ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Elderly Parents Settlement

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

blueskyes
Newly Registered

Elderly Parents Settlement

Post by blueskyes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:41 am

Hello everyone

If possible can any one please advise if my parents have a good chance of obtaining settlement visa from India as elderly dependants.

My father is 75 and my mother will be 65 in April 2010, I wish to apply before the fees go up.
My self and my brother are both settled in the UK. my brother is a UK citizen and I have ILR. My parents do not have any other children and live together in Mumbai, India. They both have siblings but they all live in other states of India and are not in close touch, due to their own family and work commitments.
My father owns the flat in which my parents live and he has a pension, but that isnt enough for the living cost, hence me and my brother both send money every month and we have the receipts to prove it.

My brother is self employed and I am in full time employment. We both own our houses and I will be the main sponsor as I am single and have no dependents. Hence accomodation and access to public fund should not be an issue as I will sign the sponsor declaration form. My income is almost 48K annual. And my house is a three bedroom bungalow specifically bought with keeping my parents in mind.

My only concern is that my father has a pension, but we can prove that it is not sufficent and we have proof of money sent by me and my brother.

Are there any chances they will be approved?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:42 pm

It is worth a try in your case in view of your parents age and the fact that you support them regularly by way of sending money to them as well as the fact they dont have any other close relatives to turn to.

However I must warn you that this type of visa is the most hardest to get as your parents need to be living in very "exceptional circumstances ".

There is no clear definition for the meaning of this word, as it varies in different peoples circumstances.

Reading what you have stated about your parents, I think your chances are 50/50

hmm

Post by hmm » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:33 pm

They don't need to show that they 'live alone in most exceptional circumtances' as your father is over 65.
You'll have to show that they mainly financially depends on you. i.e their pension is not enough and the payment from the sponsor are essential to help the applicant achieve a reasonable life style.
Here is the paragraph from the UKBA website about the relatives help, etc.
"If there is a relative in the applicant's own country who is able and willing to support him, then it would not be unreasonable to expect him to turn to that relative for support, even if the sponsor in the United Kingdom is financially in a better position to do so. Close relatives may be sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, grandchildren, uncles, aunts, and possibly nephews, nieces, or in-laws. However it should be noted that this will largely depend on their culture. For example, in the Indian sub-continent, married women are unlikely to be able to provide support.
Alternatively if there are several close relatives there is no reason why it
cannot be a collective ability among them to support the applicant.

Applications from married couples should not be refused solely on the basis that they have each other to turn to. Account should be taken of the age and health of the applicants as well as the ability of other relatives to visit them regularly;"

Also needs to show why your parents cannot turn to their relatives for help and support.

Just remember there will be lots of people applying for this kind of visa before the visa fee goes up in April so expect higher refusal rate.

blueskyes
Newly Registered

Post by blueskyes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:45 pm

Thanks guys for your prompt responses.

I am aware that the home office want to discourage such applications which is why they are tripling the fees. Well we can only prepare the best case possible and hope for a favourable outcome.

Well my parents siblings simply are not in a position to offer support either financially or emotionally since they have their own commitments. Not sure how we can prove that, but i think the onus is on the ECO to make visits and gather evidence if they want to refuse on those grounds.

Please keep the comments and feedback coming.

Cheers

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:51 pm

blueskyes wrote:Well my parents siblings simply are not in a position to offer support either financially or emotionally since they have their own commitments. Not sure how we can prove that, but i think the onus is on the ECO to make visits and gather evidence if they want to refuse on those grounds.
I disagree, the ECO will make his judgement in line with policy and what he sees in front of him, it's up to you to make your case watertight.

In these cases the HO holds all the aces.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

hmm

Post by hmm » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Wanderer wrote:
blueskyes wrote:Well my parents siblings simply are not in a position to offer support either financially or emotionally since they have their own commitments. Not sure how we can prove that, but i think the onus is on the ECO to make visits and gather evidence if they want to refuse on those grounds.
I disagree, the ECO will make his judgement in line with policy and what he sees in front of him, it's up to you to make your case watertight.

It is up to you to provide the evidence and convince ECO. The ECO makes the decision based on the documents you submit, interview in some cases.
you can mention the age, health of the relatives, the commitments they have (their family life, work, etc), distance they live from your parents, time taken to travel to your parents and why can't your parents visit them or even live close to their relatives. Your commitments here and you can't you visit them regularly, etc

immigrationuk2009
BANNED

Post by immigrationuk2009 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:34 pm

hmm wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

It is up to you to provide the evidence and convince ECO. The ECO makes the decision based on the documents you submit, interview in some cases.
you can mention the age, health of the relatives, the commitments they have (their family life, work, etc), distance they live from your parents, time taken to travel to your parents and why can't your parents visit them or even live close to their relatives. Your commitments here and you can't you visit them regularly, etc
Due to age and all other factors I belive you have a very chancne .Good chance

UK_Banned_Member
Please always seek legal advise from OSIC consultant or immigration solicitor.These are my personal views gain through experience or study.

