ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in the UK test

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dayana173
Newly Registered

Life in the UK test

Post by dayana173 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:19 am

My question is when you have to take Life in the UK test when you applying for permanent residence or for british passport because people around me saying different things and I am getting confuse. Thanks for the help.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:24 am

The answer is none in the cases you mentioned.

You need to pass the Life in the UK test before application for naturalisation as BC. It is not required for PR under EEA regulations (it is required for ILR under UK immigration rules) or for passport application once you are British.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Jambo wrote:The answer is none in the cases you mentioned.

You need to pass the Life in the UK test before application for naturalisation as BC. It is not required for PR under EEA regulations (it is required for ILR under UK immigration rules) or for passport application once you are British.
Hi Jambo how long is it valid for? if i take it next month will it be valid till dec or deb 2013?

Many Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:35 pm

Life in the UK wrote:If I pass the test, what happens next?

If you pass the test, your test supervisor will give you a pass notification letter. You will be required to sign the pass notification letter before you leave the test centre. This letter contains details of your test date, supervisor, centre location and a unique ID number. This pass notification letter does not have an expiry date and you should therefore look after this carefully.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:48 pm

can i have it in punjabi?

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Perhaps there exists a "Life in the Punjab" test for people who aspire to be Punjabi citizens.

However, people who want to become British Citizens are expected to have a reasonable command of English, which is one the things that the "Life in the UK" test is supposed to establish.

Anyway, see http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ for details.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:42 pm

thanks for the link.

but personally i feel its not fair for the people to spend so much of money for this test. i am talking of those who have education from this country and can talk well in english.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:56 pm

Punjab wrote:thanks for the link.

but personally i feel its not fair for the people to spend so much of money for this test. i am talking of those who have education from this country and can talk well in english.
it's not about being able to 'talk well in English' but about knowledge of language and life in the UK' The test is not really expensive, £34 I think currently due to rise to £50. Applying for citizenship is a choice, and a privilege.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:05 pm

Greenie wrote:

OH MY GOD £50.... :evil: just when you think things are getting better

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:12 pm

Punjab wrote:
Greenie wrote:

if you are shocked by the cost of the test, then how will you cope when you realise you actually need to pay to apply for naturalisation. And it's a lot more than £50. :roll:

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:12 pm

Punjab wrote: OH MY GOD £50.... :evil: just when you think things are getting better
"Getting better" where and for whom? :shock: The last I saw, the 'common man' was being hit from all sides and pockets drained by the day.

But if you know where the secret party's happening, and have a spare pass, then PM me!

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:47 am

Plum70 wrote:
Punjab wrote: OH MY GOD £50.... :evil: just when you think things are getting better
"Getting better" where and for whom? :shock: The last I saw, the 'common man' was being hit from all sides and pockets drained by the day.

But if you know where the secret party's happening, and have a spare pass, then PM me!
Tesco's buy one get one free.. i saved £8 on hsaving gels and shower gels and shampoos...

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:48 am

Greenie wrote:
Punjab wrote:
Greenie wrote:

if you are shocked by the cost of the test, then how will you cope when you realise you actually need to pay to apply for naturalisation. And it's a lot more than £50. :roll:
life is such a b!!!h .

lukt
- thin ice -

Re: Life in the UK test

Post by lukt » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi,

You need to do the Life in the UK test, before applying for PR (ILR-Indefinite leave to remain)
dayana173 wrote:My question is when you have to take Life in the UK test when you applying for permanent residence or for british passport because people around me saying different things and I am getting confuse. Thanks for the help.

lukt
- thin ice -

Post by lukt » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Unfortunately those are the rules !
For eg if you have a Ph.D. in English Literature, you still need to do the Citizenship exam, as your level of English is above ESOL level 3

By the way it's a 5 minutes exam (OK you get 45 minutes) with 24 questions out of which you need to get 18 correct to get the 75% pass mark :)

James

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Life in the UK test is not relevant to Permanent Residence applications made under 2006 immigration (EEA) regulations, which is what this section of the board was set up for. Other categories, perhaps, but not for PR.

lukt
- thin ice -

Post by lukt » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:39 pm

Sorry my mistake, I didn't see the specific section of the forum !
James
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Life in the UK test is not relevant to Permanent Residence applications made under 2006 immigration (EEA) regulations, which is what this section of the board was set up for. Other categories, perhaps, but not for PR.