ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IELTS Academic / General

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ashwin2005

IELTS Academic / General

Post by Ashwin2005 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:21 pm

As both Academic and General IELTS are acceptable for HSMP extension, which one might be more appropriate?
I feel IELTS General would be appropriate. Any thoughts?

vbellino

Post by vbellino » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:56 pm

Hi,

While I was studying for IELTS, I was told that the General is quite easier. In fact, as far as I remember, the listening, speaking and reading are the same, the only difference is for writing. The writing consists of two compositions, the second is similar for both Academic and General, but the first one for Academic is usually a business letter (a complaint letter, for instance) whereas in the Academic you have to analyze a chart, a research result report, or other document that would require more academic vocabulary and expressions to be explained.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

V.

Ashwin2005

Post by Ashwin2005 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:32 am

Thanks for the information Vbellino. This is helpful.

rely

Re: IELTS Academic / General

Post by rely » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:10 am

Ashwin2005 wrote:As both Academic and General IELTS are acceptable for HSMP extension, which one might be more appropriate?
GENERAL.
rely

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:59 am

rely wrote:
Ashwin2005 wrote:As both Academic and General IELTS are acceptable for HSMP extension, which one might be more appropriate?
GENERAL.
rely
The above information provide by "rely" is not correct. In the guidance they do not indicate whether it is general IELTS or Academic IELTS. So I fully believe both are valid. But of course if you have not had IELTS and planning to do so for immigration purposes in the future it is better to take general IELTS because.
- Academic IELTS is primarily intended for study
- General IELTS is easier than academic IELTS

But you want to use your IELTS for boths tudy and immigration thna better to go fot academic IELTS.

Pantaiema
Last edited by pantaiema on Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ajilani

Post by ajilani » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:15 pm

Some of the above information are incorrect regarding IELTS General and Academic Modules. I took my IELTS (General) 2 months ago and would like to inform all that only listening and speaking sections are same in both modules, reading and writing are different to each other.

-Azher

vbellino

Post by vbellino » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:18 pm

Hi Pantaiema,

Yes, both are accepted by HSMP. I only explained the differences I remember when I took my General IELTS. In fact both are quite simililar. I just checked the exact differences:

Listening - The same for both.

Speaking - The same for both.

Reading - 3 long texts for both, but content focus is different:
For academic texts are more focused in Academic vocalurary and expressions, whereas for General texts are more focused in social environment and work related vocabulary.

Writing: - 2 Tasks for both, again focus is different. As I wrote before, the second composition is similar but the first one for Academic is usually to analize a chart, research report, etc, whereas for General it is usually a business letter.

Therefore, both have the amount of tasks and the same time to be done, the difference is in the content focus only.

Thanks,

V.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:36 pm

Dear ajilani

I understand this is a matter of perception and this my personal peception having done both of the test.

What make Academic IELTS more difficult than general (at least in my opinion) is that.
- In reading: They provide a very long test compared to general which sometimes tehy only ask you where to find supermarket ,etc.
- In writng the second part is similar, they ask you to write an argument, but thefirst part they ask you to describe a graphics, diagram ets which for some people if they do n ot get used to could be a problem. In my personsal ecperience writing letter is easier than describe a diagram, chart, process, etc.

Pantaiema

ajilani wrote:Some of the above information are incorrect regarding IELTS General and Academic Modules. I took my IELTS (General) 2 months ago and would like to inform all that only listening and speaking sections are same in both modules, reading and writing are different to each other.

-Azher

rely

Post by rely » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:05 am

pantaiema wrote:
rely wrote:
GENERAL.
rely
The above information provide by "rely" is not correct. In the guidance they do not indicate whether it is general IELTS or Academic IELTS. So I fully believe both are valid. But of course if you have not had IELTS and planning to do so for immigration purposes in the future it is better to take general IELTS because.
- Academic IELTS is primarily intended for study
- General IELTS is easier than academic IELTS

But you want to use your IELTS for boths tudy and immigration thna better to go fot academic IELTS.

Pantaiema
Information provided by me is correct.Here we are discussing HSMP and NOT student visa.In this case it is GENERAL and NOT academic.So go for general which is easier than academic.
rely.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

General IELTS is much easier than Academic for sure

Post by pantaiema » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:11 pm

Dear All (Especially Ajilani & Vbellino)

Have a look on this

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=12275

You will see that most people confirm that GEneral IELTS is easier than Academic.

Pantaiema

ajilani wrote:Some of the above information are incorrect regarding IELTS General and Academic Modules. I took my IELTS (General) 2 months ago and would like to inform all that only listening and speaking sections are same in both modules, reading and writing are different to each other.

-Azher