ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When to apply for British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

LAROCCAMOM

When to apply for British Citizenship

Post by LAROCCAMOM » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:38 pm

I've read here that an EEA family member can apply after Holding the PR for 5 years but according to the UKBA website it reads:

"European Economic Area nationals and Swiss nationals

If you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, or you are the family member of such a person, you will automatically have permanent residence status if you have exercised EEA free-movement rights in the UK for a continuous five-year period ending on or after 30 April 2006. You do not need to apply for leave to remain. You should have held permanent residence status for 12 months before you apply for naturalisation."

Am I to understand that per UKBA you can apply for citizenship after holding PR for 12 months and not 5 years, since 5 continous years were lived in the UK while holding the RC?

Confused.com
Laroccamom
Don't ask for an easier life, ask to be a stronger person.

EEA1 &EEA2 mailed: 28/11/2011
Received by HO: 29/11/2011
Residence Certificate Received: 19/12/2011
Spouse COA Received: 19/12/2011
Spouse RC Received: 1/3/2012

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: When to apply for British Citizenship

Post by Jambo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:56 pm

LAROCCAMOM wrote:I've read here that an EEA family member can apply after Holding the PR for 5 years
Not sure where you read that. For BC, the residence qualifying period is 5 years (if not married to BC) but not all the 5 years need to be afrer ILR/PR. see more in Q1 in FAQ - most common questions.

afsheenazeem
Newly Registered

Post by afsheenazeem » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:05 am

m I to understand that per UKBA you can apply for citizenship after holding PR for 12 months and not 5 years, since 5 continous years were lived in the UK while holding the RC?
you have to be either in possession of PR or eligible for PR for atleast one year before you can apply for naturalization, not 5 years after the PR.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... uirements/

hope that answers your question