ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Living Together Requirement

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chavre
Newly Registered

Living Together Requirement

Post by chavre » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:57 pm

Dear all-

I have looked at previous postings and check the living together requirement suggested by some forumers (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... 3/#header6) but cannot find any definite answers, so hope someone is able to help please.

My partner and I live separately at the moment. He has his own place, and I have my own (he lives with his parents, both retired). We have been thinking of living together and have registered with some letting agencies. However my rent is paid quarterly which means that I have already paid for March, April, May and June. So if I get a new place, it would only benefit me to move in with my partner after June.

How could we prove our intention to live together? His parents have said that if I want to move in with them temporarily it is not going to be a problem at all. After all I won't be homeless.

Looking at the UKBA link above it says that as long as being in this country is a condition to live together (in other words, if I go back home to my own country will mean that we will not be leaving together since my husband is a British citizen), the living together requirement is satisfied.

Please could someone help - I'm confused...

Thanks all...

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:12 am

It might help you get some information if you are a little clearer about your situation. you appear to have a British partner and you that this person is your husband and that you are not living together.
It is not clear is you are a visa national .
pennyless

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:09 am

The guidance you are looking at does not say that 'as long as being in the country is a condition to live together then the living together requirement is satisfied' what it says is that the intention to live together requirement can be satisfied even if the intention is additional on the applicant spouse being granted the visa. This guidance is for applications for entry clearance i.e. Applications made from outside the UK although it is still relevant to in country applications. Nevertheless, given that you are already in the UK, are married but are not living together you are going to struggle to meet the intention to live together requirement and may also cause the decision maker to doubt that your relationship is genuine.

It is not clear what is preventing you from living together at the moment - why can't your husband live with you in your current place? You say you rent is already paid for the quarter- but when does you tenancy agreement run to? if for example able to end the agreement now or by giving notice then presumably you could get a refund for the rent paid in advance? How long have you been married? How far apart are you and your husband currently living? What is your current immigration status?

chavre
Newly Registered

Post by chavre » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Greenie wrote:The guidance you are looking at does not say that 'as long as being in the country is a condition to live together then the living together requirement is satisfied' what it says is that the intention to live together requirement can be satisfied even if the intention is additional on the applicant spouse being granted the visa. This guidance is for applications for entry clearance i.e. Applications made from outside the UK although it is still relevant to in country applications. Nevertheless, given that you are already in the UK, are married but are not living together you are going to struggle to meet the intention to live together requirement and may also cause the decision maker to doubt that your relationship is genuine.

It is not clear what is preventing you from living together at the moment - why can't your husband live with you in your current place? You say you rent is already paid for the quarter- but when does you tenancy agreement run to? if for example able to end the agreement now or by giving notice then presumably you could get a refund for the rent paid in advance? How long have you been married? How far apart are you and your husband currently living? What is your current immigration status?
Hi Thanks for responding.

- I just got married last week. I am on a student Visa until September this year and will be graduated in May.

- The tenancy runs out in May and my landlord will not pay me back. The only alternative is to rent out (sub-let) the place if I want to quit this place early.

- My husband lives 30 minutes away from my place. We see each other over the weekend but on weekdays he stays at his parents. His work place is two minutes away from his parents house. It is just a matter of convenience that he doesn't live with me at the moment since his work is closer to his parents house. We are currently looking for a house now.

Please could you help how could I prove the intention to live together, thank you....

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:14 pm

chavre wrote:
Greenie wrote:The guidance you are looking at does not say that 'as long as being in the country is a condition to live together then the living together requirement is satisfied' what it says is that the intention to live together requirement can be satisfied even if the intention is additional on the applicant spouse being granted the visa. This guidance is for applications for entry clearance i.e. Applications made from outside the UK although it is still relevant to in country applications. Nevertheless, given that you are already in the UK, are married but are not living together you are going to struggle to meet the intention to live together requirement and may also cause the decision maker to doubt that your relationship is genuine.

Hi Thanks for responding.

- I just got married last week. I am on a student Visa until September this year and will be graduated in May.

- The tenancy runs out in May and my landlord will not pay me back. The only alternative is to rent out (sub-let) the place if I want to quit this place early.

- My husband lives 30 minutes away from my place. We see each other over the weekend but on weekdays he stays at his parents. His work place is two minutes away from his parents house. It is just a matter of convenience that he doesn't live with me at the moment since his work is closer to his parents house. We are currently looking for a house now.

Please could you help how could I prove the intention to live together, thank you....
if you are not living together when you make the application because it is too inconvenient for him to travel 30 minutes to get to work, you are unlikely to satisfy the intention to live together requirement.