ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Earnings - superannuation and exchange rate questions

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sentient
Newly Registered

Earnings - superannuation and exchange rate questions

Post by sentient » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:18 am

Hi all,

I'm planning on applying in a month's time for HSMP and getting all my documents together. I'm under 28 and currently living in Australia. My income in the past 12 months will have added up to approximately A$70,000 which is just a little over 27,000 pounds at the current exchange rate.

Given the fluctuation of the A$, I thought it might be possible to use the exchange rate at the time I was paid to convert to the equivalent in GBP. So, my January salary would be calculated at an A$1=.41 pounds, against A$1 = .38 pounds for my July salary. Has anybody tried this? Do they accept this?

Can I include superannuation in my earnings? I've read elsewhere on this forum that they don't accept deferred earnings but that seems a bit unfair, given that the cumpulsory 9% employer contributed superannuation is part of my 'pay package' - I just can't touch it till I turn 65 (in the long run I'd have thought the UK would be better off with people who can provide for their own retirement). I emailed the HSMP office and got a response saying that if it's part of my gross earnings I can include it, but that doesn't go one way or the other. It's not taxable income if that's what they mean, but it's still earned income. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I can reach the 27,000 without superannuation, but I'd like my application to be immune to exchange rate fluctuations.

For the record, my points calculations are:

15 for education (BA Computer Science)
25 for 2 years graduate level work exp (have 3.5 years)
25 for earnings (over 27000 in the last 12 months)
5 for being 27 yrs old.

Thanks for your time.

raoms
Member of Standing

hi

Post by raoms » Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:20 am

you can write them a covering letter stating the exchange rate on the date of application. They consider backdated exchange rate.

raj

Post by raj » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:23 pm

Please anyone respond on superannuation part.

regds
Raj
no matter how thin u slice the cheese, it still has two sides....let's now try to view my from side....
------------------------RAJ------------------------------

afzalasm

Post by afzalasm » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:15 am

Raj,

As far as my understandings, Superannuation is not a part of your earning. Your salary is what you earned (from job or business) that includes all allowances, bonuses and special pay which is taxable to your country Tax dept.

I wonder if they consider the pension a part of it.
Regards,
Afzal