ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Salary slips with inconsistent NI numbers

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ateer

Post by ateer » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi there,

I am planning to extend my Tier 1(General) visa. I changed my job last year and joined a new company. Because initially, they didn't have my P45, they put a placeholder NI number on a couple of my salary slips than the actual NI number. Due to this, now, I have 2 wage slips with some temporary NI Number and the rest with my actual NI number. All the other details on my wage slips are consistent except the NI number in 2 of them. Any idea, how I can convince the Home Office at the time of my visa extension that those 2 pay slips belong to me and not anyone else?

Any thoughts, ideas, advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
ateer

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:39 pm

place holder NI ?!? never heard that before. if you dont have P45 then its normally the emergency/temporary tax code which is applied.

Why couldnt you give your NI number to them ? did they not ask ?

Anyhooz, better get the NI number right by asking them to issue new payslip or a letter from the company
Manka

ateer

Post by ateer » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:06 pm

@Manka10 - Thanks for your reply. You're right, they did apply a temporary tax code for initial 2 months but they never bothered to follow up with me before putting a temporary NI number. It didn't occurr to me either, that they were putting some temporary NI number on my pay slip until later. Sloppy work, I say. I did give them my NI number when I noticed this but it was too late and they couldn't produce a new pay slip for me again (due to some accounting tool related stupid excuse which I never understood but I couldn't fight with them anymore).

So now, is the best course of action for me to get a letter from them stating that they've given me a temporary NI number on my first could of wage slips? They won't issue me a new payslip for sure. I can tell you that for nothing. Do I have to get a letter or is it understood?

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:25 pm

Temp NI number is not a sloppy work. They must have assumed that you do not have one. Your temp NI number is your DOB and "M"/"F" at the end. This should not matter as HO will be able to verify the tax paid from HMRC.

As long as what you are claiming is legitimate, you should not have any problem. On top, your salary would match the bank statement. Plus you can submit the employment contract. I have a salary slip which Says R. Patel and I am sure there are least 1000+ R Patels in the UK. My NI number on wage slip shows as *******1B (for security reasons) and I have had my visa renewed less than 48 hrs ago.
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:38 pm

ateer wrote:@Manka10 - Thanks for your reply. You're right, they did apply a temporary tax code for initial 2 months but they never bothered to follow up with me before putting a temporary NI number. It didn't occurr to me either, that they were putting some temporary NI number on my pay slip until later. Sloppy work, I say. I did give them my NI number when I noticed this but it was too late and they couldn't produce a new pay slip for me again (due to some accounting tool related stupid excuse which I never understood but I couldn't fight with them anymore).

So now, is the best course of action for me to get a letter from them stating that they've given me a temporary NI number on my first could of wage slips? They won't issue me a new payslip for sure. I can tell you that for nothing. Do I have to get a letter or is it understood?
Why don't you get a detailed letter from your employer mentioning your salary details for the whole year and don't provide the salary slips. I did the same for my extension in Feb 2012.

ateer

Post by ateer » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:16 pm

@raxs1983 - Thanks for your reply. I just noticed the temporary NI number and it does match my DOB as you say. Ok, so that explains it a bit more. Thanks for that. The earnings are legit and the salary amount matches with my bank statement. So which of the following, you think would be the best course of action:

1) Explain the temporary NI number in the cover letter for those 2 payslips.

2) Get a letter from the employer stating that they gave a temp NI initially.

or

2) Get a statement of earnings signed by my employer (as suggested by tahirnaveed) without submitting my payslips to them so there won't be any ambiguity

I am leaning towards the last 2nd option.

Is that Ok?

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Re: Salary slips with inconsistent NI numbers

Post by rakeysh.patel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:34 pm

Remember the thumb rule. Do not "EVER" complicate your case by submitting too many documents. While we may think it will help our case but very unfortunately CW are not that highly skilled themselves. They have a checklist to follow instead.

In any case, you have to submit the Payslips. So your Option 2b is not applicable. Employer will not reprint the payslip with correct NI number as it might be deemed as illegal from HMRC's perspective. If you can get the letter from the employer showing the salary by month in a table format, that would be fine.

However, I would not even bother getting that. Like I said, your temp NI is linked to your DOB and its fully verifiable. You need not to panic at all here. In fact, if I were you and going to PEO appointment and had the letter from employer, I would not submit until asked to prove.

Dont worry, you will be fine. Rest your anxiety (I know it is hard to)
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

ateer

Post by ateer » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks @raxs1983 for your advice. It was re-assuring enough to put my mind to rest for now :). Shall do as advised.

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:53 pm

ateer wrote:Thanks @raxs1983 for your advice. It was re-assuring enough to put my mind to rest for now :). Shall do as advised.
Good luck.

Have faith in god, but don't forget to lock the car :)