ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish citizen by decent help required!

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Abarthturbo
Newly Registered

Irish citizen by decent help required!

Post by Abarthturbo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi I hope you can offer advice.
My mother in law was born in 1951 in South Africa and lived there all her life. Her father born in Dublin 1917 to British Parents. He acquired British Citizenship by decent according to Uk Home office. Although his passport state British by birth. He never  acquired South African citizenship.   Is my mother in law entitled to an Irish passport by decent and how would this apply to my father in law and their children i.e my wife who were all born and raised in South Africa. Myself including my wife have dual British & South African nationality. British citizenship acquired via ancestry through naturalisation. If she is entitled to an Irish passport would there be a problem if she uses it to visit us in the UK and what restriction would apply to her as South Africans requires a visa to visit the UK. South africa does allow dual nationality. Thanking you in advance  

Abarthturbo
Newly Registered

Post by Abarthturbo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:45 pm

Could someone offer advice on my questions?
Thanking you in advance.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi Abarthturbo,

Your mother-in-law is entitled to become an Irish citizen by having her name registered in the Foreign Births Register. See:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... scent.html

Once registered, she can apply for an Irish passport.

As an Irish citizen, your mother-in-law is entitled to enter and remain in the UK unconditionally.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

Abarthturbo
Newly Registered

Post by Abarthturbo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:55 am

Thank you Ben