ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish citizenship requirement in Northern Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

goldridgeg

Irish citizenship requirement in Northern Ireland

Post by goldridgeg » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:45 pm

Good day,

Please could you tell me if I need a GNIB card, a PPSN and a Person Identity Number to apply for Naturalisation through marriage to an Irish citizen? These documents are asked for on the INIS forms I have seen.

I am currently resident in Northern Ireland (a few months short of the required 3 years residence requirement), on a "No Time Limit" document issued through the UKBA. I will have all the necessary residential requirements to be able to apply for naturalisation.

We have also been married for 12 years with 2 children. I have always lived and worked in Northern Ireland, and plan to for the foreseeable future. So I can give proof of address, P60s etc.

When I arrived (flying into Dublin, drove to the north), it never occurred to me to apply for a GNIB card.

I have tried to find an answer on all the FAQ pages, to no avail.

Thank you for any assistance you can give.

Irisheddy

citizen

Post by Irisheddy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Is there some reason why you would prefer to be an irish citizen rather than British. I actually thought it would be easier for you to become a British citizen.

I could be wrong. can you please clarify.

goldridgeg

Re: citizen

Post by goldridgeg » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:39 am

Hello, thank you for the reply.

Yes a few reasons. First of all, I completed my KOL test to obtain my NTL visa. But I realised that I moved house, somewhere a long the line I misplaced this letter – and I know I should have kept a copy of it. The Home office does not keep copies, or are unable to give me it, even though once it is completed, it is uploaded onto their database. So I have to redo the test at a cost of £50. (Irish naturalisation does not need this)

Secondly with Irish naturalisation you do not pay for the full cost of naturalisation up front. You pay 175 euro, then 950 euro once the certificate is issued. As opposed to the full £851 for the UKBA.

I also plan to hold both passports eventually. But Irish first from a cost point of view. Then renounce my South African citizenship (it is easier to travel anywhere on any passport but South African)

Sorry for the long story, but to answer your question, I would not want to waste the money applying for the Irish side of things if I will be refused on the grounds I do not have al the requirements, documents-wise

Thanks for any feedback you could give

jhbmike

Re: citizen

Post by jhbmike » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:22 am

goldridgeg wrote:Hello, thank you for the reply.

Yes a few reasons. First of all, I completed my KOL test to obtain my NTL visa. But I realised that I moved house, somewhere a long the line I misplaced this letter – and I know I should have kept a copy of it. The Home office does not keep copies, or are unable to give me it, even though once it is completed, it is uploaded onto their database. So I have to redo the test at a cost of £50. (Irish naturalisation does not need this)

Secondly with Irish naturalisation you do not pay for the full cost of naturalisation up front. You pay 175 euro, then 950 euro once the certificate is issued. As opposed to the full £851 for the UKBA.

I also plan to hold both passports eventually. But Irish first from a cost point of view. Then renounce my South African citizenship (it is easier to travel anywhere on any passport but South African)

Sorry for the long story, but to answer your question, I would not want to waste the money applying for the Irish side of things if I will be refused on the grounds I do not have al the requirements, documents-wise

Thanks for any feedback you could give
You wont need to renounce youre South African citizenship, you will lose it automatically unless you apply to retain it before applying for citizenship of another country.