ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Home Office has passport How do I apply For DL

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

XO
Newly Registered

Home Office has passport How do I apply For DL

Post by XO » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:04 pm

The home office has been processing my student visa for 2 and a half years. I intend to apply for a driving licence, is it possible the Home office isume me a letter to send to DVLA confirming my ID???

Chess
Diamond Member

Re: Home Office has passport How do I apply For DL

Post by Chess » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:09 pm

XO wrote:The home office has been processing my student visa for 2 and a half years. I intend to apply for a driving licence, is it possible the Home office isume me a letter to send to DVLA confirming my ID???
Are you from a commonwealth country? if yes then you can use your birth certificate as proof of ID
Where there is a will there is a way.

XO
Newly Registered

Thank you!

Post by XO » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:12 pm

I never knew that, and that is very helpful advice.However don't they require documentation of leave to remain?

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:35 pm

no

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:48 pm

I think the passport is needed for more than just proof of ID, they wont issue you a drivers licence unless you are staying in the UK for more than 6 months (or it could be a year) They need to check what your residence status is before they issue the Drivers Licence.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Home Office has passport How do I apply For DL

Post by Christophe » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:13 am

XO wrote:The home office has been processing my student visa for 2 and a half years. I intend to apply for a driving licence, is it possible the Home office isume me a letter to send to DVLA confirming my ID???
From the IND website (at http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applyi ... fpassports):

Q: What if I need my passport to open a bank account or get a driving license?

A: If you want your passport back to open a bank account or get a driving license, we will make arrangements to help you.

So I suggest that you contact the IND; contact details are at the bottom of the same page or at http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/contactus/.