ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cobra

Spouse visa

Post by cobra » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:30 pm

On behalf of my British friend. He has a permanent job, but cannot afford to pay his rent in London. He want to ask his local housing Benefit for help to contribute toward his rent at least 50% every month.

Here is my question:
Getting 50% help from Housing Benefit will affect his wife spouse visa?

Humanity

Re: Spouse visa

Post by Humanity » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:54 pm

I don't think there is any such benefit that contribute 50% towards your housing while on permanent employment. Not a benefit expert ,all he might be entitled to is working tax credit and child tax credit council tax etc ... ( if he has children) which I don't believe should have any significant on the spouse visa. Obviously if he can not afford to pay the house rent, the Home Office will ask where he intends to put his wife ? There is a base salary you need to be earning to qualify for such visa ....

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi

According to my knowledge Housing Benefit is calculated n slightly different terms as compared to Income Support.

If you are earning less then say £368 (this amount is usually different for each borough) then you might get some help through Housing Benefit and Council Tax. So even if you are a permanent employee if you are earning less then you might qualify for for these benefits. Only your local council can give you an idea how much can you get (or try DirectGov website to get an estimate). Since your friend is a UK citizen he/she has the right to apply for these benefits if they qualify.

Okay now the part of Spouse VISA, in order to show the ECO that you have the financial backing to support your wife when she comes here. You will need to make sure that you are not in receipt of benefits because this would mean you cannot independently support yourself. Thus you may not be able to support your partner fully either.

I am not sure if this will be looked up by the ECO in your favour.
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

cobra

Post by cobra » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Humanity & harv, thank you for your advise. I`ve got a clue about what you are saying.

proxybilli
Newly Registered

Post by proxybilli » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:39 am

ans- yes it will.
281.(iv) there will be adequate accommodation for the parties and any dependants without recourse to public funds in accommodation which they own or occupy exclusively.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... _partners/