ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA family permit for UK from Germany

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Amo2012
United Kingdom

Post by Amo2012 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Dear all,

I need a legal advice to apply for my family (wife and son, 4 years old) the EEA family permit for UK from Germany.
I am a British citizen, my wife is a Pakistani national , my family came to Germany on visit visa on 01st January 2012, after then my wife and son applied for the residency and they got a permanent residence status here on the basis of a family member of EEA citizen. Permanent Residency was granted on 25th January 2012.
The problem is that I got married to my current wife in Pakistan before I got my decree absolute from my ex-British wife, the UK embassy therefore rejected our spouse visa as they do not consider our marriage valid, but when we came to Germany and gave them the same marriage certificate the embassy here did not make any issue and gave my wife a permanent residence status here.
what I think is that maybe they are considering our wedlock as a durable relationship since we have a child and we have been married for 5 years now, I now need advice that will it be safe enough to apply for EEA family permit for UK from Germany as I am a British citizen working here in Germany and now plan to permanently move to UK with my wife and child, also whether I should apply on the basis of my marriage or on the basis of a relationship that is durable enough to let my partner enter UK with me.

Legal advice in this matter is highly appreciated.

MelC

Re: EEA family permit for UK from Germany

Post by MelC » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:08 pm

ultragujar wrote:Dear all,

I need a legal advice to apply for my family (wife and son, 4 years old) the EEA family permit for UK from Germany.
I am a British citizen, my wife is a Pakistani national , my family came to Germany on visit visa on 01st January 2012, after then my wife and son applied for the residency and they got a permanent residence status here on the basis of a family member of EEA citizen. Permanent Residency was granted on 25th January 2012.
The problem is that I got married to my current wife in Pakistan before I got my decree absolute from my ex-British wife, the UK embassy therefore rejected our spouse visa as they do not consider our marriage valid, but when we came to Germany and gave them the same marriage certificate the embassy here did not make any issue and gave my wife a permanent residence status here.
what I think is that maybe they are considering our wedlock as a durable relationship since we have a child and we have been married for 5 years now, I now need advice that will it be safe enough to apply for EEA family permit for UK from Germany as I am a British citizen working here in Germany and now plan to permanently move to UK with my wife and child, also whether I should apply on the basis of my marriage or on the basis of a relationship that is durable enough to let my partner enter UK with me.

Legal advice in this matter is highly appreciated.
You certainly do need to seek legal advice, may I ask a couple of questions?

taking your post in order...

your "wife" and child joined you in Germany on a "visit visa", from where? Pakistan?

Your "wife" and child were entitled to join you under free movement, so did not need a visit visa for Germany, only an entry visa as family member of EEA citizen, but if you provided the decree absolute then as other family member under durable partnership?

are you sure they have Permanent Residence? granted after 24 days?

At some point in the past your wife has applied for a spouse visa to the UK, the UK is quite correct, your marriage is NOT valid.

the EU, as a whole is obliged to recognize a marriage validly contracted anywhere in the world, as you were not divorced wen you re-married, you marriage is neither legal or valid in the UK, or the rest of the EU?

when you gave the German authorities your marriage certificate did you also provide your decree absolute? there is no way the German authorities would know that you were not actually legally married without your informing them in some way, so it may well be that your "wife" has been issued a residence card as (direct) family member, it is possible that Germany could revoke it.

in theory, IF your wife has been issued a residence card as a family member of an EU/EEA national then she does not require an EEAfp to enter the UK, but you need to sort the legal status of your marriage, which currently is nil, because when it comes to any further residency documents you are going to fall down on this?

its quite possible that the Zambrano and/or Carpenter cases could be of use to you, but if your "wife" applies for an EEAfp as your "wife" and this is not the residency that Germany has granted, you are going to have a lot of explaining and fighting to do, sort out the marriage situation, as I am sure your wife isn't thrilled at not actually being legally married, even if polygamy is an accepted form of marriage in Pakistan, not to put to fine a point on it, you are British, and as a family, within the EU, polygamy is not accepted in the same way in the EU.

