ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 application status check - 6 months!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

NemesisDude
Newly Registered

Tier 1 application status check - 6 months!

Post by NemesisDude » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:10 am

Hello Board members,

I was wondering if anyone here feels sad about the fact that we cannot get any status (even automated) about our applications till 6 months.

I applied for extension and now waiting since 3 months with no idea what is going on. UKBA always increases the processing fees and other bits as and when they feel like but the service is still the same. Even the UKBA call center is a joke with unlimited wait time and a standard 'please do not call' here response. (That's how I feel about it anyhow)

They do mention that 75% of applications are decided within 1 month, but looking at the processing times posted on this forum, I do not think that's the case.

Is there any way to get the statistics regarding processing times of applications (say via freedom of information)? OR any forum/watchdog (they have a culture of watchdogs in this country) where we can take up this issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:14 am

That's a good idea but the question is, are you ready to take the initiative?
Give me more Karma (+)

NemesisDude
Newly Registered

Post by NemesisDude » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:19 am

QuickSam wrote:That's a good idea but the question is, are you ready to take the initiative?
Yes, if you can share what is best way forward. I do not think it will change much, but I am interested in knowing if the claim of 75% in 1 month is really true.

Also, why they do not have an automated system where we can at least see what stage the application is at? (Rather than 'I wait for royal mail' life)

chrischris

Post by chrischris » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:34 am

Is it possible to have a petition for this?

It is really sad that they have no automated online system with status updates. I would imagine that for UKBA it would reduce the the number of calls they get if they have such a service, and given that the government is trying to save money I'm surprised it is not something they have looked into.

I think something like this would definitely make the waiting a lot more bearable for us. Right now one can't get any feedback and one ends up feeling powerless and anxious all the time. One is constantly in a state of stress, it sometimes feels like one is being tortured.

This is unfair. For example, if one has applied too early, it would be nice to have some feedback saying that the application is too early rather than holding on to one's passport for 6 months.

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:38 am

There's nothing to loose here so maybe you could take the route of e-petition and post the link on the forum so that the members could sign the petition.

** I guess the result would be the same as the e-petition for fee rise :cry:
Give me more Karma (+)

NemesisDude
Newly Registered

Post by NemesisDude » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:52 pm

I am planning to send a request here:
=========================================
Requests under the FOI Act for information relating to the UK Border Agency's work should be sent to:

UK Border Agency
Freedom of Information Act Policy Team
11th Floor
Lunar House, Short Corridor
40 Wellesley Road
Croydon
CR9 2BY

Email: Freedom.Informationteam@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
Fax: 020 8196 3172

====================================

I would request number of applications made in last 6 months and time it took to process them. If the numbers do not add up to 75% within 1 month then I plan to ask for a update on website to reflect this reality.

Please let me know what you think?

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:11 pm

You can never be sure if 100% people are on this board and then how can you be sure that out of those uncertain 100% all the people will reply to your post.

I guess the best thing to ask for is a web based tracking system where you don't need to call and queue, just use your reference number/passport number/etc. to check the status of your application.
Give me more Karma (+)

shahjee11

Post by shahjee11 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:44 pm

Also dont just ask the total number of applications or they might include in person lot as well.

Only ask for the postal applications of Tier 1 G.

usman81

Post by usman81 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:18 am

Yes- e-petition is a good way going forward, but you can't just count on the number of regisrtartions on this forum, need much more than that!

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:52 am

I agree this is a good idea. The key issue I think is that we have no way of knowing whether our application is still being processed or if it was approved after a month and the documents were lost in the post. If we can check "processing still in progress" at least we know our documents are still with UKBA. If we can't get status for one month and then discover they were lost in the post, the 5 month delay means we are unlikely to be able to resolve the issue.

chrischris

Post by chrischris » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:24 pm

I don't know if writing an open letter to the MP in charge of UKBA is an alternative to doing an e-petition.

Something just occurred to me, is it possible to have a sticky topic with processing time lines for people whose applications have been with UKBA for at least 3 months? at least if we can gather the data it is possible that we find a common theme and help others in future prepare for the long wait.

timesofindia

Post by timesofindia » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:45 am

FOI request can be put here as well.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/ukba

Similar question already posted.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/t ... applicatio

ScopeD
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by ScopeD » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:18 am

chrischris wrote:I don't know if writing an open letter to the MP in charge of UKBA is an alternative to doing an e-petition.

Something just occurred to me, is it possible to have a sticky topic with processing time lines for people whose applications have been with UKBA for at least 3 months? at least if we can gather the data it is possible that we find a common theme and help others in future prepare for the long wait.
I agree with chrischris. I believe with an e-petition, you will need 100,000 signatures just to force a discussion on the issue in parliament. On the other hand, an open letter, with the issues clearly laid out, might capture the attention of some MPs.

sams1enigma

Post by sams1enigma » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:25 am

ScopeD wrote:
chrischris wrote:I don't know if writing an open letter to the MP in charge of UKBA is an alternative to doing an e-petition.

I agree with chrischris. I believe with an e-petition, you will need 100,000 signatures just to force a discussion on the issue in parliament. On the other hand, an open letter, with the issues clearly laid out, might capture the attention of some MPs.
We could just start by signing

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/29831

:)

chrischris

Post by chrischris » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:34 am

sams1enigma wrote:
ScopeD wrote:

I think these are two separate issues. Even if the fees petition is successful, we are still faced with this level of service - which is not the best.

and if the fees petition is not successful, we are going to have to pay more for the same crap service.

ScopeD
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by ScopeD » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:55 am

chrischris wrote:
sams1enigma wrote:
ScopeD wrote:

I think these are two separate issues. Even if the fees petition is successful, we are still faced with this level of service - which is not the best.

and if the fees petition is not successful, we are going to have to pay more for the same crap service.
Again, agreed. It is about SLA rather than fee increases.

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:11 pm

ScopeD wrote: Again, agreed. It is about SLA rather than fee increases.
I wouldn't worry too much about SLA. I am really concerned about the lack of information during the whole process. As already said, I would want to see an application tracking mechanism in place that gives applicants peace of mind.
Give me more Karma (+)

chrischris

Post by chrischris » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:09 pm

why now we draft a letter over the weekend, and everyone each prints out a copy and sends it to the MP concerned (Immigration minister) ?

it would be effective if we can get up to 500 people committed to doing this which should give it some traction.
Last edited by chrischris on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrischris

Post by chrischris » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:13 pm

if possible look at contacting the home affairs committee, they oversee UKBA.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... ttee/news/