ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My American girlfriend wants to come to the UK...

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Leonard Hatred
Newly Registered

My American girlfriend wants to come to the UK...

Post by Leonard Hatred » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:37 pm

I've been over there (Michigan) 3 times in the last year,she wants to come over in the summer.Is it possible to marry her when she's here and does that allow her to remain in the country indefinitely or will she have to go back and re-apply for a different visa or suchlike?
Sorry to ask such a blatantly ignorant question but this is literally the first enquiry I've made about this and I have no idea what the procedure is.

If she is allowed to stay can she get a work visa?

It is a genuine relationship and not a scam,before anyone asks.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:09 pm

She could apply for a fiance visa and then you can marry within 6 months . after marriage she applies for further leave to remain as your spouse and then she can work .
If she visits with the sole intention of marrying you she should apply for a visit visa - marriage . After marriage she returns to US and applies for a settlement visa as your spouse and she can work immediately .
pennyless

Leonard Hatred
Newly Registered

Post by Leonard Hatred » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:44 pm

Any idea what a fiancee visa would cost?

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:36 pm

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... d-cp/fees/#

£810 followed by the FLR(M) (further leave to remain) application once married to allow her to stay here - a further £550.

Leonard Hatred
Newly Registered

Post by Leonard Hatred » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:59 pm

FMOB that's a bit steep.
At the moment though she's not "officially" my fiancee...but it's a genuine relationship,it can be proved easily with photos,testimonies from friends etc...I assume this would be a straightforward case wouldn't it?

If she applies for a fiancee visa,explains she's my girlfriend,can provide evidence...

Nailed on innit?

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Providing you:

a) Have an active plan to marry within 6 months of her arrival (e.g. she needs to actually be your fiancee and you need to have started the process of getting organised)
b) Have sufficient funds/income to cover the period until you're married and have applied for FLR(M)
c) have sufficient accommodation for her
d) Intend to live together once married

Note: On a fiancee visa she cannot work here until she's switched to FLR(M).

Then yes - it should be straightforward.

Note that the alternative is to go to the marriage visitor visa (more like £80) ... she then flies back to the USA and applies for the spouse visa (just one £810 fee) and then flies back here again. She'll be able to work immediately on second arrival.

Final option - you go to the USA, marry there under their laws, then she applies for the spouse visa.

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:38 am

Hi

I am not sure whether this is correct.

I do not think that you can switch to FLR from Fiancee VISA. Once you are married on the Fiancee VISA you will need to go back to your country and apply for Spouse VISA there.

FLR is available to those who did not manage to complete full 2 years on Spouse VISA and require further time to complete this requirements before switching to ILR.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:30 am

Harv, you are wrong.

You cannot switch from marriage visit visa but the fiancé visa is meant for people who will apply for further leave to remain in the UK.
harv wrote:Hi

I am not sure whether this is correct.

I do not think that you can switch to FLR from Fiancee VISA. Once you are married on the Fiancee VISA you will need to go back to your country and apply for Spouse VISA there.

FLR is available to those who did not manage to complete full 2 years on Spouse VISA and require further time to complete this requirements before switching to ILR.

Correct me if I am wrong.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:32 am

If she's not your fiancee yet, don't apply for a fiancee visa. That's deceptive. If she's your girl friend and you just want to shack up for 6 months and see if it works, sorry that's not what the visa is for and there's no such visa.
I tell it like it is.

Leonard Hatred
Newly Registered

Post by Leonard Hatred » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:19 am

ElenaW wrote:If she's not your fiancee yet, don't apply for a fiancee visa. That's deceptive. If she's your girl friend and you just want to shack up for 6 months and see if it works, sorry that's not what the visa is for and there's no such visa.
Well,she IS my fiancee...there's nothing deceptive about it.
How do I prove that though?

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:34 am

You prove it by showing your plans to marry within the 6 month period she will be granted as your fiancee. You also need picture proof of you meeting. If you've been apart for longer than 3 months, you'll need to show you were communicating the whole time.

What I meant was, if you're not ready to marry, then don't apply for the fiance visa.
I tell it like it is.