ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cycle red light break conviction

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jambalap

Cycle red light break conviction

Post by jambalap » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:43 am

I got court summons for breaking red light while cycling. If I plead guilty then will I have a record as traffic offence?Is this to be declared when filling citizenship application which asks have you committed traffic offence?.

DO YOU HAVE ANY CONVICTIONS IN THE STATE OR ANY OTHER COUNTRY (INCLUDING TRAFFIC OFFENCES) OR ANY CIVIL JUDGEMENTS MADE AGAINST YOU?

I don't know how to answer the above question

P.S. I never drawn garda attention before in this state or any where else and no offences no traafic offences until the cycle thing happened

IQU
Diamond Member

Post by IQU » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:11 pm

i think you should wait for while to apply for citizenship .first you should attend the court and see if you plead guilty or not .what is outcome coming from your case. why did you cross the traffic light they will simply ask you in the court make sure you have good reason to explain.than you should apply for citizenship because you can add in addtional comment page about your all story . good luck

adlexy

Re: Cycle red light break conviction

Post by adlexy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:52 pm

jambalap wrote:I got court summons for breaking red light while cycling. If I plead guilty then will I have a record as traffic offence?Is this to be declared when filling citizenship application which asks have you committed traffic offence?.

DO YOU HAVE ANY CONVICTIONS IN THE STATE OR ANY OTHER COUNTRY (INCLUDING TRAFFIC OFFENCES) OR ANY CIVIL JUDGEMENTS MADE AGAINST YOU?

P.S. I never drawn garda attention before in this state or any where else and no offences no traafic offences until the cycle thing happened
That in interesting - so a cyclist can be summoned for breaking the red lights? The way "almost" every cyclist does it, you will assume that is part of the rule of the road when cycling :)

Meanwhile, back to the question.

A tough one you have but, you have not been convicted yet, just a summon.

If you are making an application NOW, you cannot claim to be a convict - that is not true.

So technically, you cannot put yes there.

But if you have to wait until you go through the courts, obviously, whatever the outcome will be information you supply in your form - truthfully.

IQU
Diamond Member

Post by IQU » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:45 pm

adlexy have a point? good luck

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: Cycle red light break conviction

Post by walrusgumble » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:56 pm

adlexy wrote:
jambalap wrote:I got court summons for breaking red light while cycling. If I plead guilty then will I have a record as traffic offence?Is this to be declared when filling citizenship application which asks have you committed traffic offence?.

That in interesting - so a cyclist can be summoned for breaking the red lights? The way "almost" every cyclist does it, you will assume that is part of the rule of the road when cycling :)

Meanwhile, back to the question.

A tough one you have but, you have not been convicted yet, just a summon.

If you are making an application NOW, you cannot claim to be a convict - that is not true.

So technically, you cannot put yes there.

But if you have to wait until you go through the courts, obviously, whatever the outcome will be information you supply in your form - truthfully.
The application also asks if you are aware of any PENDING civil or criminal law cases in Court.

Stall the application for a while.

If you do get convicted , relax. Pile the application form with evidence of your otherwise "good character", and all sorts of evidence that you have integrated into Irish society, have Irish Citizen kids etc.

Irisheddy

Policy

Post by Irisheddy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:11 pm

I read elsewhere on this forum about an Indian doctor who was turned down for citizenship for the exact same offence. It does seem unfair when you consider how common it is and how the guards turn a blind eye to it even when it is blatantly done in front of them.

I actually thought the official policy was to ignore it unless the cyclist was cycling dangerously.

jambalap

Post by jambalap » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Does any one know good lawyer who can represent me in this case . I heard if Lawyer informs about the situation the court may not convict but fine me to the court poor box or any charity

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:25 pm

jambalap wrote:Does any one know good lawyer who can represent me in this case . I heard if Lawyer informs about the situation the court may not convict but fine me to the court poor box or any charity
If you get fined, you are convicted. Fine only concerns a sentence for the offence one is convicted. You may get probation instead.

I doubt it is ever a good idea to mention one's immigration status in a criminal court or the fact that you are looking for citizenship. You might meet a judge who would be hell bent on throwing the book at you.Keep immigration matters out of it. It does not look good and it suggests that you should be treated differently to Irish People. Stick to the usual, normally a good law abiding person.

Maybe the Guard won't be there, and case gets struck out.

Unfortunately, a push bike, as far as I am aware is considered a vehicle for road traffic matters.

No offence to you, but it is about time that cyclists are held accountable for their regular disregard to road safety and traffic matters.

What you should do is prepare letters from friends and proof of voluntary groups/ social group membership etc and sent into the department, to show that you have integrated and you are normally of good character.

Best this information (conviction or as the application form suggests, pending cases) comes from you as oppose to the department finding out their own way. Then you have a chance. Failure to disclose information expected of you (depending on the situation) is a ground alone to refuse

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: Policy

Post by walrusgumble » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:28 pm

Irisheddy wrote:I read elsewhere on this forum about an Indian doctor who was turned down for citizenship for the exact same offence. It does seem unfair when you consider how common it is and how the guards turn a blind eye to it even when it is blatantly done in front of them.

I actually thought the official policy was to ignore it unless the cyclist was cycling dangerously.
It is still an offence. People are getting very sick of the disregard (have a look at the papers, letters to editors as an example) some cyclists can have for the roads. About time people are getting the book thrown at them

Look, I am sure the Doctor and the OP are fine people, I don't see a problem in their case, provided that they are up front and make submissions dealing with this.