ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR postal applications (excluding 10/14 yr.)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

RQI

Post by RQI » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:26 pm

bump wrote:I am inclined to write about this ridiculous waiting time to Dominic Littlewood on BBC or BBC watchdog. We are supposed to be the customers of HO and the service is pathetic. any ideas? media is the most effective medium to get anything done faster in this country. don't even like to talk about court cases.
There was an aritcle on BBC where a Canadian lady with two children had a spousal visa and applied for ILR after the visa expired. Her husband was in the British army and was busy serving in Afganistan and the UKBA wanted to put her children in care and send her back to Canada to apply for a visa all over again. After she went to the media and it was all over the newspapers, her ILR was approved after two days.

Perhaps the media really is the only way to speed things up, especially for those who has waited more than 6 months. After all, they are very quick to take our money but their support is non-existant. They aim to have 95% of the applications completed within 6 months? More like 70% at this rate!

the_onebd
Newly Registered

Go ahead

Post by the_onebd » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:27 pm

bump wrote:I am inclined to write about this ridiculous waiting time to Dominic Littlewood on BBC or BBC watchdog. We are supposed to be the customers of HO and the service is pathetic. any ideas? media is the most effective medium to get anything done faster in this country. don't even like to talk about court cases.
I'm also a victim of this situation mate! Carry on, write to watchdog. UKBA/Theresa May/Damien Green never left any opportunities to blame migrants workers everytime whenever they get any chances, so this time they MUST face the reality and answer ....

I say go ahead and I'll also write to watchdog tonight.

lakshtar
Newly Registered

Re: Go ahead

Post by lakshtar » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:06 pm

the_onebd wrote:
I'm also a victim of this situation mate! Carry on, write to watchdog. UKBA/Theresa May/Damien Green never left any opportunities to blame migrants workers everytime whenever they get any chances, so this time they MUST face the reality and answer ....

It is worth making a joint effort as against individual. The individual effort might address concerns of that particular case but may not the wider issue of UKBA in-competencies. Any suggestions on how to proceed for a joint effort?

bump

Re: Go ahead

Post by bump » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:28 pm

lakshtar wrote:
the_onebd wrote:

It is worth making a joint effort as against individual. The individual effort might address concerns of that particular case but may not the wider issue of UKBA in-competencies. Any suggestions on how to proceed for a joint effort?
I am making a letter to be sent to BBC watchdog. I will post it when finished(in about an hour). anybody can give suggestions, amendments or complete re-wright. I cant wait to see Theresa May drilled by Anne Robinson.

chweetgurl

Post by chweetgurl » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:01 pm

I am victim of Premium application although more then 4 weeks gone past no outcome although at the moment my MP has taken this matter not sure of positive quick outcome and having urgent travel plans to due ill family member the wait is stressing me to no end.

I am ready to join in if you would like to collate else can write to watchdog. Maybe if we flood them with our stories it may be taken seriously?
Also worth sending copies to leading newspapers even if one is aired news goes viral like it did for Border agency criticised last week

2ndclassC
Newly Registered

WatchDog

Post by 2ndclassC » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Just to let you guys know I have just filled out the form on the watchdog website so I implore you all to do it if you want answers.
Also what number are you all calling to get hold of the border agency?

mustang390

Post by mustang390 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:40 pm

Here is the Link for the BBC Watchdog.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/

And choose Subject GOURNAMENT & COUNCILS and then sub Category MISCELLENEOUS.

Good Luck

bump

Post by bump » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Sorry for the delay. Here is the letter I made. You don't have to send this letter. you can fill online form like 2ndclassC did. but some ideas in this letter might be useful. i made the letter in same format as the online form. good luck.

<Your name here>
<Date here>
Watchdog,
MC4 C5, Media Centre,
Wood Lane,
London W12 7TQ

Dear Sir/Madam,
Home Office is taking far too long to process my application for permanent residency in the UK.

