ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indefinite Leave to remain based on 14 Years long residence

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SouthAfricanInUK
Newly Registered

Indefinite Leave to remain based on 14 Years long residence

Post by SouthAfricanInUK » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi All,
I have been living in the UK for 14 years now. I came over In 1998 on a working holiday visa. Since then I studied a course at university and changed my visa to a student visa for every year of my studies. In November 2002 I got married to a UK citizen and soon after I sent in my application for ILR as a spouse. For years I didnt hear anything from the Home Office. In the meantime I moved house ( which I notified the Home Office of via registered post ) and also I separated from my husband in 2005.
During all this time I tried repeatedly to contact the Home Office as to the progress of my application. Every time I spoke to them they told me exactly the same thing, that my application had been handed to a case worker :x
After many more attempts to get an answer out of them they finally sent me a copy of their so called reply to me which had apparently been sent to my previous address ( this was supposed to have been sent in 2006, however there was no date on the so called copy of their letter which was emailed to me. )
Miraculously shortly afterwards I received another letter from the Home Office now calling themselves the UK Border Agency saying that they had made a mistake and sent a response to my old address, also admitting that my previous passport was now lost and that the department dealing with the application at the time had now been disbanded.
This new letter from UKBA asked for new documents ( Marriage certificate, husband's passport, wage slips, proof of address and 2 passport photos )
I sent them all the information required within the 14 day time limit stipulated on the letter. This was in October 2009. I am still waiting for a response.
Do I now need a solicitor to contact UKBA on my behalf and if so can anyone recommend any decent ones ?
The letter also asks about the Knowledge of Life in the UK test and if had taken it. I replied that I didnt because it wasnt a requirement when I made my application in 2003.
Should I take the KOL in the UK test will that benefit my case ?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated :lol:

quantum1
Member of Standing

Post by quantum1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:51 pm

Probably get your MP involved. This usually expedites things. A consultation with a solicitor would also give you options and possible scenarios.