ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration Research

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

UnivResearcher
Newly Registered

Immigration Research

Post by UnivResearcher » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:37 pm

Hello! I am a graduate student writing a thesis on immigration in the EU, specifically France and UK. I am looking for potential subjects for a short interview/survey on their experience in attempting (whether successfully or not) to immigrate to the UK. Would you be so kind as to participate? All information gathered will be confidential and anonymous and used solely for academic purposes. With my thesis, I hope to I make a contribution to the academic literature concerning immigration. As a daughter of two immigrants, I appreciate the fact the stories of the people are unique and often complicated. I maintain that the "immigrants' voices" are what is missing in policymaking concerning immigration.

I would be so grateful for any contributions you could make - whether you yourself are willing to participate or know of someone who would be willing to share their experience. Please feel free to PM me on this site!

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Jennifer
Last edited by UnivResearcher on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:48 pm

so how do we do this then ?!?
Manka

UnivResearcher
Newly Registered

Followup

Post by UnivResearcher » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:52 pm

Whoops, sorry about that!
please contact me via PM on this site and then I can give you my contact details!
Thanks again!!!!

manojk005

Re: Immigration Research

Post by manojk005 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:57 pm

UnivResearcher wrote:Hello! I am a graduate student writing a thesis on immigration in the EU, specifically France and UK. I am looking for potential subjects for a short interview/survey on their experience in attempting (whether successfully or not) to immigrate to the UK. Would you be so kind as to participate? All information gathered will be confidential and anonymous and used solely for academic purposes. With my thesis, I hope to I make a contribution to the academic literature concerning immigration. As a daughter of two immigrants, I appreciate the fact the stories of the people are unique and often complicated. I maintain that the "immigrants' voices" are what is missing in policymaking concerning immigration.

I would be so grateful for any contributions you could make - whether you yourself are willing to participate or know of someone who would be willing to share their experience.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Jennifer
As an ex-researcher, I appreciate your efforts in research on this topic. I hope that your report will be unbiased and very different from any reports produced by government who always try to blame immigrants for all problems.

It would be good if you can provide where you are based and in which university you are studying. I am sure that many people will appreciate your efforts and contribute to your study. I am glad that you made effort to find this board and reach a lot of people. I would advise you to provide more credential like your course name and affiliation. I would be more than happy to assist provided I know your credentials.

UnivResearcher
Newly Registered

Post by UnivResearcher » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:04 pm

THanks for your feedback. I would be happy to discuss my research with you. Please contact me via PM if you would like.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:07 pm

this is a public forum - but you are asking for people to contact you privately. How can people know they are contacting a genuine researcher unless you at least tell them at which university you are studying?

UnivResearcher
Newly Registered

Post by UnivResearcher » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Thanks for your comment. I have never tried this approach before, so I appreciate the suggestions. I am currently attending American Graduate School in Paris. I did not want to give so many details out in the forum but if people were interested in participating, please do give me a shout - i would rather not publish my email address in a public forum because it includes my full name. I am sure you could understand that as reasonable!

Thanks again for the suggestions!!!!

silent_warrior
Member of Standing

Post by silent_warrior » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:15 pm

Sorry for being naive, but dont you need the moderators/administrators permission to host something like that?

UnivResearcher
Newly Registered

Post by UnivResearcher » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:24 pm

To post my request for sharing experiences? Or to post my email?

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:27 pm

silent_warrior wrote:Sorry for being naive, but dont you need the moderators/administrators permission to host something like that?
As long as its not commercial, its orite I guess
Manka

manojk005

Post by manojk005 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:40 pm

UnivResearcher wrote:Thanks for your comment. I have never tried this approach before, so I appreciate the suggestions. I am currently attending American Graduate School in Paris. I did not want to give so many details out in the forum but if people were interested in participating, please do give me a shout - i would rather not publish my email address in a public forum because it includes my full name. I am sure you could understand that as reasonable!

Thanks again for the suggestions!!!!
My suggestion would be to prepare a questionnaire (I am sure you have), upload to a website of your graduate school and post link here. Try to make sure that you do not ask people to write too much. If you wish you can ask for it but leave it to individual to provide any detailed information. In this way, you will be able to protect privacy as well get information you need. However, publishing name should not be any problem but giving e-mail ID may be an issue as different people think in different way. You should be able to design your website pretty quickly and way to collect and save gathered information. I am sure that you may find some free website where you can design questionnaire and way to collect information. Designing website and hosting it on your school site should be also easy to do. I am sure this will make your thesis strong.
Last edited by manojk005 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnivResearcher
Newly Registered

Post by UnivResearcher » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:43 pm

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. My method is interview and not really survey. Again, anyone that is willing to forgo the chance I am anything other than a graduate student making a last ditch effort to find participants to finish this thesis monster, please do get in touch with me!

Thanks again!

PSW WORRIES

re

Post by PSW WORRIES » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:40 am

UnivResearcher wrote:Thank you for your helpful suggestions. My method is interview and not really survey. Again, anyone that is willing to forgo the chance I am anything other than a graduate student making a last ditch effort to find participants to finish this thesis monster, please do get in touch with me!

Thanks again!
Willing to participate, but i cannot give out my private email add.

UnivResearcher
Newly Registered

Post by UnivResearcher » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Thank you again for your willingness to participate. I had sent you at PM but wasn't sure if you had received it.

Sincerely appreciate it!!!

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:51 pm

UnivResearcher wrote:Thank you again for your willingness to participate. I had sent you at PM but wasn't sure if you had received it.

Sincerely appreciate it!!!
Will your research have 'abusive language used towards UKBA' section? If yes, I would like to contribute.
Give me more Karma (+)

UnivResearcher
Newly Registered

Post by UnivResearcher » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:58 pm

Thank you for your response. I am gathering the experiences of all immigrants to the UK who are willing to share their stories. If this includes treatment by the UKBA, then of course it shall be included in my research.

If you are willing to participate, I would gladly listen - so please PM me if you would like.

Thanks again!

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:32 pm

I would actually want to write it in the forum. I don't do anything in private :lol:
Give me more Karma (+)

UnivResearcher
Newly Registered

Post by UnivResearcher » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:45 pm

OK, thank you for your interest. I have to keep with my methodology so I have to maintain the part where interviews are done "in private" so as to ensure the comfortability of the respondent as well as excluding (as much as I can) any possibility of the respondent being influenced. That being said, I cannot compile my research in a public posting forum knowing that the respondent's answers will be "broadcast" as it could be argued by the Academic Panel at my oral defense that the respondent gave information with the knowledge that it was "public" and could be viewed by other people (i.e. responses could be influenced by virtue of knowing it was going to be seen/or potentially seen by an audience.

I do thank you again for your response.

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Please add a unique fact about Uk immigration policy:

Uk immigration policy is the most unfair policy for immigrants that are already in the country under certain category. Uk is the only country that applies rules retrospectively to existing immigrants.

No other place in the world, be it USA, Canada, Newzealand or Australia applies rules retrospectively to immigrants that are already in the country under a specific category.

ukba once lost big time on high court because of this. Since then they add a line on application form saying rule can change any time. This is most ridiculous way of doing some illegal work legally!