ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship status for baby born in India after parent's ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jainmanglesh
Newly Registered

Citizenship status for baby born in India after parent's ILR

Post by jainmanglesh » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:57 am

Hi Everyone,

both I and my wife got my ILR on 18th April, 2012. We are expecting baby on 1st August. Considering the post ante-natal support we would get in india from relatives we are planning to have baby in india.

I have following query:
1. will baby get british citizenship and will i have to apply british citizenship (in british consulate in india) for baby.
2. if baby does not get british citizenship then will i have to apply for ILR for baby in india to come back here in UK.
3. After coming to UK, what about process for registration and then baby's citizenship.

Thank you very much.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:19 pm

1. No.
2. Yes. See Child settlement visa.
3. If and when one of the parents apply for naturalisation.

See more in Q1 in FAQ - most common questions - children.

jainmanglesh
Newly Registered

Post by jainmanglesh » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:33 pm

I really appreciate your quick reply. Thank you very much Jambo.
regarding the last question, do i need to register the baby and then if and when we apply for naturalisation, we can apply for baby's as well.

So for baby, there will be 3 steps process
1. Get ILR from india for baby so that baby can come with us to UK
2. After coming here, register baby
3. Apply for naturalisation for baby too, if and when we apply for our naturalisation.

Could you please correct me.

Thank you very much.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Not sure what you mean by "register the baby".

If this is to register the birth, then this is not required. If this is to Register him as a British Citizen, then this should be done when you apply for naturalisation (the procedure for minors is not called naturalisation but registration).

Step 2 is not required.

ImmAdvCenLtd
BANNED

Post by ImmAdvCenLtd » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:46 pm

Hi
You dont naturalise a child. If the child comes to the UK with leave to enter then you can apply under Section 3(1) of the British Nationality Act 1983 for the child to be registered as a British Citizen at the discretion of the secretary of state. This will be that his parents have applied for naturalisation also and it would be appropriate in the circumstances for the child to be registered also.

Registration i this sense is different to the registering of a birth as the previous post says.