I am one of the many who applied for Indefinite leave to remain(Permanent residency) after living a number of qualifying years in the UK. I applied for ILR on <Application Date> using the application form <SET(O)/(M)/(O) JR>. After <your waiting time> weeks, I haven't received anything from Home Office and all my attempts for finding out about the progress failed. I paid Home Office <your application fee> pounds for the privilege. Home Office statistics say they decide 95% of all applications within 6 months. Looking at some Internet sources, one can come to a conclusion that almost all of the applications take 6 months. I know couple of applications gone past 26 weeks mark. If they have given more statistical data about the time scale, I could have paid a bit more and taken the premium one day service.
I am having to postpone my travel plans until Home office sends me my passport back and more importantly, postpone important life decisions like taking a mortgage, starting a pension scheme, climbing up the career ladder etc.
Please consider my situation and help me to get a quick decision on my application. My details are below. Thank you.

Category – Government and Council
Sub Category – Miscellaneous
Forenames -
Surname -
Address – Street1
Street2
Town
Postcode
Daytime phone number:
Evening phone number:
Email address:

Company concerned: (e.g. Sunny Tours, Midbank, Tosh 486 (plus model number)
Indefinite leave to remain(ILR) application service, Home Office.
Home office reference: <Your full name, Country, Date of birth>

Date problem arose: Application date is <Your application date here>

I have copies of correspondence with home office.
Did you watch the programme this week? Yes
Are you happy for us to forward details of your complaint to the company concerned?Yes
Yours Sincerely

chweetgurl

Post by chweetgurl » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:08 pm

I was unable to send through their online link hence emailed them manually Fingers crossed
Also i have posted a new topic on this very forum to drum up more support
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=100640

thanks bump for :idea:

RQI

Re: WatchDog

Post by RQI » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:49 pm

2ndclassC wrote:Just to let you guys know I have just filled out the form on the watchdog website so I implore you all to do it if you want answers.
Perhaps our local MPs should be consulted as to what they think is the best way forward to get the UKBA's attention. They will be best to know how the system works.

If we want the right people to listen to the concerns we have, we first need to summarise a list of legitimate arguements for our case before it can be taken seriously. I'm afraid "it's taking too long" is not a good enough reason. Arguements I can think of are:

1. The UKBA charges circa £1400 to apply for an ILR for a main member and one dependant and even more for a family. The money is taken out of our account within 2 days however no feedback on the progress is given before 6 months and even after 6 months, their response to a telephone enquiry is a standard answer that it is being processed.

2. Being encouraged by the Government to work in the UK so that our skills can benefit the country and not being able to claim any public funds while paying full income tax and national insurance for between 4 and 5 years, which is the condition of our visas, then receiving this kind of service from the UKBA is unfair to say the least.

3. By arriving at the stage where we can apply for ILR, some of us had to apply for an initial visa for 2 or 3 years, then an extension. If our skills were that important, why not issue a 5 year visa straight away? Instead, the two stage process means we have to pay more fees resulting in some paying almost £10,000 including the ILR fees and using solicitors/agents. It seems unreasonable to have this kind of service from the UKBA when after all that we've contributed to the public funds, the one thing we ask for in return is a quick turn around time in our application. Are we going to go on the dole as soon as the application has been approved? No, we will continue to make a contribution to the UK economy.

4. Many applicants' lives are on hold such as mortgage applications (where further money is paid to the interest charged by the banks), critical and necessary travel plans, job promotions, sourcing new jobs, starting a new business and developing skills through further education.

5. Everything we do to meet the government's requirements have been done. One of which is the knowledge of life in the UK test. While it is a good idea to implement such a test to integrate into British culture, there is a fee of £50 per test in addition to having to but the text book for £10 making the total cost £60 per person. If the government is encouraging migrants to integrate, shouldn't this be provided at a reduced cost if not free after years of supporting the economy and receiving nothing in return other than NHS? Not even the text book is provided without cost.

6. Although it is understood that it is a priviledge to be accepted as UK citizens in the long run, which is why many choose to live here, we are simply asking for a faster turn around time in our ILR applications, nothing more. Considering the points highlighted above, is this too much to ask for after having contributed so much in the process?

The above is all I can think of at this stage. If anyone else wishes to add to that, please do and I think there can then be a comprehensive list of reasons why the higher level of people in government should look at the issue of the UKBA's processing times more seriously. There are some influencial MP's other than our local MPs who are supportive of skilled migrants playing a key role in the UK economy and I believe it is those MPs who should be contacted or emailed with our list of concerns.

Any more suggestions are welcome.

Cagedhorse
Newly Registered

re: List to watchdog/MPs etc.

