ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switchin from Tier 2 to Ankara Agreement

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

palaremzi

Switchin from Tier 2 to Ankara Agreement

Post by palaremzi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:59 am

Here's the background.
I've been here in the UK since Sept 09 on a Tier 2 visa working as a lecturer at a university. With things going at normal speed, by Sept 2014, having lived in the UK for 5 years I'll apply for ILR.
I am Turkish and Turkish citizens can remain and work here via the EEA route (Ankara Agreement). The Ankara agreement allows one to obtain the ILR only after 4 years. I thought if I switch to that route then I could apply for ILR by Sept 2013 not 2014. So, here are the questions
1. Can I switch from Tier 2 to the Ankara Agreement visa. More importantly can I keep working as a lecturer at the university. I have no intention of quitting my job.
2. If the above is a Yes, then can I apply for ILR by Sept 2013--that is, would my 3 yrs here in the UK count towards the 4 year requirement of the Ankara agreement.

I know it sounds a bit of a long shot but if succesful it would buy me a year.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:06 am

You may:
apply for further permission to stay in the UK after you have worked here for 1 year, so that you can continue to work for the same employer (if a job is available);
change employers after you have been working here for 3 years, if you are continuing to work in the same occupation; and
work in any type of job for any employer after you have been working here for 4 years.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... h/workers/
palaremzi wrote:The Ankara agreement allows one to obtain the ILR only after 4 years.
No! You can't aggregate time under T2 with time under Ankara agreement. Nor can you apply for settlement under Ankara Agreement

Under Article 6(1) of Decision 1/80 of the Association Council there is no provision for a Turkish employed worker to be granted settlement in the UK after completing four years legal employment in the category, only the freedom to take up employment with any employer.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary