ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Responsibilities on COS

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

koolguykvs

Responsibilities on COS

Post by koolguykvs » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:01 am

Hi All,
I have applied for Tier 2 visa switching from PSW. I am awaiting reply. On the COS my HR has put the code as programmer and responsibilities just two lines. Now i am worried about how eloborate these responsibilities have to be. Should they be very detailed. In my case HR just copy pasted what was on SOC list and added a couple of lines for that. Will this be fine. Please give me a reply. Thanks :(

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:49 am

On the CoS the two relevant items are:

Job type- this should be the SOC code + the name of the occupation as in SOC under the code number given, in your case 2132 Software Professionals

Job description: - this is a description of what you actually do and can be any one of: Analyst programmer, Computer programmer, Software engineer, Systems analyst, Systems designer. In your case it should be Computer programmer.

A further elaboration should be taken from the following which can be supplemented by more detail.

 examines existing software and
determines requirements for
new/modified systems through
consultation with clients and staff
 undertakes feasibility studies of
software solutions through
specifying and costing functional
details, equipment, staffing and
operational procedures
 investigates, plans, designs and
develops software solutions
within stated constraints
 installs, implements and
maintains the reliability and
security of software systems as
business functions
 writes operational documentation
and provides subsequent support
and training for users

If when assigning your CoS HR proceeded as above then you should have no problems on this account.

koolguykvs

Post by koolguykvs » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:10 pm

manci wrote:On the CoS the two relevant items are:

Job type- this should be the SOC code + the name of the occupation as in SOC under the code number given, in your case 2132 Software Professionals

Job description: - this is a description of what you actually do and can be any one of: Analyst programmer, Computer programmer, Software engineer, Systems analyst, Systems designer. In your case it should be Computer programmer.

A further elaboration should be taken from the following which can be supplemented by more detail.

 examines existing software and
determines requirements for
new/modified systems through
consultation with clients and staff
 undertakes feasibility studies of
software solutions through
specifying and costing functional
details, equipment, staffing and
operational procedures
 investigates, plans, designs and
develops software solutions
within stated constraints
 installs, implements and
maintains the reliability and
security of software systems as
business functions
 writes operational documentation
and provides subsequent support
and training for users

If when assigning your CoS HR proceeded as above then you should have no problems on this account.
hmmm.... after your explanation i am bit worried manci.

As far as what i remember HR has done the following:

Job Code : 2132

Role : Programmer

Salary : 26000

Responsibilities :

- Responsible for the detailed programming and testing of
individual programmes or routines within an overall project

- In addition to the above he just mentioned a couple of points concerned to my role.

Now i am worried about this. Will this be considered as case for making the application invalid or something. I am really worried now after doing my bio-metrics. Please give your opinion guys. :shock:

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:20 pm

You are worrying unnecessarily. The words HR used are exactly what is here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Programmer
Responsible for thye detailed programming and testing of individual progremmes or routines within an overall project - min. salary £26k

koolguykvs

Post by koolguykvs » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:25 pm

manci wrote:You are worrying unnecessarily. The words HR used are exactly what is here:

Programmer
Responsible for thye detailed programming and testing of individual progremmes or routines within an overall project - min. salary £26k
i got it manci.... i didnt say he did completely wrong. but i was worried about the way we need to put the responsibilities on COS. As i mentioned the way you have put up and what we did was completely different.

I just wanted to know whether what we did is sufficient. Am just double checking.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:26 pm

You have not posted the full job description that has been put on the COS so it would be difficult to comment further.

Look at:

koolguykvs

Post by koolguykvs » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:28 pm

manci wrote:You have not posted the full job description that has been put on the COS so it would be difficult to comment further.

Look at:
Ok manci..... my question is simple. How detailed should the responsibilities on the COS should be. Is there any guideline for this on the number of lines and content we should enter as part of responsibilities.

Will it be sufficient if HR just copy pastes the responsibility from the given pdf respectively or it should be extended???