ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual Nationality-British/Malaysian

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

orangkl
Newly Registered

Dual Nationality-British/Malaysian

Post by orangkl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi,
Anyone please help !!
We are Malaysian PR and our kids have two UK and Malaysia passport, now problem occur when we want to renew their passport, London Hi Comm need ROA status or long term status , unfortunately UKBA will not issue any for them .
what can we do??

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:09 pm

As far as I know, Malaysia doesn't allow dual nationality. That is why the consulate is asking to prove the children are not British citizen which you can't because they are...

I'm not familiar with Malaysian nationality law but it is likely they lost their Malaysian nationality when they became British.

Post by 2012 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:28 pm

As far as l kno malaysia does not allow dual nationality as one of our family friend walos in similiar situation and consulate informed him that all the children hav lost the right for a malaysian passport due to british buy thr father didnt as he has ilr only.

vignette

Post by vignette » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Malaysia does not recognise dual nationality. If the authorities become aware that an adult holds a passport for another country they will deem them to have given up their Malaysian nationality and will retain their passport and refuse to issue another.

However, I am not sure whether this is quite so clear cut for children under 18, I think that the Malaysian authorities may consider that minors are not responsible for their parents decisions and would enable them to regain their Malaysian nationality if they wished to when they were adults. Maybe you could find a way to check this out back in Malaysia i.e. not involving the High Comm in London?

The Malaysian authorities are also concerned to deter their nationals from overstaying or otherwise breaching the conditions of their leave in the UK. If the children entered the UK on their British passports there will be no entry stamp in their Malaysian passports ; if they entered on their Malaysian passports then they would have been given 6 months as visitors and therefore appear to have overstayed.

If the children hold current, valid British passports they cannot be issued with a ROA certificate in their Malaysian passports as well.

I think that you could ask the authorities to cancel their current British passports and then apply for ROA to be entered in their Malaysian passports with evidence that the British passports have been cancelled; but you might want to check first that this would be acceptable.

This would enable them to retain their Malaysian passports and have evidence of valid residence in the UK but it would have implications for travel in Europe since they would need to meet the requirements for Malaysian visitors rather than UK ones.