ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

COS to expire 5th of April, Tier 2 visa toexpire 19th April

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rbt1889
Newly Registered

COS to expire 5th of April, Tier 2 visa toexpire 19th April

Post by rbt1889 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi,

I got Tier 2 General after 6 April 2011, but due to an error by my employer my visa expires not in 3 but in 1 year, so on 19th of April 2012. At the beginning of 2012 my employer got an email promting to ask for further allocation for this year, which will be available after 5th of April. I have some questions:

1. Is responding to that email (asking for allocation) the only thing employer has to do to get a COS for extension Tier 2 (unrestricted)
2. Email says COS allocation will be available only on the 5th of April and my visa expires on the 19th. Is it safe for me to just wait? If for some reason allocation does not become available on the 5th is there any place I can contact, call?
Any other advice will also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Link-Law Associates
BANNED

Post by Link-Law Associates » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:04 pm

Dear rbt1889

Providing there has been no change in your circumstances and you are on the same SOC Code

If you are on Tier 2 (General) and you are extending; your employer will issues you with an "unrestricted" CoS on or after the 5 April

for further information you can visit our website http://spammer.com/Tier_2_General.html of email me at info@spammer.com

rbt1889
Newly Registered

Post by rbt1889 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:14 am

spammer Associates wrote: If you are on Tier 2 (General) and you are extending; your employer will issues you with an "unrestricted" CoS on or after the 5 April
Ok, but my visa expires on the 19th of April. Will I have enough time? What if allocation is delayed (considering there are two bank holidays)?

manci
Respected Guru

Re: COS to expire 5th of April, Tier 2 visa toexpire 19th Ap

Post by manci » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:16 pm

rbt1889 wrote:Hi,

I got Tier 2 General after 6 April 2011, but due to an error by my employer my visa expires not in 3 but in 1 year,!
This requires explanation. Are you saying that your CoS is for 3 years but your visa only for 1 year? If this is the case what makes you think that this was an error by your employer? It could have been an error by UKBA.

rbt1889
Newly Registered

Post by rbt1889 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:42 am

Hi,

Both my visa and COS are for one year. COS expires annually but visa should be for 3 years, however due to an error which I mentioned, the visa was issued for 1 year only and expires on the 19th of April. My concern is that expiry date for COS and for my visa are very close to each other and since the letter from UKBA says "[COS] will only be available from 6th April" it could be any date in April or beyond, which will potentially mean I will have to reapply without a COS

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:28 am

Hi

If your CoS is for 1 year (for whatever reason) your visa will be for 1 year + 14 days. This is the rule, see the Tier 2 policy guidance..

The email your sponsor/employer got from UKBA was an automated reminder sent to all Tier 2 sponsors advising them that all CoS allocations expire on 5 April and if they wish to have CoS allocations for the year commencing 06/04/2012 they should apply for them now.

I assume they did apply - check with HR. It is not a question of replying to UKBA's email but to request allocations through the online Sponsor Management System.

You are naturally concerned that the CoS should be assigned to you before your visa expires on 19 April.

According to UKBA the new CoS allocations should be available for use on 6 April This is the first time that UKBA will be doing a mass allocation on a single date (6 April), the system was different previously. Clearly there may be IT problems.

What I suggest you do is to ask HR to check on Monday 9 April if they got their CoS allocations and if they have to assign your CoS immediately.

If for one reason or another the CoS allocation has not come through by Monday 9 April ask HR to send an email to
scoc@ukba.gsi.gov.uk
explaining the circumstances and requesting urgent treatment.

In my experience this usually does the trick.

Once the increased allocation is available the CoS can be assigned online iimmediately by an authorised person.

madona587
Member of Standing

Post by madona587 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:27 am

1. Yes you need a UCOS
2. After 5th April if your employer has requested his annual allocation you will be given the required allocations. If not your employer can request an increase in COS allocation before 5th April.

I think its best you request a new increase and in the reason put down the urgency. Also drop them an email or ask your employer to call. It takes a while but depends on the circumstances.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on :)

rbt1889
Newly Registered

Post by rbt1889 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:21 pm

Yes, HR did apply through the SMS on the 10th of Feb. We're also thinking of requesting an additional CoS explaining the urgency of the matter. Hopefully we'll get a Cos in time through one of these requests.

madona587, manci, thanks for your responses, you have been very helpful.