Post by Cagedhorse » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:39 am

re: 2. If we were to claim anything, from various forums, some ppl's visas applications were actually rejected, so these sorts of rules do impact on our eligibility criteria. if people have been watching Mary Portas' Bottomline, you will see that we are all contributing to paying taxes by working, while some people, albeit "locals" will never work and never contribute in taxes and yet, we are being treated like beggars and refugees...

re: 3. Is there somewhere where UK visa fees are benchmarked against other nations? Is there somewhere that benchmarks processing times?

re: 4. I have been a victim of having my life on hold: Travel - missed out on many work trips already. 2 to Houston, U.S. and another to Brazil. Job - couldn't start at new company until Employee Checking Services matched HO records which were not up to date. Delayed resignation by 3 months! Ridiculous considering I would have been paid more and therefore more taxes to the UK govt! Education: I have delayed doing a degree for 5 years now, and probably i've left it too late (plus local fees is now almost on par to international fees, so all this waiting has been to no avail).

re: 5. Again, these tests need to benchmarked with other countries.

i think it's important to highlight how inefficient and bureaucratic the UK system is against other developed economies. This will demonstrate how poor the system is (can't even check progress using an online system), what extortion is (the fees per application) and now that it's over 6 months, i have become numbed by it all...

Timing
Newly Registered

Post by Timing » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:48 pm

RQI wrote:
2ndclassC wrote:Just to let you guys know I have just filled out the form on the watchdog website so I implore you all to do it if you want answers.
Perhaps our local MPs should be consulted as to what they think is the best way forward to get the UKBA's attention. They will be best to know how the system works.

If we want the right people to listen to the concerns we have, we first need to summarise a list of legitimate arguements for our case before it can be taken seriously. I'm afraid "it's taking too long" is not a good enough reason. Arguements I can think of are:

1. The UKBA charges circa £1400 to apply for an ILR for a main member and one dependant and even more for a family. The money is taken out of our account within 2 days however no feedback on the progress is given before 6 months and even after 6 months, their response to a telephone enquiry is a standard answer that it is being processed.

2. Being encouraged by the Government to work in the UK so that our skills can benefit the country and not being able to claim any public funds while paying full income tax and national insurance for between 4 and 5 years, which is the condition of our visas, then receiving this kind of service from the UKBA is unfair to say the least.

3. By arriving at the stage where we can apply for ILR, some of us had to apply for an initial visa for 2 or 3 years, then an extension. If our skills were that important, why not issue a 5 year visa straight away? Instead, the two stage process means we have to pay more fees resulting in some paying almost £10,000 including the ILR fees and using solicitors/agents. It seems unreasonable to have this kind of service from the UKBA when after all that we've contributed to the public funds, the one thing we ask for in return is a quick turn around time in our application. Are we going to go on the dole as soon as the application has been approved? No, we will continue to make a contribution to the UK economy.

4. Many applicants' lives are on hold such as mortgage applications (where further money is paid to the interest charged by the banks), critical and necessary travel plans, job promotions, sourcing new jobs, starting a new business and developing skills through further education.

5. Everything we do to meet the government's requirements have been done. One of which is the knowledge of life in the UK test. While it is a good idea to implement such a test to integrate into British culture, there is a fee of £50 per test in addition to having to but the text book for £10 making the total cost £60 per person. If the government is encouraging migrants to integrate, shouldn't this be provided at a reduced cost if not free after years of supporting the economy and receiving nothing in return other than NHS? Not even the text book is provided without cost.

6. Although it is understood that it is a priviledge to be accepted as UK citizens in the long run, which is why many choose to live here, we are simply asking for a faster turn around time in our ILR applications, nothing more. Considering the points highlighted above, is this too much to ask for after having contributed so much in the process?

The above is all I can think of at this stage. If anyone else wishes to add to that, please do and I think there can then be a comprehensive list of reasons why the higher level of people in government should look at the issue of the UKBA's processing times more seriously. There are some influencial MP's other than our local MPs who are supportive of skilled migrants playing a key role in the UK economy and I believe it is those MPs who should be contacted or emailed with our list of concerns.

Well said RQI. I think we need to do it together!

cmcmahon
Newly Registered

Post by cmcmahon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:53 pm

pleased to let everyone know i recieved my passport with a lovely 'settlement' stamp in it :D :D :D :D :D

Was stamped in Liverpool on the 22nd March and arrived to me yesterday the 16/4/12.

