ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Car lump sum and mileage considered as INCOME?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dasavathar

Car lump sum and mileage considered as INCOME?

Post by Dasavathar » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:53 am

Dear All,

Currently I am in Tier 1 General and my visa is due for extension in June 2012.

I work for a City Council as a Social Worker. As an essential car user, my employer pays me £90 every month as car lump sum and in addition to that they pay 40 pence for every mile. Roughly I will be getting £200 for mileage but this figure varies every month due to my usage of the car but my lump sum remains the same. (90 + 200 =290). The Gross salary is 3 components: salary, car lump sum and the mileage and all these 3 components are taxed.

For my first time Tier 1 General application, my solicitor filed the application on my behalf on the same day appointment and she included all these as my income since its all been taxed. This time I am planning to file my application on my own. Can anyone tell me whether my lump sum and the mileage can be considered as income since its been taxed? Or any changes to this?

Many thanks

Das

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Re: Car lump sum and mileage considered as INCOME?

Post by rakeysh.patel » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:27 am

Dasavathar wrote:Dear All,

Currently I am in Tier 1 General and my visa is due for extension in June 2012.

I work for a City Council as a Social Worker. As an essential car user, my employer pays me £90 every month as car lump sum and in addition to that they pay 40 pence for every mile. Roughly I will be getting £200 for mileage but this figure varies every month due to my usage of the car but my lump sum remains the same. (90 + 200 =290). The Gross salary is 3 components: salary, car lump sum and the mileage and all these 3 components are taxed.

For my first time Tier 1 General application, my solicitor filed the application on my behalf on the same day appointment and she included all these as my income since its all been taxed. This time I am planning to file my application on my own. Can anyone tell me whether my lump sum and the mileage can be considered as income since its been taxed? Or any changes to this?

Many thanks

Das
Do you pay taxes on those earnings? If so, YES you can count them towards your earnings.
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

Dasavathar

Post by Dasavathar » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:33 am

Hi Raxs,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I pay tax for both my car lump sum and the mileage I claim.

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:35 am

Dasavathar wrote:Hi Raxs,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I pay tax for both my car lump sum and the mileage I claim.
Maybe this is for an accountant but I don't get the point, these are supposed to be rechargeable expenses.
Give me more Karma (+)

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:37 am

Dasavathar wrote:Hi Raxs,

There you go. You are okay to consider them towards your earnings than. Without wanting to question your intelligence, just double check you do pay taxes on them as you said. Reason I say that is, in my case(meaning Salary slip) I have:
Basic Pay - £xxxxx
Health Premium - £90.00
Gross - £xx90.00

However my taxable income is only £xxxx and not £xx90. Usually all non-taxable incomes are somehow highlighted on payslip.

Good Luck
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:58 am

I have just read through this for you. You might want this to reassure you somewhat more: This Guidance Notes on page 18, point 101

Dasavathar

Post by Dasavathar » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:38 pm

Hi Raxs,

Thanks for reassuring