ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice regarding benefits after ILR

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

1sppandey

Advice regarding benefits after ILR

Post by 1sppandey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi All,

We recently got ILR approved and have received our BRPs. I have a couple of questions regarding benefits..hope some of you can guide

1) Does claiming benefits before naturalisation (getting british passport) affect the appplication for british Citizenship..? I mean can the application be refused in the light of the matter that someone is claiming benefits..??

2)My wife has been unemployed for the last 2 and half years as she is a dentist from overseas but cant practice as she needs to pass an exam (callled ORE) before she can become a dentist in UK..but she has not been successful in passing the exam soo far. Is there some type of benefit she can claim as a bit of extra money would really help me out right now..??

You would very helpful if you can guide me in the right direction on this.

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:52 pm

If you both have ILR you can claim benefits without restriction as you are no longer subject to Immigration control. This won't affect a BC application.

1sppandey

Post by 1sppandey » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:53 pm

Ya we both got ILR now..what benefits am i eligible for..??

Thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:06 pm

It depends on your financial, personal and family circumstances.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItO ... /DG_172666

Click on the above link.