ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language requirement for new HSMP

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ispno1

English Language requirement for new HSMP

Post by ispno1 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:40 am

Hi everyone.

ive come back to this forum after a long time and after seeing the new HSMP scheme decided to apply again. the only problem i have in my application is that previously the english langauge requirement was not an issue but this new scheme lays more stress on it.

now my question is that i have a professional qualification from a UK body which has all its examinations in English as well as a distance learning degree from a UK univ also again in English. would is till need to take the IELTS?

i understand no one has applied under the new scheme but would be grt to have the opinion of other experts on this forum

Thanks

paramjit2k

hi

Post by paramjit2k » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:50 am

U need a letter from awarding univ/institution that degree was taught in english...

for format refer the guidance notes -> english requirements

:P
Regards,

Pam Aujla

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:17 am

As the new Guideline, says, If you submit your Original Qualification Certificate taught in English, and letter from the Institute, that it was taught in English; then it should not be a problem.

I am also planning to apply under the new scheme; only apprehension is about the language; though I have the Degree in English Language. How much emphasis is on IELTS is not mentioned in HSMP Guide notes; and no body has applied to it too.

In HSMP guideline aslo they have not mentioned that it is better to undertake IELTS? So again it is left better to individual's interpretation.
Moreover if they make it compulsory it would be better, to avoid confusion.

I am also confused abt taking IELTS or submitting my degree certificate and letter from the university.

Can somebody share thier ideas on this matter?

lella
Newly Registered

My degree certificate is stating the medium

Post by lella » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:34 pm

In My degree convocation certificate its clearly stated that the medium is english. Is it enough?

Cheers,
Suresh

ravi_k_b
Newly Registered

Post by ravi_k_b » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:26 pm

Its not mentioned on my Degree certificate that the course is taught in english.
I have degree in engineering from India where the medium of instruction is only english for any engineering course.

How can anybody who has left university several years back can get a letter from them (now when you are UK) saying that the course was taught in english?
This is quite annoying. Does home office pay all for people to go back to their respective universities to get letters like this?

Home office should consider this point. Otherwise, they should get the same confirmation from NARIAC as they do for confirming the degree certificate for education points.

rella

Post by rella » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:15 am

And remember that only bachelor's degrees count for this requirement. If you have a postgraduate degree that was taught in English, IT DOES NOT COUNT.

From the guidance notes:

Please note, whilst a Bachelors degree that meets the requirements specified above, will be accepted for the purposes of satisfying the English Language Requirement of your application, higher level degrees (such as Masters or PhDs) and professional/vocational qualifications will not.

This is because a Bachelors degree is normally taught over a period of at least three years, during which time a candidate is required to display a level of competence in each of the four areas – listening, reading, writing and speaking in English – equivalent to IELTS 6.

For higher degrees and professional/vocational qualifications, it is not possible to establish clearly that such a qualification would necessarily have been delivered in a manner that would test each of the required elements outlined above.

We emailed my husband's undergrad uni to try to obtain this letter. It's a U.S. uni. I would like to see the person's face who reads this request! I bet it's the first time they've ever had a request like this. :roll:

Newly Registered

Post by 77 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:02 pm

I had the same problem. I contacted CIMA UK asking them if they could get me a letter stating the course was conducted in english and they refused point blank as they said this is a UK examintaion and as the course is conducted ONLY in english they are unable to do so. They also went on to say that HO should know that and they would not expect a letter saying so.