ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family Visitors - (sister in law)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

agkh
Newly Registered

Family Visitors - (sister in law)

Post by agkh » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 am

Hi guys,

It's been a long time since I last posted; this lovely forum is my first call for any immigration query - i'm going to try to get my sister in law over.

I started a new thread because most family visitor post are for parents, who may have funding in bank account, property, etc..... but my sister in law is 22 still studying, no bank account and no property.

So my question how can one generally prove to the ECO/UKBA that they will be returning, and in the case of my sister in law, how can she show strong ties to her country?

Some additional infor on personal situation:
Some may remember a few years ago I applied for my wife and child, currently she is a British Citizen :) my child now 3 years and another one on the way.

The purpose of the sister in law to visit is to provide emotional/social support and to look after the kids, etc, basically my wife would feel more comfortable with a member of her family around.

She will take a break from study and I want her to visit from August to Feb (5 or 6 months).

I will be totally supporting her, I earn higher tax bracket earning, have 5 figure saving (that was only possible by living with parents for 6 months :lol: ) but I will be getting my own place next week, which will be a 4 bedroom place house in london to RENT!!! (yes - yet i cannot afford to buy my own place despite my earning and salary - so very sad :shock: ).

Anyway, despite all this - I cannot see why UKBA should give my sister in law a visiting visa!!! What strong reason can i give to them that she will return, and hard proof...an open return ticket???

Reason why she would go back but hard to find written evidence for:
-she has study to get back to (although she's not taking it seriously and has repeated a few years!!)
-she is the youngest ad not married - so spoilt by her mom all the time
-she enjoys lifestyle in her country, her friends and big family there
-she'll miss her mom (probably after 2 weeks!!)

So any ideas or suggestion will be greatly appreciated, i'm planning to get apply for Aug - Sept.

stephanielqy

Post by stephanielqy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:44 am

Hello,

I know someone in a similar situation. What strengthened their application, and hopefully yours is :

1. An open ticket (with a date to return booked)
2. A letter from the university/college/school stating that she is indeed taking a break during term and will resume her studies upon her return
3. A receipt from the university/college/school showing she has paid for the following year or term

Good luck!

agkh
Newly Registered

Post by agkh » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi there

Thanks for the ideas, I can do them both, she'll speak to college today. Document will probably be in foreign language - does it need to be officially translated or can I just give a summary translation of it?

Shall I book the (expensive) open return ticket before applying and getting the visa?

stephanielqy

Post by stephanielqy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:36 pm

It would be safer to get the letter officially translated.

I guess her decision to go with an open ticket would depend on the turnaround time of the visa approval in her country and her date of travel. If she submits an application well in advance, there might not be any harm in saving some money and booking a cheaper, non-open ticket. The UKBA website states that the applicant should not make any travel plans, but if she's organised, it'll be fine. Providing the ticket shows the immigration officer her intent to return home within the limits of her visitor visa but I don't think that it's crucial to provide it.

I would focus on getting the letter from her college and getting it translated! From previous posts, the mods/gurus have pointed out that a return ticket does not necessarily show intent to leave, however it does help the overall picture of your sister's application.

Hope this helps!