Good luck
MelC

Amo2012
United Kingdom

Post by Amo2012 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:08 pm

Thanks for your reply ,,,,my wife and son got "AUFENTHALTSKARTE", in english it mentioned 'Residence card of a family member of a union citizen'. yes, exactly after 24 days ,,,,,,we did submit the marriage certificate but the officer did not ask for the decree absolute, as a result we did not submit it but we handed over to him all those documents whatever they asked for..... they were convinced with our relationship, marriage and child and as a result they issued the card,,,,

But my question is, does this residence card entitles my wife and son to enter UK without a visa????

if yes then what shall be the procedure once they enter UK??? will she be given a residence status in UK ,,if not because of marriage then maybe because of a DURABLE relationship (even after the decree absolute we have been living together for about 3 years) as they say on the UKBA website????
also since she is a doctor she can give Plab, once she is there in UK and get a residence status on behalf of her profession...what shall be your advice???

MelC

Post by MelC » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:33 pm

ultragujar wrote:Thanks for your reply ,,,,my wife and son got "AUFENTHALTSKARTE", in english it mentioned 'Residence card of a family member of a union citizen'. yes, exactly after 24 days ,,,,,,we did submit the marriage certificate but the officer did not ask for the decree absolute, as a result we did not submit it but we handed over to him all those documents whatever they asked for..... they were convinced with our relationship, marriage and child and as a result they issued the card,,,,

But my question is, does this residence card entitles my wife and son to enter UK without a visa????

if yes then what shall be the procedure once they enter UK??? will she be given a residence status in UK ,,if not because of marriage then maybe because of a DURABLE relationship (even after the decree absolute we have been living together for about 3 years) as they say on the UKBA website????
also since she is a doctor she can give Plab, once she is there in UK and get a residence status on behalf of her profession...what shall be your advice???
thanks for clarifying that, we all learn from each others posts.

I personally could not, and would not advise you, I would suggest looking at worst case scenario, what possibly could happen, and look at how you can turn that around.

in your case, worst possible scenario is that when applying for residence documents in the UK, the issue comes up that unfortunately you are still not legally married, and that the RC issued in Germany was issued only because of your producing an invalid marriage certificate and therefore residence documents are not granted, and the German issued RC is revoked, its unlikely that your wife would be deported i would have thought, but you could probably find yourselves having to battle in court...
and the law might not be on your side, however liberal the ECJ is.

on the face of it, a residence card means no visa or eeafp so yes your wife should be able to enter the UK using her residence card, however, that still comes back to the point that the residence card was issued because you said she was your legal wife, with a legal and valid marriage, which you don't actually have, that is still something that you need to address.

I guess the question is do you address that now in Germany or later in the UK, either way you need to address it?

its immaterial what profession your wife is, if you intend to return to the UK, accompanied by your wife, under the Surinder singh route, then she does have to be your wife, legally?

you might find that there are no problems, but the bottom line at this time is that the RC your wife holds was issued because you used a false document, and that underpins whatever follows ~ that your wife holds a document that she is not entitled to hold, and could be revoked, it has a domino effect?

on saying that, many people have legitimized their immigration status through marriage.

Personally i don't see the point in creating a lot of stress and possible legal action when it can be avoided, put your hand up, say you didn't realize the absolute was not granted originally and get married again, this time legally.

if your wife simply sat it out for 5 years to get a Permanent residence card in the UK ~ the requirement is 5 years lawful residence, and your wife would not meet that criteria?
MelC

Amo2012
United Kingdom

Post by Amo2012 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:32 am

thanks again for such a detailed reply,,,,but what if we apply for the residence status in uk on basis of a durable relationship as given in the link below,

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucit ... ly-permit/#

if you and your partner are not married or in a civil partnership, you must be able to show that you are in a durable relationship with each other.

Amo2012
United Kingdom

Post by Amo2012 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:58 am

also as we have a son aged four ,,,do you think that they can abolish my wifes residence status even if we apply it on the basis of our son,

what if we apply for the residence status in uk on the basis of our son, as he cannot live with one parent,,,,and if we seek a good lawyer do you think he will be able to make the grounds solid for our residency in uk

also just want to let you know that we did tell the officer about the divorce and the decree but its the german embassy that did not ask for the paper and they gave her the residency status,,,so its not our fault as we did not hide anything,,,

do you think the Rc can be revoked even if the our son is a child of a Uk citizen and he is eligible for it,,,so now if our son gets it then even i am eligible for the card because of our son

what do you say???

