ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Preparing for EEA2 App - Health Insurance, Plus NHS Access?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

corum
Newly Registered

Preparing for EEA2 App - Health Insurance, Plus NHS Access?

Post by corum » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:31 pm

Dear All,

I had a search around but can't see this answered anywhere else, hope I am not asking duplicate questions!

My wife (who is Russian) and I have been in the UK for two weeks now, she entered on an EEA1. I am British and employed in UK, she is my dependant and has no income as she is a full time mum to our British citizen son.

We managed to register fine at the local doctors surgery, last week so I was surprised to see that in the EEA2 application form it states that she must have proof of comprehensive sickness insurance. Is this correct? Or are they just re-using the form from something else?

So, I guess I am asking three questions -

1. Do I need to purchase comprehensive Health Insurance for her, in order to proceed with the EEA2 App?

2. If yes, Would a policy via Bupa or similar, provided via my employer be suitable, does anyone know?

3. At the moment, does she have in fact have access to NHS doctors, Emergency treatment, NHS Dentists etc? If she was ill, what would happen?

Many Thanks for any advice,

Corum.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:40 pm

I presume your wife has a EEA Family Permit and not EEA1 (which is for EEA nationals).

Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI) is only required for students or family member /EEA national who are self-sufficient. It is not required in your case.

She is entitled for NHS like any other UK resident. The CSI is only relevant to maintain residence according to the EEA regulations in order to obtain PR status in the future (but as I said - not relevant in your case anyway).

corum
Newly Registered

Post by corum » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi Jambo thanks for the reply. You are correct, it was under and EEA Family Permit not an EEA1. Thanks for the information too.

Corum