UK_Banned_Member

vito0514

Post by vito0514 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:29 am

See Older dependent relatives

hmm wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

Last edited by vito0514 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

immigrationuk2009
BANNED

Post by immigrationuk2009 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:39 pm

vito0514 wrote:
hmm wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

Chapter 15 - Entry for settlement: parents, grandparents, other dependant relatives (http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... members#Q4):
If you are a widowed parent or grandparent aged 65 or over, or parents or grandparents travelling together and one of you is 65 or over, you may qualify if:
- you are completely or mainly financially dependent on children or grandchildren living and settled in the UK
- you have no other close relatives in your own country to help you
- your children or grandchildren can support you without needing help from public funds, and
- your children or grandchildren have enough accommodation, which they alone own or live in, where you can live without needing any help from public funds.

Immigration directorate instructions:

Chapter 8 - Family members: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... schapter8/

Section 6 - Dependant relatives: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
[...]
3. LEAVE TO REMAIN AS A DEPENDENT RELATIVE OF A PERSON PRESENT AND SETTLEMENT

The requirements to be met by a person seeking to remain in the United Kingdom in this capacity are set out in Paragraph 318 of HC 395 and must be referred to when reading the following advice.
3.1. Key points
Caseworkers must satisfy themselves that the applicant:
- is related to a person who is present and settled in the United Kingdom in one of the following ways:
- - mother or grandmother who is a widow aged 65 years or over
- - father or grandfather who is a widower aged 65 years or over
- - a parent or grandparent under the age of 65 living alone in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances and mainly dependent financially on relatives settled in the United Kingdom
- - the son, daughter, sister, brother, aunt or uncle over the age of 18 if living alone in the most exceptional circumstances and mainly dependent financially on relatives settled in the United Kingdom;
- is financially mainly dependent on the relative maintained and accommodated present and settled in the United Kingdom;
- has no other relatives in his own country to whom he could turn for financial support.
- can, and will be maintained and accommodated with any dependants without recourse to public funds;

3.2. Further guidance
Where the applicant is over the age of 65 detailed enquiries will not be necessary. However the sponsor should still be requested to complete a RON 112 (sponsorship declaration form).

Annex V - Parents and grandparents:http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
[...]
2. CONSIDERATION OF APPLICATIONS

An applicant must demonstrate that he:

is financially dependent upon the relative who is present and settled in the United Kingdom. Evidence should be obtained of money remitted to the applicant by the sponsor, and of any other support the sponsor may provide. The evidence should normally be in the form of international money orders or a letter from the bank confirming that money is transferred on a regular basis. Other support may be a house provided by the sponsor or rent from land or property owned by him. This should be compared with any other financial support available to the applicant from other sources, including money given to them by other relatives not in the United Kingdom and any income received from land, property or a pension. Consideration should then be given as to whether or not the payments from the sponsor are essential to help the applicant achieve a reasonable life style;
Note: Joint sponsorship is not allowed (see Chapter 8 Section 8 paragraph 3.2.)

has no other close relatives to turn to in his own country. If there is a relative in the applicant's own country who is able and willing to support him, then it would not be unreasonable to expect him to turn to that relative for support, even if the sponsor in the United Kingdom is financially in a better position to do so.
Close relatives may be sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, grandchildren, uncles, aunts, and possibly nephews, nieces, or in-laws. Alternatively if there are several close relatives there is no reason why it cannot be a collective ability among them to support the applicant.

Although the onus is on the applicant to demonstrate that he has no close relative to turn to any refusal on that basis should be backed up with sound evidence that this is not the case. On occasions it may be necessary to make local enquiries (see ANNEX X - "Village visits").
Account should be taken of the age and health of the applicants as well as the ability of other relatives to visit them regularly;

will be maintained and accommodated together with any dependants by the sponsor without recourse to public funds. The sponsor must have the means to maintain and accommodate the applicant and he should be requested to complete the sponsorship declaration attached to application form SET (F). The DSS can then take action to claim back any benefits which may be claimed by the applicant from the sponsor;

Chapter 15 - Entry for settlement: parents, grandparents, other dependant relatives (http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... members#Q4):
[...]
If you are a parent or grandparent under the age of 65, you may qualify if:

- you are living in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances
- you are completely or mainly financially dependent on children or grandchildren living and settled in the UK
- you have no other close relatives in your own country to help you
- your children or grandchildren can support you without needing help from public funds, and
- your children or grandchildren have enough accommodation, which they alone own or live in, where you can live without needing any help from public funds.

Annex V - Parents and grandparents: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
[...]
in the case of a parent or grandparent under the age of 65 that he is living alone in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances. Each application must be considered on the individual merits of the case, it is therefore not possible to list every possible circumstance which may arise, however, illness, incapacity, isolation and poverty are of all compassionate circumstances which should be considered.

Annex W - Other relatives: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
[...]
2. REQUIREMENTS OF THE RULES

Other relatives who wish to join a relative in the United Kingdom must not only satisfy each of the requirements of Paragraph 317, they must also demonstrate that they are living alone in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances. Therefore such applications will have to be decided on the individual merits of the case. As the majority of such applications will be from persons who are over the age of 18, but not necessarily old and frail, the compassionate circumstances will need to be very strong. The circumstances will have to be such that the applicant cannot function (either because of illness or disability) without the help and support of friends or relatives and that no such help or support is available to them in the country where they are living.