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:29 am

I believe you should have challenged the ECO's refusal.

A polygamous marriage is valid in Pakistan, therefore even without a decree absolute, it is a valid marriage, as it is considered as such in Pakistan. The marriage was not conducted in the UK, but rather in a country where it is valid.
The UK are bound to accept its validity.

However the UK are not oblidge to recognise polygamous marriages for immigration purposes. Only one spouse is recognised. This does not apply in your case as you only have one spouse.

The Immigration act 1988 does not seek to invalidate a polygamous marriage (legal) as opposed to a bigamous marriage (illegal) if carried out in the UK. It simply seek to restrict the ammount of spouses that can benefit from such marriages. As you have divorced and legally married albeit polygamous (prior to decree absolute) , it is questionable that now that the marrige is officially dissolved, your wife would encounter any problems

I believe your wife will qualify under durable rationship, but you will have to fight as Regulation 9 does not provide for such relationships.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:01 pm

Remember this is a British citizen who would be returning to the UK on the basis of Singh. UK likes direct family members, like children and married spouses, but does not like other family members for Singh entry.

See 5.1.7 Determining that a marriage is legally valid in Chapter 5 of the ECI

MelC

Post by MelC » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:58 pm

Obie wrote:I believe you should have challenged the ECO's refusal.

A polygamous marriage is valid in Pakistan, therefore even without a decree absolute, it is a valid marriage, as it is considered as such in Pakistan. The marriage was not conducted in the UK, but rather in a country where it is valid.
The UK are bound to accept its validity.

However the UK are not oblidge to recognise polygamous marriages for immigration purposes. Only one spouse is recognised. This does not apply in your case as you only have one spouse.

The Immigration act 1988 does not seek to invalidate a polygamous marriage (legal) as opposed to a bigamous marriage (illegal) if carried out in the UK. It simply seek to restrict the ammount of spouses that can benefit from such marriages. As you have divorced and legally married albeit polygamous (prior to decree absolute) , it is questionable that now that the marrige is officially dissolved, your wife would encounter any problems

I believe your wife will qualify under durable rationship, but you will have to fight as Regulation 9 does not provide for such relationships.
Obie, I am sorry but I would disagree, indeed the link that directive 2004/38 posted bears me out ~ in respect of the marriage, irrespective of what is and is not valid or legally acceptable in Pakistan, the OP is a Brit Cit, and was not free to marry when he did because he did not have his decree absolute, irrespective of where he married, or what the laws are there, in fact a Brit Cit has to be sure to comply with both UK and the country of marriage requirements are.

as such the ECO refusing the application was the correct decision, i know of several spouse visa apps where the sponsor (Brit cit) did not enclose their decree absolute, and the visa was refused because the sponsor had not shown that they were free to marry when they did, the fact that they had produced a CONI prior to marriage was not sufficient for UKBA immigration purposes. These are cases where the Brit Cit was divorced, did have their Decree Absolute, they just had not enclosed it, in one case the divorce had taken place some 20+ years earlier.

I think his wife would encounter problems because legally she is not his wife.

I do agree that as a couple they do meet the criteria of a "durable relationship", but at some point they need to deal with the issue of the marriage?

I "suppose" they could enter the UK not saying they had "married" and wing it as a durable couple.

I do wonder if the German authorities were actually aware of the significance of the paperwork they saw as the OP has said the Decree absolute was handed over, i would suspect the UKBA to be much more eagle eyed.
MelC

Amo2012
United Kingdom

Post by Amo2012 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:58 pm

thanks to all of you for helping us out and giving such detailed replies,,,,,,,

so do you feel that we should first face the german authorities again and ask them to reconsider our Residence card as we do not qualify on the basis of marriage but they should provide the card on the basis of a durable relationship..... so if we do so do you feel that they might ask my wife and son to go back to pakistan or they would reconsider to provide us with some authentic document that would help us to live in europe legally..........

.and if all goes well we should then go to the uk emabssy for the EEA fp on the basis of durable relation.......

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:29 pm

I very much welcome contrary views to mine.

I accept this is not a simple issue with a simple answer, and might involve a bit of fighting.

We have to take this matter step by step.

