ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

referees, names and a few technical questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tranquility
Newly Registered

referees, names and a few technical questions

Post by Tranquility » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:26 am

Hi there,

I've a few technical questions RE applying for naturalisation..

Firstly, I'm thinking of asking someone for a reference and I'm not sure he's eligible... He's a policeman and the husband of a friend. I know friends aren't eligible, but he's not my friend, he's a friend's husband, is that allowed? If so, how would he describe his relationship to me?

Secondly, I'm at home with a small child at mo so not employed. I.e. housewife. I don't claim ANY benefits. However, neither do I pay any tax or NI contributions (although I have done in the past and HMRC have no problem with me, I know that for certain because they recently refunded me some overpaid tax!). Would there be any issue with the "good character" requirement because I'm not currently paying tax?

Thirdly, I'm married but my passport is still in my maiden name. That's because my home country makes it near impossible to change one's surname upon marriage UNLESS you were married in that country. Just wondering, would IPS allow me to have my married name on my passport (alongside my maiden name perhaps?)? Or would I only be able to change my surname by deed poll?

many thanks for any insights.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: referees, names and a few technical questions

Post by Jambo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:45 am

Tranquility wrote:I know friends aren't eligible, but he's not my friend
Friends are eligible. Only blood related relatives are not allowed.
Would there be any issue with the "good character" requirement because I'm not currently paying tax?
Not a problem. Employment is not a requirement and if you don't work, you don't need to pay income tax. Just put "housewife" as occupation and leave the rest of the section empty.
Just wondering, would IPS allow me to have my married name on my passport (alongside my maiden name perhaps?)? Or would I only be able to change my surname by deed poll?
IPS would use the name on the naturalisation certificate unless you provide supporting evidence for a name change. See The application form, fee and supporting documents for a passport name change.

Tranquility
Newly Registered

Post by Tranquility » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:50 pm

great, thanks for that!