@Vito0514

Very impressive.

Very informative and detail answer..

You are a star.Keep up your good work.

UK_Banned_Member
Please always seek legal advise from OSIC consultant or immigration solicitor.These are my personal views gain through experience or study.

UK_Banned_Member

Guy_mk
Newly Registered

Post by Guy_mk » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:15 pm

Well, from my experience all I could say is that ECO's job to stop/reduce immigration, so he/she will try their best to come up with an excuse to refuse. They only read/listen to what they "WANT TO", rest is ignored.

We need to keep fighting despite the time scale and the cost.

My advice is wait till your mother is 65---Rule
Do you really want to go through the hassal ? Give your elderly parents grief and make yourself suffer ?
Why don't you just bring them here on a holiday, return for 2-3 months then come back again. Although visa is NOT guarnteed everytime, but chances are high.

Elderly means nothing in a sympathic way to the immigration, they see as these people are going to need NHS help as they get old, so the pressure is on the Govt. There are enough old people in the country as it is.

ECO's have many excuses to stop. Explaining them your point is like talking to a "brick wall".

veiledbeauty20
Newly Registered

Immigration for family members

Post by veiledbeauty20 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:34 am

Hi everyone, as soon as I saw this forum I kind of got excited because I was searching through google and couldn't find an answer to my problem.

The thing is I've been married just a year ago and my in-laws came twice, once last year and once this year. The first time they stayed for 3 months and the second time round a month.

The thing is my husband wants his parents to come here and stay permanent. Since he only has 1 brother who is also in the UK and he stays with us and he is currently doing work placement program which ends on july and he has til next year until his visa expires.

My husband just recently changed his name since his name was too long and the new name is completely different and doesn't contain his father's surname and I was wondering will it affect whilst applying.

Also his mum is 61 and his dad is 65.

Also his dad apparently has a business in Sri lanka and his mum is on pension. His dad is planning on selling the shop and wants to help out his son in the Uk, they have came here 3 times now. They came the first time because of my husband, but the other 2 times his brother sent some relevant documents of his work placement. So yeah I don't mind them coming every year or something but I don't like the idea of them staying here permanently, I've been only married a year and wanna enjoy and not have a huge responsibilty put on my shoulder. I'm 20 and my husband is 25. Someone please help me out. I've kind of explained everything sp yeah hopefully I can get a response. I kinda don't get along with my mother in law since she's so posessive over her son, whatever I do she tries to compete with me, in terms if cooking etc. I only like my father in law coz he treats me like his daughter and overall he isn't talkative and possesive like my mother in law.

Someone please help me out?? I'm eagerly waiting for an answer.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Immigration for family members

Post by Greenie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:39 am

veiledbeauty20 wrote:Hi everyone, as soon as I saw this forum I kind of got excited because I was searching through google and couldn't find an answer to my problem.

The thing is I've been married just a year ago and my in-laws came twice, once last year and once this year. The first time they stayed for 3 months and the second time round a month.

The thing is my husband wants his parents to come here and stay permanent. Since he only has 1 brother who is also in the UK and he stays with us and he is currently doing work placement program which ends on july and he has til next year until his visa expires.

My husband just recently changed his name since his name was too long and the new name is completely different and doesn't contain his father's surname and I was wondering will it affect whilst applying.

Also his mum is 61 and his dad is 65.

Also his dad apparently has a business in Sri lanka and his mum is on pension. His dad is planning on selling the shop and wants to help out his son in the Uk, they have came here 3 times now. They came the first time because of my husband, but the other 2 times his brother sent some relevant documents of his work placement. So yeah I don't mind them coming every year or something but I don't like the idea of them staying here permanently, I've been only married a year and wanna enjoy and not have a huge responsibilty put on my shoulder. I'm 20 and my husband is 25. Someone please help me out. I've kind of explained everything sp yeah hopefully I can get a response. I kinda don't get along with my mother in law since she's so posessive over her son, whatever I do she tries to compete with me, in terms if cooking etc. I only like my father in law coz he treats me like his daughter and overall he isn't talkative and possesive like my mother in law.

Someone please help me out?? I'm eagerly waiting for an answer.
what is your immigration status and that of your husband?

Are your husband's parents financially dependent on him - it doesn't sound like they are if he has his own business?

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:49 pm

You are in a hard position , one many young women face having to have in laws impose on you . From what you have said sounds unlikely your parents in law would qualify to stay in the UK . Not clear why your brother in law can stay in the UK past his work placement? If he returns to his country he should be able to support them , but it does not sound like they need supporting ,sounds like they just want to come and live with you .
pennyless

veiledbeauty20
Newly Registered

RE:Immigratiob for family members

Post by veiledbeauty20 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:32 pm

@Greenie well me and my husband are both british citizens.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: RE:Immigratiob for family members

Post by Greenie » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:47 pm

veiledbeauty20 wrote:@Greenie well me and my husband are both british citizens.
and what about my other question - are his parents financially dependent on him?