1. It is settled law that validity of marriage is determined by Lex Loci celebrationis as opposed to domiciled, therefore the last criteria provided in the link above has been overruled by the UK courts in CB (Validity of marriage : proxy marriage ) Brazil [2008] UKAIT 00080

2. Pakistan Recognises this marriage or else it would not have been contracted.

3. OP is not seeking to bring 2 or 3 wives, he is seeking to bring 1 wife in only.

4. Let say, for argument sake, the domicile is relevant, we simply don't know where OP was domiciled prior to the marriage. Holding a British passport, does not on its own make someone a UK domiciled person

4. Even if i am wrong in my above statement, i believe the OP will have a strong case Under Article 3(2) of Directive 2004/38EC for his wife to be brought it under the Durable Relationship provision.
I am obviously mindful of Regulation 9.

- Regulation 9 is not absolute. It is intended to incoporate the Singh and Enid Ruling into UK domestic law.

- It fails to make provision for beneficiaries, who are covered by community law.

- Therefore a person, is allowed to challenge it in court and have the provision of Article 3(2) applied directly to their situation.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

MelC

Post by MelC » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:21 am

Obie wrote:I very much welcome contrary views to mine.

I accept this is not a simple issue with a simple answer, and might involve a bit of fighting.

We have to take this matter step by step.

1. It is settled law that validity of marriage is determined by Lex Loci celebrationis as opposed to domiciled, therefore the last criteria provided in the link above has been overruled by the UK courts in CB (Validity of marriage : proxy marriage ) Brazil [2008] UKAIT 00080

2. Pakistan Recognises this marriage or else it would not have been contracted.

3. OP is not seeking to bring 2 or 3 wives, he is seeking to bring 1 wife in only.

4. Let say, for argument sake, the domicile is relevant, we simply don't know where OP was domiciled prior to the marriage. Holding a British passport, does not on its own make someone a UK domiciled person

4. Even if i am wrong in my above statement, i believe the OP will have a strong case Under Article 3(2) of Directive 2004/38EC for his wife to be brought it under the Durable Relationship provision.
I am obviously mindful of Regulation 9.

- Regulation 9 is not absolute. It is intended to incoporate the Singh and Enid Ruling into UK domestic law.

- It fails to make provision for beneficiaries, who are covered by community law.

- Therefore a person, is allowed to challenge it in court and have the provision of Article 3(2) applied directly to their situation.
without contrary views, we would never learn anything? I am always open to learning, and on this forum I learn a lot.

I would agree that there is no simple answer, and from the case law reference you quoted i note:

para 22
Ms Cannell also referred to the second paragraph of those Instructions which say the following:
"2. Marriage Overseas
The recognition of any marriage which has taken place overseas is governed by the following:
• Is the type of marriage one recognised in the country in which it took place?
• Was the actual marriage properly executed so as to satisfy the requirements of the law of the country in which it took place?
• Was there anything in the law of either party's country of domicile that restricted his freedom to enter into the marriage ?
If the answers to the above questions are respectively, 'Yes', 'Yes', and 'No' then the marriage is valid whether or not it is polygamous."

i have highlighted the pertinent part? was there anything that restricted either party....
YES, one party to the marriage was not divorced.

so if the answer to the question is yes yes no, then its valid, but if either of the yes are a no or the no is a yes then it is not valid?

and from para 4 of the same:
The Immigration Judge went on to consider capacity to marry of those domiciled in the United Kingdom. This is governed by section 11 of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973. There are four requirements: that both parties are over the age of 18, neither is lawfully married, the parties are not inter-marrying, and the parties are respectively male and female. By implication he found that the appellant and his wife met these four criteria and that as a consequence there was nothing in the law of their country of domicile to prevent them from contracting a valid marriage by proxy in Brazil. He accepted therefore that they were legitimately married and that the appellant was therefore Ms Kowalczyk's family member. She is a citizen of Poland and it seems not to be contested that at all material times she has been a qualified person within regulation 6 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006.

the OP does not meet all 4 of the criteria? again because he was not divorced at the time.

isn't a Brit cit always domiciled in Britain?

I do understand the reasoning in the case law reference about proxy marriage, I wasn't married by proxy but i did marry overseas, and to the requirements of that country (Tunisia) which involved my producing a CONI, and to get that I had to produce a Decree Absolute, to show that i was free to marry, irrespective of where polygamy is practiced, which it isn't in Tunisia, if i did not have a decree absolute i would have been committing bigamy from the point of view of the UK, and in Tunisia a person must be divorced more than 3 months, and if not divorced (no decree absolute) then i would also have been committing bigamy. i think the issue here is bigamy rather than polygamy?

