ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ways to get a status update on the phone

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shhh
Newly Registered

Ways to get a status update on the phone

Post by shhh » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:16 am

Hi --

I have travel plans to see my grandmother who is ill and a friend who is hospitalised next week. I don't have my documents/visa yet, though I've completed my biometrics for my FLR(M). Is there a way to ask the UKBA help line people to give you a status update if your case is under six months? Sometimes I'll speak to someone who will take my reference number, but most times they won't.

Does anyone have any tips or things to say that will help get a status update?

Thank you!

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:35 pm

My impression is that the people you talk to on the phone don't necessarily have access to detailed information about your visa status - they might be able to see if it had been processed and was on its way to you, but if it's sitting with a case worker they won't be able to tell you how much longer it will be. Also, if they made a habit of giving out useful information, everyone would be calling them.

I don't mean to sound sceptical but be aware that a lot of people have tried telling UKBA that they have sick relatives in an attempt to expedite their visa application. It doesn't work. You have previously posted about needing your papers back for other reasons. It's massively frustrating but sometimes you just have to wait.

shhh
Newly Registered

Post by shhh » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:33 pm

anniecc wrote:My impression is that the people you talk to on the phone don't necessarily have access to detailed information about your visa status - they might be able to see if it had been processed and was on its way to you, but if it's sitting with a case worker they won't be able to tell you how much longer it will be. Also, if they made a habit of giving out useful information, everyone would be calling them.
Thanks for your response! I have quite a few reasons for needing my passport back, as we all do!