ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling on the COA

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

megoizzy
Newly Registered

Travelling on the COA

Post by megoizzy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi all,

I have just received our passports back in the post, having requested them for travel next month. I was desperately hoping that the RC would be issued with this request, as I know that has worked for lots of other people, but sadly, no RC. :(

Anyway, we are going to be travelling to Ireland via ferry. I was just wondering about other people's experiences using the COA to travel internationally. Do most UK passport control agents recognise the COA and not give much trouble?

I am not concerned about entering Ireland, as I am not a visa national and it is my husband's home country (he'll be travelling with me).

Thanks!

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: Travelling on the COA

Post by ca.funke » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi megoizzy,

only if you are already married, the following is applicable:

Are you planning to travel to NorthernIreland or the Irish Republic?

Any trip to NI would be domestic, so no problems whatsoever.

Otherwise, you can travel as per >>EEA family member without Residence Card (Part 2)<<, which could or could not work.

Legally you´d be allowed to go in either case.

Rgds and good luck,
Christian

megoizzy
Newly Registered

Post by megoizzy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi Christian,
Thanks for your response. I was under the impression that the COA allowed you to travel outside the UK and back in? Is this not the case?

We are married and travelling to the Republic of Ireland (my husband's country of origin & nationality) via ferry from Holyhead and back.

*ETA: I am an American national and don't require a visa to enter the UK or Ireland.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:47 pm

megoizzy wrote:...I am an American national and don't require a visa to enter the UK or Ireland...
As a US-citizen, you can obviously just go anyway, no problems to be expected...

megoizzy
Newly Registered

Post by megoizzy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:49 pm

ca.funke wrote:
megoizzy wrote:...I am an American national and don't require a visa to enter the UK or Ireland...
As a US-citizen, you can obviously just go anyway, no problems to be expected...
Okay... I am not sure if I'm understanding your intended tone here. It is not obvious to me why "no problems are to be expected". I am only trying to make sure I understand the process and hoping for some kind advice or to hear the experiences of others. I am sorry if I have offended anyone.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:14 pm

megoizzy wrote:Okay... I am not sure if I'm understanding your intended tone here.
Intended tone was "friendly-informative although I´m in a rush (and non-native in English)", so forgive me if it came across rude :oops:
megoizzy wrote:It is not obvious to me why "no problems are to be expected". I am only trying to make sure I understand the process and hoping for some kind advice or to hear the experiences of others. I am sorry if I have offended anyone.
US citizens are not visa-required for visiting purposes in either Éire or the UK. All you need is your passport and evidence that you can support your stay, which may (usually) not exceed 90 days. In most cases they don´t even ask any questions, I´d take a credit-card to make sure. If you want to be super-sure take an invitation from whoever you´re visiting and/or the hotel-reservation, but this is most probably a total overkill...

As a family-member of an EEA-citizen you have far more rights, but you won´t need them since your purpose is "only" a visit. If you want to know: Being the family of an EEA-national you have an undeniable right to enter the country. Please read >>EEA family member without Residence Card (Part 2)<<. But like I said, you won´t need this!

Enjoy your trip :)
Last edited by ca.funke on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megoizzy
Newly Registered

Post by megoizzy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:16 pm

ca.funke wrote: Intended tone was "friendly-informative although I´m in a rush (and non-native in English)", so forgive me if it came across rude :oops:

US citizens are not visa-required for visiting purposes in either Éire or the UK. All you need is your passport and evidence that you can support your stay, which may (usually) not exceed 90 days. In most cases they don´t even ask any questions, I´d take a credit-card to make sure. If you want to be super-sure take an invitation from whoever you´re visiting and/or the hotel-reservation, but this is most probably a total overkill...

As a family-member of an EEA-citizen you have far more rights, but you won´t need them since your purpose is "only" a visit.

Enjoy your trip :)
Ah, thanks so much! I really appreciate your help and no rudeness inferred (internet comms can be so clumsy!).

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: Travelling on the COA

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:20 pm

megoizzy wrote:Hi all,

I have just received our passports back in the post, having requested them for travel next month. I was desperately hoping that the RC would be issued with this request, as I know that has worked for lots of other people, but sadly, no RC. :(

Anyway, we are going to be travelling to Ireland via ferry. I was just wondering about other people's experiences using the COA to travel internationally. Do most UK passport control agents recognise the COA and not give much trouble?

I am not concerned about entering Ireland, as I am not a visa national and it is my husband's home country (he'll be travelling with me).

Thanks!
Only because you are not a visa national, you should not have any problems.

BTW, asking for passport back should not accelerate your application. Your are now going to get RC on an A4 piece of paper.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:24 pm

Please see thread of A4 piece of paper business.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=99483

BTW, having read the rest of the thread and the other correspondence, I've use the word should in "should not have problems" because I don't know what might happen. You don't need a visa that's for sure.