I am not up to speed on the requirements of marriage in Pakistan, one would assume that the marriage met the requirements, but was/is the OP a brit cit, or does he also hold Pakistan nationality? if so did he marry as a brit cit or as a Pakistan national?

as you so rightly say, no simple answer, as there is much to consider where the marriage is concerned?

But is the OP seeking to bring only 1 wife? as he was not free to enter into the marraige she actually isnt his wife, as he committed bigamy?

just because a brit cit goes to another country to marry, if they are not free to marry they are a bigamist? irrespective of the laws of the country they marry in?

me thinks i need to read up a whole lot more?

I would think that holding a british/UK passport doesn't make one domiciled in the UK? isn't ikimi v ikimi case law on same? domicle/residence

I would agree totally that the OP falls within 3.2b, the extensive examination of personal circumstances might just pick up the marriage?

could the UKBA deny residence under durable relationship if it was found that the couple had married but that it wasn't valid,which is the whole question i guess?

If reg 9 can be challenged, and article 3.2 applied directly, then that is an option.

I am mindful of the fact that if the OP goes as married, it will be found that the marriage is not valid, so going as durable would work, but create other issues, in that it comes under OFM rather than FM.

in theory as a res card has been issued there is no need for an EEA/fp.

something else i (we) have recently done, as you know from my posts, and my hubbies RC had "expired" as it wasn't issued for 5 years!

but just because there are some similarities in cases doesn't mean they will work in all cases?
MelC

MelC

Post by MelC » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:25 am

ultragujar wrote:thanks to all of you for helping us out and giving such detailed replies,,,,,,,

so do you feel that we should first face the german authorities again and ask them to reconsider our Residence card as we do not qualify on the basis of marriage but they should provide the card on the basis of a durable relationship..... so if we do so do you feel that they might ask my wife and son to go back to pakistan or they would reconsider to provide us with some authentic document that would help us to live in europe legally..........

.and if all goes well we should then go to the uk emabssy for the EEA fp on the basis of durable relation.......
that sounds like a whole new can of worms to be honest, and you really do need to seek specialist advice, on saying that, as cases seem to go, you could enter on the RC thats been issued and simply marry in the UK, and tell the UKBA afterwards?

that is not advice by the way, im just wondering what the UKBA would make of it, not much they could do, if you said it was a genuine mistake on your part (the decree absolute date) didn't recent case law state that a sponsor was "honest but confused"

interesting thought!
MelC

Amo2012
United Kingdom

Post by Amo2012 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:04 pm

hello everybody,
all your conversation is very helpful and i am coming to the point that i must need to put this case on the right track otherwise there will always be so many hidden difficulties all the times.....

1) what if i manage to get new nikah nama from pakistan dated back to 2010 as decree absolute was announced in 2009,,,,then should i attach both the nikah namas previous and the new and the apply for the permit on marriage bases???

2)another question is that, is it possible to register my marriage in Germany or anywhere in Europe even after we got the residence card from here on the basis of marriage

3)also i want to clear that i was holding ILR on the Pakistani Passport when we got married but living and working in London, so do you think that my domicile was UK as i was not a UK national at that moment

4)also regarding the travel to UK on the basis of Residence permit ,,,the agency "World Bridge" who collects and delivers the documents of the candidates on behalf of UK Embassy replied in the following manner:

"Although the UK is a member of the EEA, the EEA Family Permit regulation does not apply, in general, to British citizens and their family members.

If a British citizen is living in another EEA country, their non-EEA family members can apply for an EEA family permit to join them on their return to the UK . This is subject to the following conditions:

v The British citizen is residing in an EEA Member State as a worker or self-employed person or was doing so before returning to the UK.

v If the family member of the British citizen is their spouse or civil partner, they are living together in the EEA country or they entered into the marriage or civil partnership and were living together in that EEA country before returning to the UK.

v The family member is lawfully resident in the EEA country where the British citizen is working.

This entry clearance is free of charge and it is valid for six months."

5) does the residence permit card of the family member of the Union citizen and that of the unmarried partner of the Union citizen looks the same with no difference of words?

