perfect! Thanks again for all your help! :)

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:48 pm

docteurbenway wrote:
    EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:

Hello, actually IATA is not very clear when it comes to EEA Family Member Resident Cards.

When you put your information in, say you are from Vietnam married to an Italian and living in France. It will ask you to enter your current country of residence, so you put France, you will then get a drop down menu to chose the type of residency document you have.

You can chose between, residence permit, re-entry permit, alien resident permit and permanent resident permit. All of these options are based on national immigration laws. So you say like, uhm...residents permit, it will then spit out the results saying that you can travel without a visa. These results will be based on the fact that you chose a national French residents permit and not a Family Member Card.

The only country where the information shown by the IATA is 100% accurate is the Rep. of Ireland where the Family Member cards are clearly specified.

Cheers.
      Agree it's not perfect, but it's what airlines use to check passengers' visa requirements.

For clarity, if you take the UK as an example and put residence permit (I know, it's supposed to be a card), it does specifically talk about EEA residence permit excepting holder from visa.

If one put the same details for a person resident in France it would say that travel documents are fine because a Schengen permit is valid in all other Schengen states.

ca.funke
      Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:16 am

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Agree it's not perfect, but it's what airlines use to check passengers' visa requirements.

For clarity, if you take the UK as an example and put residence permit (I know, it's supposed to be a card), it does specifically talk about EEA residence permit excepting holder from visa.

If one put the same details for a person resident in France it would say that travel documents are fine because a Schengen permit is valid in all other Schengen states.
      TIMATIC seems good to establish "normal" cases, where a person lives in his home country, and wants to take a journey from there.

Cases including Residence-Permits of other places are in many cases not correct :twisted:

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:08 pm

ca.funke wrote:
      EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Agree it's not perfect, but it's what airlines use to check passengers' visa requirements.

TIMATIC seems good to establish "normal" cases, where a person lives in his home country, and wants to take a journey from there.

Cases including Residence-Permits of other places are in many cases not correct :twisted:
      I agree, but by knowing this in advance, one can have the retort ready for the check-in guy.