ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tire1 Extension: Is Director of a Ltd company self-employed?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Tire1Questions

Tire1 Extension: Is Director of a Ltd company self-employed?

Post by Tire1Questions » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:34 am

A new question:
I am a director of my VAT registered Ltd company in UK. Am i considered as "self employed" or an employee of my own company? While applying of extension, I would prefer if I am counted as an employee of my company as I am taking all my salary through PAYEE account and will get P60 from HMRC.
Well accrding to accountant, a director is a self-employed person. But technically speaking, a director is an employee.

Its straight forward case so far as proving income is consiered though payslips and bank statements for an employee.
If I am considered as self employed, I will have to attach my profit and loss account, company tax too which is not a problem, but for the sake of keeping my application straight, I am just wondering what this forum memeber suggest.

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:41 am

A very popular question this so here goes ......

Leaving aside what HMRC would say, many accountants/tax professionals would say and pretty much what everyone else would say, according to UKBA (as per the Immigration Rules):
Under Part 6A of these Rules, "Self-Employed" means an applicant is registered as self-employed with HM Revenue & Customs, or is employed by a company of which the applicant is a controlling shareholder.
Others have been told by caseworkers that it is different (so they don't always agree!) and I'm sure I'll be disagreed with in this very thread due to what others have experienced! So all in all it's not always clear when perhaps according to UKBA rules it should be.
Please don't private message me or e-mail me for free personal advice - you are just wasting your time writing something that won't get answered.
Anything written here shouldn't be construed as being formal advice given in a professional capacity.