Thanks

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:35 pm

ultragujar wrote:1) what if i manage to get new nikah nama from pakistan dated back to 2010 as decree absolute was announced in 2009,,,,then should i attach both the nikah namas previous and the new and the apply for the permit on marriage bases???
I do not know exactly what a "mikah nama" is and how it fits in to UK law. But if it means that you were free to marry, and was correctly and lawfully issued on the date specified on the document, then it is worth thinking about including it.

I once read something about dealing with immigration agencies which was something like: Do not assume you are walking along a sand beach and the next wave will erase any memory of your application. You should assume it is all written down and cross checked the next time you apply. On some EU applications you can not answer some of the questions if you do not want to. But if you answer, do it truthfully.

Eirikur
Netherlands

Post by Eirikur » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:12 pm

Ok I may be a bit simplistic here, but would it be possible to remarry in the Uk or Germany, so the marriage is valid. The past years would certainly qualify for a durable relationship

MelC

Post by MelC » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Eirikur wrote:Ok I may be a bit simplistic here, but would it be possible to remarry in the Uk or Germany, so the marriage is valid. The past years would certainly qualify for a durable relationship
simple is most often just the best?

which was why i said for the OP to deal with the marriage issue ~

if the OP married NOW, it would probably legalize the situation?

it would be my choice rather than getting into a whole can of worms of trying to remember what i had said to who on what application and making myself look "dodgy" drawing attention to myself giving the UKBA reason to dig deeper and at the very least delay admission ~ on the basis that the FM was actually an OFM and that there was some possible fraudulentuse of documents ~ abuse or rights etc, the UKBA would love it!

and at some point the marraige has to be dealt with?
MelC

MelC

Post by MelC » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:42 pm

ultragujar wrote:hello everybody,
all your conversation is very helpful and i am coming to the point that i must need to put this case on the right track otherwise there will always be so many hidden difficulties all the times.....

I think you are quite right, and I am sure you were hoping for a very simple answer, but there cannot be one? and the only way to find out how you should proceed is to look at each possibility until you hit another problem? which is what has occured?

i have asked a buddy at the UKBA, hypothetically of course, and they will get back to me asap.

1) what if i manage to get new nikah nama from pakistan dated back to 2010 as decree absolute was announced in 2009,,,,then should i attach both the nikah namas previous and the new and the apply for the permit on marriage bases???

i don't know much about the pakistan marriage system, but i think you could just be piling criminal activity after criminal activity here?

2)another question is that, is it possible to register my marriage in Germany or anywhere in Europe even after we got the residence card from here on the basis of marriage

NO, your marriage was conducted in Pakistan, you cna't register it elsewhere

3)also i want to clear that i was holding ILR on the Pakistani Passport when we got married but living and working in London, so do you think that my domicile was UK as i was not a UK national at that moment

So you were NOT a British Citizen when you married in Pakistan.
what country were you originally married? and how long were you married before you divorced?

I am just wondering what the ECO saw when they looked at your present wifes spouse application.

Domicile and Residence are not the same thing, a person can be resident in more than one place but only domiciled in one.

4)also regarding the travel to UK on the basis of Residence permit ,,,the agency "World Bridge" who collects and delivers the documents of the candidates on behalf of UK Embassy replied in the following manner:

"Although the UK is a member of the EEA, the EEA Family Permit regulation does not apply, in general, to British citizens and their family members.

the above refers to brit cits in the UK.

If a British citizen is living in another EEA country, their non-EEA family members can apply for an EEA family permit to join them on their return to the UK . This is subject to the following conditions:

v The British citizen is residing in an EEA Member State as a worker or self-employed person or was doing so before returning to the UK.

v If the family member of the British citizen is their spouse or civil partner, they are living together in the EEA country or they entered into the marriage or civil partnership and were living together in that EEA country before returning to the UK.

v The family member is lawfully resident in the EEA country where the British citizen is working.

This entry clearance is free of charge and it is valid for six months."

5) does the residence permit card of the family member of the Union citizen and that of the unmarried partner of the Union citizen looks the same with no difference of words?

I have no idea if there is any difference in the wording. and can see literally where you are going wit this...

