ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

welder seeks work in canada, offshore expirience

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dmax

welder seeks work in canada, offshore expirience

Post by dmax » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:45 pm

hi,
im a pipe welder, i have offshore expirience, am thinking of going to canada on holiday and bring all my qualifications with me, is this a sensible way to go about looking to get work in canada, i want to go to alberta and work on oil fields.

Any advice much appreciated thankyou

jrge

Re: welder seeks work in canada, offshore expirience

Post by jrge » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:06 pm

dmax wrote:hi,
im a pipe welder, i have offshore expirience, am thinking of going to canada on holiday and bring all my qualifications with me, is this a sensible way to go about looking to get work in canada, i want to go to alberta and work on oil fields.

Any advice much appreciated thankyou
This is a catch 22.

You could go on a Holiday and knock on some doors, or you can start applying on-line to every single operator (Chevron, Phillips 66) or service contractor (Weatherford, Halliburton).

Either way, if you find an employer willing to sponsor you, then they will have to apply for something called: Labour Market Opinion (LMO), and if approved, you could go and work there on a 2 year closed work permit. (The entire process could easily go upwards 4 months)

What about your current employer? Do they have operations in Alberta?

In terms of your certifications, I wouldn't be able to tell you whether they will accept them or not.

At the moment, the Oil Sands are drawing people from all over the world. And your trade, has a starting salary of $21 - $28 /hour. The more complex it is (diamonds, robots, etc) better the wage.
Life is short, so let's get moving!
* Passport received: Family Permit approved AUG-22, 2011
* Landed in the UK: DEC-04TH-2011
* Received RC: MAR-21ST-2012
* Back to North-America Jul 2012