ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maiden name -> Married name along with Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

t1seeker

Maiden name -> Married name along with Naturalisation

Post by t1seeker » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi all

I am an Indian citizen and I am going to apply for Naturalisation for myself and my wife and Registration for our daughter who was born in the UK. All three of us have Indian passports with ILR stamped.

I have few questions

1) My wife's passport is in her maiden name but we want to use this opportunity to apply for British citizenship / passport in her married name. Do I need a seperate deed poll for that prior to application?

2) My daughter's UK birth certificate has my wife's maiden name as Mother's name and consequently her Indian passport has the same. How can we make sure that my daughter's british citizenship certificate & passport has my wife's married name as Mother's name.

3) How can I get a new birth certificate for my daughter which specifies my wife's married name as Mother's name. Can I do it now by showing marriage certificate or do I have to get my wife's britsh passport first (in her married name) and use that to get a new Birth certificate for my daughter.

As you can guess I just want all of us to have the same last names everywhere to avoid any future complications.

In case it matters, I am going to apply through NCS.

Thanks in advance!

cherryplum

Post by cherryplum » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:40 pm

In short she can apply using married name even if her current passport is in maiden name - as long as she has her marriage certificate that shows the change form maiden to married name. I did the same. Not sure about the birth certificates- think they will always show the names on them.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:04 pm

Birth certificate has a section for the child name (including surname), the mother name (including surname) and the father name (including surname).

What is important is the child surname, not the parents one. Are you saying the child surname on the certificate is the same as the mother maiden name?

My experience with registering a birth is that the register office will write what you ask them to. I don't think I had to provide any proof of the names (they can check some of the data with the hospital record).