Thanks
I think it will all come back to the point though, that you were resident in the UK at the time of the divorce, and chose to have the divorce in the UK and therefore put yourself under UK divorce laws? but as you were NOT a Brit Cit at that time, that may change the whole situation of the 2nd marraige in Pakistan, however returning to the UK, the decree absolute may well come up at some point, most likely just when you don't need it to?
as has been said, do not assume that your past with the UK immigration is not recorded ~ it most likely is ~

you need to sort out the marriage, once you have done that you will know whether there are other issues or not?

you would probably be best to speak to a solicitor who is familiar with both Pakistan and the UK, perhaps an Asian solicitor in the UK?

giving or attempting to use false documents remove your status under the directive?
MelC

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:00 pm

ultragujar wrote:Thanks for your reply ,,,,my wife and son got "AUFENTHALTSKARTE", in english it mentioned 'Residence card of a family member of a union citizen'. yes, exactly after 24 days ,,,,,,we did submit the marriage certificate but the officer did not ask for the decree absolute, as a result we did not submit it but we handed over to him all those documents whatever they asked for..... they were convinced with our relationship, marriage and child and as a result they issued the card,,,,

I gather that your wife received the new biometric residence card, but that does not say anything about the nature of her permit (Aufenthaltstitel). There are several different ones: Aufenthaltserlaubnis, Aufenthaltsgenehmigung, Duldung...) If the card does not have 'unbefristet' somewhere written on it, it is very much not a permanent residence permit. Look for an expiration date on the card. It should be directly under her name (Gültig bis:).

I checked in detail and her Aufenthaltskarte should have a validity of five years. This is not the equivalent to ILR. I know people, who have lived in Germany legally for more than 30 years and never attained an indefinite permit.

I had a look at the forms again (it´s been a while since I had to fill one in) and I think you stated your wife´s status as married on her form and your own marital status as married on your form without divulging that you are also divorced?

In that case, the German authorities would have asked for your divorce certificate.

If you are ever found out, this has the potential to create problems for you and your wife, as she is effectively staying in Germany under false pretense and thus illegally and could be deported.

Is your son a British citizen?

You would not be able to marry in Germany, as your wife has to be in Germany legally in the first place in order to get married here. You also need to supply a huge pile of documents to get permission to marry here. On the basis of these documents, the German Embassy in Pakistan does all sorts of costly background checks (which you have to pay) regarding your wife - if anybody they talk to says she is already married, you don´t even want to think about what will happen.

That your wedding date is now in the system already is also not at all conducive to your situation.

Your wife and son need an entry clearance to enter the UK even when holding a German residence permit.

I would advise you to find a good lawyer specialising in 'Ausländerrecht' and invest 50 - 100 Euro into a consultation session. This does not oblige you to then hire the lawyer for any sort of services beyond the initial consultation.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:16 pm

ALKB wrote:I checked in detail and her Aufenthaltskarte should have a validity of five years. This is not the equivalent to ILR. I know people, who have lived in Germany legally for more than 30 years and never attained an indefinite permit.
The people you know were not EU citizens or family members of EU citizens. So not relevant in this case.
ALKB wrote:I had a look at the forms again (it´s been a while since I had to fill one in) and I think you stated your wife´s status as married on her form and your own marital status as married on your form without divulging that you are also divorced?
What exactly did the form say? Is this exactly the same form that the OP filled out?

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:23 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
ALKB wrote:I checked in detail and her Aufenthaltskarte should have a validity of five years. This is not the equivalent to ILR. I know people, who have lived in Germany legally for more than 30 years and never attained an indefinite permit.
The people you know were not EU citizens or family members of EU citizens. So not relevant in this case.

A 'Aufenthaltskarte for EEA family members' does not equal a 'unbefristete Aufenthaltsgenehmigung'. The Residence card for EEA family members is issued for five years after which it can and will be renewed, if circumstances have not changed. For an indefinite permit to be issued, certain additional criteria have to be met, such as knowledge of the German language. (Of course, she doesn´t need an unbefristete Aufenthaltsgenehmigung but still it´s not the same.)
ALKB wrote:I had a look at the forms again (it´s been a while since I had to fill one in) and I think you stated your wife´s status as married on her form and your own marital status as married on your form without divulging that you are also divorced?
What exactly did the form say? Is this exactly the same form that the OP filled out?
I looked at the 'Aufenthaltsanzeige für EU Bürger und deren Familienangehörige' it clearly asks for marital status: married since:.... divorced since:..... any conflicting data entered here would have raised red flags. On the bottom it says clearly that the undersigned declares that all given information is true and complete to his best knowledge.