Massive weight lifted off my shoulders, can finally take my son home to see his australian relatives :) :) :)

hsmp2010

expedite

Post by hsmp2010 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:10 pm

could anyone tell me how long Home office takes to reply expedite email. I have sent mine 1 week ago but no reply yet.
thanx

Raja1900
Newly Registered

Special delivery envelope

Post by Raja1900 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi Congrats

Just wanna know did u sent special del envelope for return docs, and if it was used or not ?

thnx

quote="cmcmahon"]pleased to let everyone know i recieved my passport with a lovely 'settlement' stamp in it :D :D :D :D :D

Was stamped in Liverpool on the 22nd March and arrived to me yesterday the 16/4/12.

Massive weight lifted off my shoulders, can finally take my son home to see his australian relatives :) :) :)[/quote]

cmcmahon
Newly Registered

Post by cmcmahon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:08 pm

No i didnt, i wonder if i would have recieved it sooner if I had? They took long enough to send it :?

Hi Congrats

Just wanna know did u sent special del envelope for return docs, and if it was used or not ?

thnx

lakshtar
Newly Registered

Re: expedite

Post by lakshtar » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:18 pm

hsmp2010 wrote:could anyone tell me how long Home office takes to reply expedite email. I have sent mine 1 week ago but no reply yet.
thanx
Did you send the email to settlementpolicy@..... id? Tracking through the forum, it looks only susan received response to her email.

bump

Post by bump » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:47 pm

Timing wrote:
RQI wrote:

Well said RQI. I think we need to do it together!
good comments ROI. But I think there is no harm in trying more than one avenue. I agree the heading of my letter "it's taking too long" is not good enough. I am going to update my letter with your list of arguments. then we have a letter to be used in any form of action.

Raja1900
Newly Registered

UKBA Verification check

Post by Raja1900 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:43 pm

Does anyone know how UKBA does the verification checks with documents , i mean what do they do with the all utility bills ???????? how do they go about ???

quote="Raja1900"]Hi Congrats

thnx

quote="cmcmahon"]pleased to let everyone know i recieved my passport with a lovely 'settlement' stamp in it :D :D :D :D :D

Massive weight lifted off my shoulders, can finally take my son home to see his australian relatives :) :) :)[/quote][/quote]

Timing
Newly Registered

Post by Timing » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:21 am

RQI wrote:

One point to add to No. 1: It tooks UKBA 3-4 weeks to deliver all the documents back after they approve the application and stamp the passports. This delivery process is far too inefficient.

R&F

Post by R&F » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:27 am

cmcmahon wrote:pleased to let everyone know i recieved my passport with a lovely 'settlement' stamp in it :D :D :D :D :D

Massive weight lifted off my shoulders, can finally take my son home to see his australian relatives :) :) :)

Congratulations cmcmahon, good to hear that set m might be moving again.
:)

bob-russell

Post by bob-russell » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:25 am

Does anyone really believe it takes 2-3 weeks to deliver a passport? I don't! I suspect the date of issue is back-dated to make things look better.

2ndclassC
Newly Registered

Post by 2ndclassC » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:46 am

That's what they are doing Bob and that's why it's wrong. I know of no other country that does this but hey if we dont like it we should leave right?

Cagedhorse
Newly Registered

6 months and still waiting

Post by Cagedhorse » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:30 am

I called to chase the status of my application as it's already 6 months and it's "still being processed" and there is no end date as to when this will finish being processed even though my MP wrote to complain about my case not being recorded on the Employer Checking Service!

Very frustrating. Now contemplating for my work to write me a letter and will write a letter to my MP again to expedite the application.

Getting very frustrated with not being able to take a holiday to see my folks!

the_wait_is_over
Newly Registered

Post by the_wait_is_over » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:49 am

Hello All,

I have been following this thread for a few weeks and want to share below timelines for my SET (o) JR application

Applied: 21st Nov 2011
accounted debited and ack received: 23rd Nov
Passport received : 18th April, 2012
stamp date: 17th April, 2012

They used my self addressed NBD envelope and i engaged my MP to expedite my application last week and she mailed me on yesterday (17th) that UKBA have assigned a senior CW to my case. Frankly i was very surprised to see the pack returned so quickly after it was got stamped yesterday. It substantiates that your MP does have the power & can pull some strings to have the app trun around next day if they want to.

All the best everyone.