ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Job applications after ILR status

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

What must a ILR holder choose to apply for Jobs?

UK/EU Citizen
75%
Work Permit
25%
Sponsership Required
No votes

Total votes: 4

dezialien
Newly Registered

Job applications after ILR status

Post by dezialien » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:57 pm

I have a very generic query in relation to appling for jobs after ILR. Some job sites (eg: jobserve) ask you to choose your status from one of the following:

*UK/EU Citizen
*Work Permit
*Sponsership Required

I am in a dielima what to choose as a ILR holder.

I do not want to choose Work Permit as it have a strong reason to believe most agencies have discriminatory approach. And also may discourage some client looking for a long term applicant.

I want to choose UK/EU Citizen, but I do not think this is legally my status. Could someone please enlighten me. Thanks very much.

derlin

Re: Job applications after ILR status

Post by derlin » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:33 pm

dezialien wrote:I have a very generic query in relation to appling for jobs after ILR. Some job sites (eg: jobserve) ask you to choose your status from one of the following:

*UK/EU Citizen
*Work Permit
*Sponsership Required

I am in a dielima what to choose as a ILR holder.

I do not want to choose Work Permit as it have a strong reason to believe most agencies have discriminatory approach. And also may discourage some client looking for a long term applicant.

I want to choose UK/EU Citizen, but I do not think this is legally my status. Could someone please enlighten me. Thanks very much.
Your query is very interesting. The closest answer is UK/EU citizen or Work Permit. However, you're neither an EU/UK citizen nor work permit holder. I advise you to choose UK/EU citizen as in my judgement it's closer to your ILR status. Should you be asked about proof of your UK/EU citizenship in the job interview, you can then explain jobsite failed to provide the option that reflects your ILR status.

dimsav

Re: Job applications after ILR status

Post by dimsav » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:58 pm

dezialien wrote:I have a very generic query in relation to appling for jobs after ILR. Some job sites (eg: jobserve) ask you to choose your status from one of the following:

*UK/EU Citizen
*Work Permit
*Sponsership Required
Clearly, 2nd and 3rd choices are not for you -- as an ILR holder you have the same rights for job as a UK citizen.

niruv

Post by niruv » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:02 pm

I think we still need to choose work permit because if we specify UK/EU citizen employer/Agent might believe that we dont need visa to work in EU which is not correct. When it comes to the job status ILR is still similar to work permit.

Thanks,
Niruv

derlin

Post by derlin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:23 pm

niruv wrote:I think we still need to choose work permit because if we specify UK/EU citizen employer/Agent might believe that we dont need visa to work in EU which is not correct. When it comes to the job status ILR is still similar to work permit.

Thanks,
Niruv
A work-permit holder has limited leave to remain in the UK, meaning his/her stay is time restrictive and in some cases tied to an employer. A person with ilr status has no time limit to her/his residence status, and can work for any employer. Comparatively, ilr is relatively close to UK/EU Citizen.