ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

company mergence, re-apply WP?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nonothing

company mergence, re-apply WP?

Post by nonothing » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:23 am

recently our company (let's call it "ABC") merged into another company ("XYZ") which is a well-known company listed in the London Stock Exchange. our company becomes a subsidiary company but keeps our own identity, office and infrastructure. everything looks unchanged, except a prefix is added onto our company's name which is changed from "ABC" to "XYZ ABC".

could anyone tell me if i need a new WP? if i keep working under my current WP, would it be a problem when i apply the ILR next year?

the mergence took place a couple of months ago. i didn't realize it could be a problem until i recently noticed that my salary is paid by "XYZ group" rather than "ABC company" on my bank statement. am i working unlawfully already?

thanks in advance.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:08 am

If you are employed by the same company then where is clearly nothing to worry about. So the question is ... is it the case that your employer has merely changed its name? If so, nothing to be concerned about.

An easy way to check would be to use the Companies House website .... click here ... and then go to "find company information".

If you are now employed by a different company ... you have been transferred from one company to another ... we are not just talking about a change of company name .... you might like to discuss the implications with your HR department.
John

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:32 am

John wrote:If you are employed by the same company then where is clearly nothing to worry about. So the question is ... is it the case that your employer has merely changed its name? If so, nothing to be concerned about.
john, thanks a lot, you're always the quickest.

it's exactly the case. actually i've checked the CH website, our company's name even remians unchanged. but i'm still a little worried about the bank statement. y'know i'm getting increasingly worrying because the recent chenges by the HO. have you got any official link about it? sorry, maybe i'm asking too much.

do you think i should ask our company to write to the HO to clarify the issue?

cheers.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:42 am

Would I be right in thinking that you work for a medium to large size business? If so, as previously mentioned, I think you should speak to your HR department and see what they have to say about this matter.

That is, I would expect the HR department to have some level of knowledge about Work Permits.
John

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:52 am

you're right, john. i'm going to do so. cheers.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:54 am

John wrote:
Would I be right in thinking that you work for a medium to large size business? If so, as previously mentioned, I think you should speak to your HR department and see what they have to say about this matter.

That is, I would expect the HR department to have some level of knowledge about Work Permits.
I think that's very good advice. However, just one word of caution: I too work for a large company that has an apparently competent HR department (and, indeed, they generally are so), but they have not always been accurate in their advice/comments about work permits when the question has arisen about employing someone with a work permit (or who would need one). So, you do need to make sure that you're talking to someone in the department who is knowledgeable about immigration and work permit issues.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:44 pm

just spoken to our PR manager, he assured me it wouldn't be a problem at all and if necessary he would write a letter to clarify the situation for me when i apply the ILR. so, i'd leave it just for now.

thanks, guys.