ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Accommodation queries

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

glace81
Newly Registered

Accommodation queries

Post by glace81 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:26 pm

Hello everyone!

I have queries about accommodation as I would like to sponsor my 12 year old son in Philippines to join me in the UK. As of now me and my husband is living in a one bed flat( on mortgage). I have another 4 year old son who is a British passport holder. Will my 12 year old son be refused on accommodation to join me? Will it be acceptable if we mention on our sponsorship letter that we will rent a house once his visa be granted or do we need to rent before I sponsor him?

My husband financial status is in excellent condition (£40,000/annual earning), the only problem is the accommodation.

Hope to hear advices and suggestions from everyone on this board...

Many thanks

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 am

There is a good chance that it may be refused if you simply have one bedroom to share amongst 4 people.

You will need at least 2 bedrooms .One for you and your husband to share , whilst both your kids can share the second bedroom providing it is big enough .

If this is not enough, then you should consider renting a property before you apply as you will then have secure accommodation, whereas it may not be considered secure if you state that you will move into a bigger place if and when visa is obtained.

For this you will need to show your tenancy agreement with the application

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:37 am

glace81 how many other rooms do you have in the property (aside from the Spam and the bathroom)?

glace81
Newly Registered

Post by glace81 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:53 am

@batleykhan Thank you for your reply and information provided.

@Greenie: We have a living room.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:07 pm

glace81 wrote:@batleykhan Thank you for your reply and information provided.

You can in theory count the living room as a bedroom if you wanted to, but do you want your kids( or yourself) to sleep in the living room at all times?. That's why I suggest you look for a bigger place where you and your kids will be able to live and sleep properly. :wink:

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:13 pm

batleykhan wrote:

You can in theory count the living room as a bedroom if you wanted to, but do you want your kids( or yourself) to sleep in the living room at all times?. That's why I suggest you look for a bigger place where you and your kids will be able to live and sleep properly. :wink:
children under 10 are counted as half a person, but children over 10 aren't so a place with one bedroom and one living room would not be enough for a couple with two children, one of who is over 10.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:33 pm

Greenie wrote:
batleykhan wrote:

children under 10 are counted as half a person, but children over 10 aren't so a place with one bedroom and one living room would not be enough for a couple with two children, one of who is over 10.
Yes but both her kids are boys, ( aged 10 and 4 = 1.5) therefore in theory they can share the bedroom and the parents can sleep in the living room. Had her kids being of the opposite sex,or both of them were over 10 yrs of age then it may have caused a problem.

Even with this arrangement, ( if it was allowed !!!) I still think there would be have been insufficient space for them to live a normal life...............just a thought :wink:

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:41 pm

the house would be overcrowded because 3.5 people would be sharing two rooms, when the limit is 3.

guidance on accomodation overcrowing

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:54 pm

Greenie wrote:the house would be overcrowded because 3.5 people would be sharing two rooms, when the limit is 3.

See your PM and let me know what you think mate :wink:

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:09 pm

batleykhan wrote:
Greenie wrote:the house would be overcrowded because 3.5 people would be sharing two rooms, when the limit is 3.

See your PM and let me know what you think mate :wink:
will have a look this evening - need to try to get away from the office!

glace81
Newly Registered

Post by glace81 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:19 pm

@batleykhan and Greenie:

Thank you. We are thinking to dispose this flat and buy a new house, but since it takes time to sell this flat, we may have to decide to buy one soon then. :)

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 pm

glace81 wrote:@batleykhan and Greenie:

Thank you. We are thinking to dispose this flat and buy a new house, but since it takes time to sell this flat, we may have to decide to buy one soon then. :)
You can if you wish,rent a property big enough for your family straight away and rent your flat out to someone till you sell it.That way you are not prolonging your son's application, You will only need to send your tenancy agreement as proof of secured accommodation that is big enough for your family.

Good luck :wink:

dza926

Post by dza926 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:20 pm

Since this thread is talking about accomodation, I thought I might add a question to it.

My parents rent a house and would be happy for my wife and I to stay with them (until such time that we get our own place). Would a letter from my parents and a copy of their tenancy agreement be ok? Or would further a letter from the landlord be required? I ask this as I'm not sure how co-operative their landlord is, even though there is no objection to family staying in the house in the tenancy agreement.

Also, they have been tennants there a long time, 7 years or so. I don't know if that makes any difference.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:32 pm

dza926 wrote:Since this thread is talking about accommodation, I thought I might add a question to it.

My parents rent a house and would be happy for my wife and I to stay with them (until such time that we get our own place). Would a letter from my parents and a copy of their tenancy agreement be OK?

Yes you would need a letter from your parents stating that you can live with them.

Or would further a letter from the landlord be required? I ask this as I'm not sure how co-operative their landlord is, even though there is no objection to family staying in the house in the tenancy agreement.

However above answer is dependant on the fact that your landlord has no objections to allowing some other members of the tenants( your parents)family to stay in property. If there is no problem above letter is all you will need

Also, they have been tenants there a long time, 7 years or so. I don't know if that makes any difference.

Will make no difference

dza926

Post by dza926 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:53 pm

Thanks, BatleyKhan -- would we also need to show a copy of my parent's tenancy agreement?

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:00 am

dza926 wrote:Thanks, BatleyKhan -- would we also need to show a copy of my parent's tenancy agreement?
Yes,you will need the letter from your parents and a copy of Shorthold Assured Tennancy Agreement ( which must have a minimum of 6 months lease remaining on it)

dza926

Post by dza926 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:10 am

And if I can just get, in writing, from the landlord that they don't object to myself and my wife staying with my parents until we find our own place to live.

Would that need to be sent, or just kept for our own reference?

Thanks again for your help, BatleyKhan.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:25 am

You can send it if you want to .

It is not required, but it maybe be helpful if sent.