German law does not recognise polygamy, even if the marriage took place in a coutry where it is legal. There are exceptions and cases currently in the courts but they are all about polygamous families which were intact and would have been torn apart and one or more wives would have been left alone in most compassionate circumstances. The OP married his second wife after he had received the decree nisi, was clearly in the midst of a divorce, but did not wait until the divorce was complete. He was not free to marry at the time.

In any case, it is unlikely that he will be found out in Germany. After all, the German authorities do not know about his first marriage at all, it seems.

Nevertheless, the OP is trying to move his family to the UK on the basis of the Aufenthaltskarte. His family will still need an entry clearance for the UK and there his and his wife´s immigration history is on file.

I don´t know how he will be able to erase that history and gain entrance to the UK for his wife or attain permanent residence in the UK for his wife.

I am a bit surprised that he was granted British citizenship at all. For the exact same cicumstances, German nationality has been revoked before (German wife, Pakistani national was granted German nationality on the basis of this marriage, then immediate divorce after receiving the passport, a Pakistani wife is produced and that marriage took place after separation from the German wife but before the court had granted divorce).

So I think he is quite lucky that his only problem is not being able to gain entry to the UK for his family. It might be a much better idea to simply settle in Germany.

Amo2012
United Kingdom

Post by Amo2012 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:10 pm

1-situation while applying the residence card for family:

a)whatever they asked for we provided
b)obviously they (german authorities) asked for the divorce, we told them...they didnt ask for the decree.........we did not show them
c)they ask for our marriage certificate (Nikah Nama).....we provided
d)they send marriage certificate (Nikah Nama) to their marriage office (standesamt) for its originality etc.......it was approved from them
e)we have been called for the residence cards

we did not hide anything from them.........i don't know if they made the mistake or what but i had provided them what they asked for

2-Planning to apply for EEAfp for UK on the bases of durable relationship of more than 2 years, please guide me for the application:

a)how much finance do i need to show for my partner and son?

b)do i need to show the accommodation, if yes can i show hotel booking?

c)if we would be lucky to get EEAfp for UK, can we register our marriage in UK?

d)do i have to show job offer letter from UK?

e)what other docs are required?

thanks

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:45 am

It sounds like you have done the right thing in Germany. I hope you are enjoying it there too.

What is the citizenship of your child?

Also, do you have an interest in resolving the marriage thing now?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:59 am

ultragujar wrote:1-situation while applying the residence card for family:

a)whatever they asked for we provided
b)obviously they (german authorities) asked for the divorce, we told them...they didnt ask for the decree.........we did not show them
c)they ask for our marriage certificate (Nikah Nama).....we provided
d)they send marriage certificate (Nikah Nama) to their marriage office (standesamt) for its originality etc.......it was approved from them
e)we have been called for the residence cards

we did not hide anything from them.........i don't know if they made the mistake or what but i had provided them what they asked for

2-Planning to apply for EEAfp for UK on the bases of durable relationship of more than 2 years, please guide me for the application:

a)how much finance do i need to show for my partner and son? (none)

b)do i need to show the accommodation, if yes can i show hotel booking? (not required)

c)if we would be lucky to get EEAfp for UK, can we register our marriage in UK? (I have no idea)

d)do i have to show job offer letter from UK? (No)

e)what other docs are required? (For Singh case proof that exercised treaty rights in Germany, your German issued docs)

thanks
If you have a child and are together, I don't think people could argue too much that you are not in a durable relationship. You also live together and have residence documents to boot.
I've made some comments on your second point above.

Amo2012
United Kingdom

Post by Amo2012 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:39 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
What is the citizenship of your child?

My son is a Pakistani National, the time he was born I was on ILR.

Also, do you have an interest in resolving the marriage thing now?

definitely Sir, we are tired of this issue, sometimes it looks that may be we have cheated UK laws, sometimes it feels that may be we are cheating EU laws....but believe me we just went with the flow without any wrong intentions and still i want to resolve this issue in a way that me and my family could permanently settle down in UK............